“Cool, naturey, historic hot springs”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hot Sulphur Springs
Hot Sulphur Springs Resort & Spa
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Cool, naturey, historic hot springs”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My sweetheart and I, along with my 16 year old daughter headed to the springs to have a fun birthday weekend. We stayed in the 1840s cabin, which we really enjoyed. The place does not look 1840s on the inside, but is super clean and well maintained (minus drippy kitchenette sink and phone jack with no cover) and decorated with rustic log furniture. The fireplace adds a nice ambience- make sure you open the flue before you light the logs they provide. We had the complimentary champagne and OJ in the morning. :-) This cabin is a great choice for a romantic weekend away! Catch the sunrise and sunet on the porch...so peaceful. And you can bring dinner back to the cabin and eat at the cozy little table with the fancy plates and glasses they set it with.

The pools are what you would expect from a natural, historic hot springs. Varying levels of heat dependent on which pool you are in. There was a nice variety of types of pools. Some of the pools are outdoors and some are inside the solarium area. Some are stone and very pleasant and natural looking and some are plastic and smooth. We enjoyed each. I especially liked the plastic ones for napping...they're easy on the arms when you lean back. Obviously, as the name would imply, there is a sulphur smell to the water/steam. This added to the natural experience (it smelled nothing like a harsh chlorine pool). And there are floating algea in many of the pools, which also goes along with the natural-ness of it. I found the locker room and pool areas to be VERY clean - that said, mineral rich water leaves minerals behind...maybe that is what other reviewers have interpreted as dirty?

The staff was nice to us, smiled, answered our questions, etc. Lots of signs about what not to do and 2, yes 2, places to leave tips (tips for doing what?).

Not much for kids under 12 to do here.

If you stay in the cabin and it's during cooler than summer weather, bring fuzzy boots, sweats, t-shirt and sweatshirt to wear to and from the pools. You can change in the locker room there. It's a short walk between the cabin and pools, but long enough to get cold again!

The towels they provide look small and thin, might want to bring your own beach towels.

Lodging seems to be overpriced. There is a campground right next to this place called Pioneer. I didn't see any tents, but there were several small RVs.

All in all, I'll definitely be going back knowing that this is NOT a "resort", but a natural, historic, hot springs that hasn't been spoiled by a corporation yet. :-)

Room Tip: The 1840s cabin was romantic and cozy. The views of the sunrise and sunset from the porch were beau...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank UrbanSheila

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My hubby and I stayed in the apartment, which wasn't bad, but the soaking pools are mostly old small hot tubs that are not well cared for. The "healing" waters were so smelly and gross that we only soaked for 15 minutes total. It had so many floating particles in it that I could feel them brushing against my skin. One pond had many visible hairs floating in it and our suits were covered with little white chunks of "magnesium". Not worth the drive!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rhonda P

Travelers are raving about these Hot Sulphur Springs hotels

Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

We rented the apartment and it's the only way I would recommend doing it. You get the whole place to yourself overnight after everyone leaves. Naked hot tubbing in the great outdoors! How awesome!

The staff was friendly the apartment was very clean and we really enjoyed ourselves. I'm not sure if I could do it for more than one night but it was awesome while we were there!!!!

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Captainhowdie
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I tried calling several time before going to Hot Sulphur Springs pools but the phone went unanswered & my email was kicked backed. Looking at the web site photos, the swimming pool looked great. I packed a picnic lunch and drove over with my three grand children ages 8-10.
It was expensive, but I knew the cost from the web site but figured several hours of swimming & the mineral pools it would be worth it. To me it wasn't worth the price of admission for the following reasons:
1. The swimming pool is unheated & downright cold.
2. The kids got bored very quickly with the three small pools they were allowed to use.
3. They ask you to leave the pool area for your picnicking.

So after about 45 minutes we were back in the car heading home and enjoyed the picnic on our deck. It's too expensive for such a short time. Hope this helps others that may have children or grand children about the same ages and wondering about the facility.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Jddea
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

Clean, cozy rooms that definitely have a lived in feel but the beds were comfy, train woke us up a few times, but not annoying. Receptionist with bright blue eyes and short hair was helpful and nice. Other ones seemed like they could care less to be there. Hot spring pools were AWESOME. Again, a homey feel, lots of variety from the great 'self massage' to the private pools. My favorite was the hot one at the top of the moutain! We tried them all! Free towels w the room. I felt clean in all the pools, you could tell they drained and cleaned them, there was natural algae growth, only to be expected. Go to Glory Hole for breakfast-place is soo yummy.

Go to this place expecting a comfortable place to stay and relax- not really a 'resort' in my mind but a really wonderful stop during our trip!!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Mundagreen
The Villages, Florida
Reviewed August 9, 2012

If you like nature and camping, you'd love this hot springs. It is very rustic and worn down a bit but if you like soaking in hot springs, this is it. This is not Germany's Baden Baden. There are 24 pools all together and there is one which is close to 112 degrees. For die hard Asians, this probably will be right. For me temperatures between 107 to 109 was great. There were three. The rest of 20 were two lukewarm for us. Rooms are rustic simple so don't expect much. Dining out is difficult and no food available at the so called "resort". I rated very good because there are no other hot springs with temperatures of 112 that I know of in the U.S.

Room Tip: There is no good room
Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Yori O
Lenexa, Kansas
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Rude staff, snotty and unhelpful. The private baths are abhorrable - there's no excuse for the old puddles of festering water in the entrance. As another review has said, there is nothing "natural" about it. You can't pay for 1/2 hour either - so we ended up paying $15/person for an hour and only using about 20 mins - and that was just so we could get some of our money's worth. Wish we could have gotten our money back as soon as we stepped in that foul place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Winter Park Mountain Lodge
Winter Park Mountain Lodge
#3 of 15 in Winter Park
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fraser - Winter Park Area

Been to Hot Sulphur Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!