“Well pleased with our stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hot Sulphur Springs
Hot Sulphur Springs Resort & Spa
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We have soaked at the springs here before and as recently as last Fall. This time we decided to stay at their lodging instead of an area motel. Good choice! They have improved these aging rooms since we last stayed here some years ago and they now have comfortable beds, decent mattresses, small but crisp DirecTV service and a feeling from the staff that your stay is appreciated. The train whistle is noisy and wakes you at night - but that is part of the ambiance. The pools are, as always, well maintained, clean, safe, and have every range of heat that you may want - or could stand.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WatacheCO

Reviewed May 1, 2012 via mobile

We stayed there in march 2012, and it was not good. There is a train track 100 yards from we're you stay that runs all night. Ear plugs are not enough for that, wow. They say bring kids but people were being yielded at for being too loud. The employees did not seem to care at all that there were a family of snakes living a foot away from a pool, often they fall into the pool.

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank Texielane
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I took a friend, and some exchange students we were hosting to this place for our last day of spring break. I was a little nervous, since it was 200 miles of driving from where we lived, and mountain passes aren't exactly fun in the snow, especially driving a little two-door car. It was definitely worth the drive out there, however the prices did seem a little bit steep, and I expect that many of the better tubs were the ones closed for the season, which kinda sucked in the heavy snow. The only staff member I met was very rude, and just stared at us for about five seconds, before asking bluntly if we wanted to go in. Luckily, once you pay, there really aren't too many faults.

I would have liked bigger pools, though considering how rocky the area is, I can see why that wouldn't be easy, and it really wasn't a problem for only four people. My friend complained about the smell of the place a bit because he'd never been to a hot spring before, but I've been to a couple, so I wasn't too bothered. Also, I feel like the pools should have been filtered to some extent. Some contained algae, and although it may sound authentic, it was a little bit weird. I kind of liked the trains that passed through, but if I wanted to stay overnight, I'd probably go to a different motel, since I don't think I could stand it at night. But overall, I'm probably going to go back.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Reming2nN
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Nice and clean room. The train woke me up like 4 times at night but I went right back to sleep, didn't bother me at all. I actually like watching trains. I would stay here again. We paid $118/night including tax and the pass to the pools for the day of check-in and check-out for both of us. The pools were great and the staff were friendly. My personal favorite was the Ute pool (I think that's how it was called) with the fountain. It has a small cave to the right of the fountain if you are facing it. The temperature in that cave is the hottest of all the pools. So I loved it! I would recommend exploring all the pools with their locations and temperatures in the daylight because they don't have the map of the pools. We did that on the second of our 3 days and we found a very neat pool from which you can see the passing train. That was fun. There is also a magnesium pool in the building with the lockers. The lockers by the way are 50 cents for every time you open them or you can bring your own and use it. The towels are $2 or bring your own. Also, some people had robs on which I think was really helpful in winter. It was cold to run from on pool to the other. Eventually the robs and the towels freeze and stiffen and you can't use them anyways. I would not take your best bathing suit because the smell stays after washing.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Russian28
Reviewed February 12, 2012

We almost cancelled our reservation after seeing such a balance of poor reviews, but arrived to be relieved that its a fine place! No worries. This property's biggest flaws are poor expectation-controls, and a lack of welcomeness. Compared to the other properties in town that have a balance of good reviews, our theory is those are GREAT places for $50/night in a rural roadside motel; and this place was very nice (in fact one of the best small town, natural hot springs we've visited.

My guess is people giving it such poor reviews came expecting a 'resort and spa.' If that's the case, you may be disappointed, but we still feel this is one of the better natural hot springs we've visited. Our suggestion is to rename it Hot Sulphur Springs Historic Lodge.

It was not - in our experience - dirty or poorly cared for by any means. Our room was at the far east end (newer) accommodations. Definitely clean and up to date with no fear of vermin or poor sanitation. The rooms were quiet, save for the train for which they provide earplugs and PLENTY of warning if you rent a room (and we found it enjoyable in a nostaligic way).

