“A Real Gem”
Review of The Kennebec

The Kennebec
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Hesperus
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Champaign, Illinois
“A Real Gem”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We ate twice at Kennebec -- two nights in a row, it was so good! This place doesn't look like much from the highway but the food is superb and the service excellent. Who would have thought that tiny Hesperus, CO would be the site of a really fine restaurant.

Visited June 2013

Pasadena, Texas
“Did not meet expectations”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My husband and I ate here on a recommendation from friends. I made reservations and we checked out the online menu the night before and decided what we would have the next day. We arrived and were seated quickly, our waitress took our drink order and returned shortly. The menu was a 'special' for Fathers Day and was very limited. My husband wanted an omelet ,not on the menu. He was told they couldn't do that because there was no ham. He had eggs Benedict which had ham instead of Canadian bacon! There was only about a tablespoon of Hollindaise sauce so he asked for more. It was $1.50 for a small sample! I had a crab omelet, which was not edible. The crab was so strong and had permeated the lower part of the omlet. I was I'll from it later in the day. We only got a refill on water when we managed to get the attention of the waitress. I didn't return the omlet , could not get her to attend and would have been charged for replacing it!

1 Thank Njdiag
kennebec, Manager at The Kennebec, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
We are very sorry to hear that your dining experience with us was not pleasurable. Unfortunately, we do not offer our regular brunch menu on holidays and usually post the holiday menu in its place and simply did not accomplish that for this Father's day. We certainly would have replaced both meals at no charge. It is very important for our customers to enjoy their dining experience with us. I have brought your comments to the chef's attention. We hope that you will give us another chance if you are back in the area. If you would like to e-mail us your mailing address, we would happily send you a gift certificate. Again, our sincerest apologies!
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Excellent food, lousy service!”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We were staying in Hesperus for a few days and definitely planned on eating at the Kennebec, based on its excellent reviews. When we arrived, we were warmly welcomed, in spite of the fact that we didn't have a reservation, and we were seated within a few minutes. That's where the good service ended for us. We didn't order any drinks except a lemonade. After that, the waiter seemed to have very little interest in us. We're not sure whether it was because we didn't order liquor. He brought us water and lemonade, and finally took our order. When he took the order, the glass of lemonade was already empty, and the water bottle was almost empty too. Our server was very attentive to all the other tables he was serving, but he kept walking by us without asking if we needed anything, etc., even though our food was very delayed in coming. Twenty-five minutes after ordering, we hadn't gotten our food and we were getting very thirsty, so I stopped him as he was walking by and asked for more water and a refill on the lemonade. I didn't feel that I should have had to do that. (We did notice that the other server was very attentive and gracious to her customers.) We finally got the water when the salads arrived.

Our evening improved greatly when the dinners arrived. My husband ordered the scallops and said that they were the best he has ever had. (He's from Washington state in the islands, so he has lots of experience with fresh fish.) My son ordered the sirloin, without the suggested sauce, and he couldn't have been more pleased. I ordered the salmon, and it was perfectly prepared. It was definitely worth the long wait!

As we were leaving the restaurant, we were warmly thanked by other staff.

My reason for rating this restaurant as a 3 is because of the poor service we received from this particular waiter. The food was wonderful, definitely a 5. But we won't go back, because we don't want to run into the possibility of having this guy serve us again.

1 Thank rlterp
kennebec, Manager at The Kennebec, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
We are very sorry to hear about your poor service and we appreciate your honesty. It is not our practice for our servers to place judgment upon guests whether they drink or not and certainly should have provided the same level of service to you as everyone else. We will be investigating this issue. We hope that you will give us another opportunity. Please feel free to e-mail us your contact information and we will send you a gift certificate. Again, our apologies!
Cortez, Colorado
“Wedding catering was delicious!”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Kennebec provided a wonderfully delicious meal for my brother's outdoor wedding at Blue Lake Ranch. The food looked beautiful and couldn't have been more tasty!

Visited May 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Simply Outstanding”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This was a great dining experience! We had the Scallops with white wine, rasin and fennel sauce. WoW! the scallops were braised so perfectly we cut the scallops with a spoon, not that we didn't have a knife we just didn't want to leave any of that awesome sauce behind! We also had Mediteranian Chicken with garlic mashed and grilled asparagus. Everything was made to perfection. The prices were exceptional considering the quality of food and service!