“The food was good, service could have been better”

Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 130 Restaurants in Highlands Ranch
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Yosemite
Transit: Light rail stop on Lincoln is less than half a mile away. Light rail on County Line is one mile away.
Description: Located on the South side of the United Artists Meadows 12 Movie Theater and near Park Meadows Mall, the Park Meadows Rio is where good people, a unique atmosphere, and honest, wholesome ingredients make everything better. Great happy hour with outdoor patios, private space & large party reservations available. We offer a festive & delicious experience for all ages.
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We went here with 3 adults and 2 young children (5 years old) on a Saturday night. By 5:30 there was a really long wait, but we had a reservation, so we got in right away. The food was brought out quickly and it was hot and tasted great. The menu had a variety of items, but not so many that you are overwhelmed. It also purported to accommodate special dietary needs, including a gluten free menu. We didn't test it, but I think it's worth mentioning. The one negative I have to mention was the service. The waiter became rude when some of our party was late and practically insisted that we order without them. We waited anyway and once everyone was there, we didn't have any further issues, but I wasn't happy about having to tell him several times that our friends got hung up and they were on their way and that we wanted to wait to order.

Julie S, Manager at Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Please accept my apology for the rushed experience & less than accomodating service on your visit to us last October. We definitely aim to deliver great service to every guest. We have recently undergone some management & staffing changes and would welcome any feedback on how your next visit to us goes. I think you will be pleased with both your food & service in the future.

Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Wow! I couldn't believe it. After being told Rio had the best Mexican food I couldn't wait to go. I was so disappointed. I will agree their margarita's were really good and the atmosphere was fun but that was all they were good for. We've had Mexican food nearby that was 100% better.

Susan O, General Manager at Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

I am so sorry to hear about your experience with us at the Rio - that is the opposite of the experience you deserve & not the one we strive to deliver. Thank you for taking the time to let me know about your visit; without people letting us know how we're doing we could never improve. If you would like to come back and give us another chance, please ask to speak with a manager on duty and we would be happy to treat you to an appetizer or drink of your choice.
Susan

Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Amazing Strawberry Margaritas and Crab and Shrimp Enchiladas!!! Watch out for the margaritas - very strong but so fresh tasting!

RioGrandeMexican, Guest Relations Manager at Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Thank you for joining us at the Rio, great to hear you enjoyed the food and the margs!

Reviewed June 30, 2012

My teen daughter and I ate here twice while staying at a nearby hotel. We loved the freshness of all the dishes -- no frozen or canned ingredients here! My favorite was their chili rellenos. They were so authentic: fresh peppers, stuffed and fried perfectly. I've been searching for authentic rellenos for decades, ever since my memorable first-time experience in New Mexico. This is the first restaurant to fulfill that expectation. The guacamole was fresh, well-spiced, and generous. My daughter especially loved the tortilla soup and the nachos. Every dish we tried was delicious; no complaints. The margaritas kicked -- strong, not watered-down, with fresh juice mixer. The atmosphere was family/casual, and very busy due to the shopping area. Excellent prices, food, and service for this type of restaurant.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

I wish this was better. It's close by. The food is never great. It's always average. People seem to love the margaritas here, but I don't drink. Maybe they are enjoying them so much they don't notice the simply average food.