The pools were great - lots of comfortable sitting places and ideal temperatures. The pools are not 'filthy and full of feathers' - they are true wild natural hot springs with mineral-laden water and lots of thermophyllic algea - meaning its the unadultrated water coming from the ground running through various pools and basins. It is not treated and filtered, so several of the pools have native stone with hot-water seeps. The water has enough mineral content that it WILL discolor jewelry quickly (oops). The problem may be there are modern 'hot tub' basins with this wild water, and the basins get discolored with natural growth of algea. Its much more acceptable in the concrete and stone basins. In a wild hot spring, this would be 'authentic' but on a 'modern' spa it probably tends to look more unsanitary. It never bothered us. Other areas that people called dirty I found to be concentrations of minerals. The caustic fumes have caused the varnish on the railings to peel (why not use stain), the lockers to rust, etc. But really was great boardwalks to great springs. If you've ever been to Mammoth in Yellowstone, you'd see the same concretions formed in naturally mineral water. Made the skin and muscles feel great!

There is room for improvements, however. The management is indeed negative. Many times, I think we found ourselves saying "if you don't want people here, just close" - examples - lots of negative signage - at least 5 "NO" something signs for every welcome sign. In the lobby, a decorative art crane covered with 'please don't touch crane' handwritten sign; historic photos with handwritten sign 'please don't touch photos', a restroom well into the interior of the resort with a sign 'for customers only' (has it really been such a problem with non-customers that far from the highway?). Our only contact with what we presumed to be the owner was a challenge upon entering (after a warm welcome from the front desk) asking 'You staying in the Motel?' then walking away when we said yes. Felt like he didn't trust that we'd paid? Or maybe wanted to 'check in' that we weren't sneaking something in? Could have been much better like "Thank you for visiting, are you a guest in our motel? That's great, thanks for staying."

Feels like too much attention to controlling behaviour and very little interest in helping you have a great stay. However, the milky turquoise water and relaxing atmospher was great. For a 'resort and spa' handing out towels of decent quality rather than small rags would go a long way. A short, simple flash of lights for 'last call' would feel more welcoming than the frantic flashing of lights 30 mins before closing. We also had concern with the amount of salt used on the decks. Yes, the trex (and nicely done) boardwalks get slippery but no way to wipe off feet before going into the pools and LOTS of salt used so how does that affect the water.

Overall, we liked it, we'd go back, maybe stay at another lodge or camp, but would still consider staying there. Just allow for the quirky attitude towards customers and plunge in - the relaxation is worth it.

Room Tip: We were put in an ADA accessible room, but none of the pools nor the main office would be wheelchair...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Skot L
Reviewed January 5, 2012

The pools at this motel are wonderful. Many small pools throughout the hill that seem secluded and intimate; varying temperatures; open from 8:00am to 10:00pm. We stayed one night and the cost of the room meant we were allowed to use the pools the entire day of check in and the entire day of check out. This was a great feature since we have family living in the town. The motel room was just so-so, and not worth the price EXCEPT for the hot pools. The buildings that house the rooms are right next to the train track so the earplugs they provided in the room were needed. The rooms haven't been updated, and are bare-bones, the heat is variable, the heater was loud, the shower pressure was low. However, the bed and pillows were very comfortable, and everything was clean. We would definitely stay again because of the friendly staff and the hot pools, but we won't stay more than one night at a time.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WyoTravlr
Reviewed November 7, 2011

After reading many negative reviews on all hot springs within driving distance of Denver we went with this as it was the closest. We had a great time! It was 12 degrees and snow on the ground at about 6pm when we got there. Not crowded, friendly staff, and great pools. We actually loved the train! There is a small isolated pool when you are directly across from the track. We stayed there for almost an hour just waiting to see a train. Wouldn't you know, 2 minutes after we change pools we heard the train! It would have been really neat to watch it go by while laying in the isolated pool.

We spent most of the time in pools by ourselves because there were so many pools and not many people. Maybe it was the time of year, but we wouldn't have needed to pay for a private pool. It was a great experience! Next time we want to go for a few days and stay in the cabin, from the outside it looks really cute and would be a fun weekend trip with friends.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
The Vintage Resort Hotel & Conference Center
The Canyon Motel
The Canyon Motel
#1 of 3 in Hot Sulphur Springs

Been to Hot Sulphur Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!