“Still excellent pastries and sandwiches, but not traditional onion soup”

Pierre Michel Organic French Bakery
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 5, 2014

This is one of my very favorite restaurants in Highlands Ranch, and I adore their sandwiches and pastries. So, it was with great enthusiasm that I wanted to take advantage of their Soup a l'onion au gratin. Onion soup is my favorite treat all over France, and hoped this would be a local place that did it justice. I was a bit apprehensive when they described it as "vegetarian", but thought that, since it still had cheese, how different could it be? I was so enthused that my husband and I both decided to get the bowl of it ($8.99) and make a whole lunch of it, as I often do in France.

I was totally unprepared for the taste, or almost lack thereof, and it was most definitely not the soup to order if you are expecting traditional French onion soup. This actually tasted sweet, had little cheese, and was a very thin broth--almost watery. The server said it was because it was made with vegetables and not beef broth. Actually, few vegetarians I know consume cheese (from an animal), so it wasn't completely vegetarian. It was full of onions, but they, too, tasted sweet--something that one doesn't expect from French onion soup. My husband didn't finish his, either, and we would definitely not order that again.

Just to make sure all was not a loss, I ordered my favorite sandwich to take home, and my husband ordered his favorite pastry. A shame, as they are ordinarily quite excellent in everything they make! We will certainly return, but not for the onion soup.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Truly great pastries and sandwiches in the "DisneyWorld" of suburbs (Highlands Ranch). Excellent ingredients make for wonderful sandwiches - no problem altering one for a food allergy. No hesitation for to-go orders either. I was welcomed by the staff when I entered the restaurant and was given the best attention while waiting for the order. I'll definitely be back for dinner and breakfast too.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

I was really excited to have a ne breakfast place in Highlands Ranch, but was very disappointed when we tried it today. The service was poor and the food was just okay. It was also overpriced compared to other similar restaurants in the area. I had seen some poor reviews but thought they would improve after being open a while-not the case.

3  Thank Caroline3412
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Great place in Highlands Ranch. The entree salads are excellent and the fresh french bread is very welcome. The decor is light and bright and very comfortable. My wife and I have been twice in the past week and will be making this a regular stop. There's a good wine and beer selection (Black Butte Porter for $4!). The desserts looked wonderful but after the large salad one wasn't needed. My wife had the small portion salad and was very satisfied with the portion. I can't wait to try the French toast and crepes.

Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

This place has really gone downhill since it moved into a larger location. Reservations are meaningless (especially on holidays). I thought I would give this place yet a 3rd chance (after having waited for food nearly 1-1/2 hours previous times) so I made reservations for 10:30am and when we arrived they told us it would be an hour wait because the previous sitting (which was 8:30) was still eating. The reason they couldn't move everyone through was because the kitchen couldn't keep up with orders. Once seated we were told they were out of pastries and then waited nearly an hour for food. No one came around the whole time even to refill coffee while we were waiting. Then we were told that they were "out of bread", which seems crazy since the bread & jam is supposed to accompany each meal and it is a French bakery, after all. Unfortunately, they just don't have the
infrastructure yet to deliver what folks expect. It is sad because the service used to be outstanding when it was a small mom & pop bakery with 6 tables.

4  Thank Sarah S