“Do it”
Review of St. Mary's Glacier

St. Mary's Glacier
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

I'm not the most in shape hiker so the start of this was definitely a workout but so worth it for the views of the lake. Friendly pwople and a relatively easy traul. Great for beginners like me!

Reviewed October 27, 2013

About and hour and ten minute drive from Denver to get to this gem! It's about 9 miles off of highway 70. It was colder than expected when we got out of the car and it was windy. There are port o potties in the parking lot. Worth the $5 fee to park. You warm up quickly once you start hiking and if you are in the sun. As other's have said the trail isn't that well defined. The many footsteps in the snow help. After about 15-20 minutes you come to the frozen pond, glacier with a stream and bridge. We went on a weekday and we saw only a few other groups of people and on the hike back we didn't see anyone. Be careful walking as there are icy patches. Well worth the trip. We packed a lunch and ate it on a rock at the glacier. Wear hiking shoes or snowboots for best traction and warmth.

1  Thank batmik
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Took photos from the lake. Did not hike (3/4 mi) to glacier due to cold temp and high winds the day I was in area. Drove around area and was able to take photos of glacier and mountain.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

My son and I went. Parking was easy. We hiked the short hike to the lake which was pretty, but very overrun with people. We hiked past the lake up over a snowfield and then saw a valley heading up higher. We went up there and eventually up to a high plains area which was absolutely stunning and didn't have many people at all. Only people willing to put forth the effort to get up there. No trash, fresh air, gorgeous views across to James Peak to the west and towards the plains to the east.

1  Thank MileHighJacket
Reviewed September 5, 2013

The hike is only 10-15 minutes to the base of the glacier but it is incredible once you arrive. I hiked on the glacier for a while and had a blast. I highly recommend going here.

1  Thank grmagnu24