“Rude owners, terrible service”

Karl's FF Delicatessen
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed February 6, 2013

On two separate days I tried to make it to Karl's for some German food only to be met by a very rude female and a most disinterested male (assuming owners/managers -- the were the only ones there). On day one I arrived at 5 to 5 and saw the "open" sign still on only to be told they had stopped serving. On day two (today) I arrived at 4:35, "open" sign on, and was again told that they had stopped serving (now at 4:30). No "I'm sorry" or nothing. No customers in store...I can see the reason why. So, I can't rate the food but Lord -- I can sure rate how I was treated. I'm always looking for "safe" places to send my law enforcement and military colleagues -- this won't be one of them. If how I was treated was any indication, I give Karl's a bit fat ZERO.

2  Thank Michael W

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is an authentic German deli that isn't cheap but in my opinion is worth it. Fantastic corned beef sandwich with tasty sauerkraut and strudel makes a great lunch. I've also had the bratwurst platter w/ sauerkraut, potato salad and rye bread. I'm not a potato salad fan but this version is pretty darn good!

The owners/operators are obviously from the mother land and appreciate it when you drop some German language in your greeting or "Vielen Dank" at check out. They were eager to sample me the corned beef when I told them about a great butcher shop I had been to in the Saarland a few years back.

For those of you up-tight, "service better be perfect", "my kid can't eat [present list] this" types, stay away from here. They (and I) will appreciate it if you take your whining elsewhere! For those of you who don't mind trying something new, ask questions and engage them. They respond well to newbies.

2  Thank Dan N
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Being 75% German, I was thrilled to read the two positive reviews of Karl's Delicatessen on Tripadvisor, since this establishment is not far from my house.

I took my teenage son and daughter there for lunch today, and I was extremely disappointed. My daughter and son each decided upon one of the daily hot specials. My daughter got the Weiner Wurst plate (2 weiners, sauerkraut, and potato salad for $8.95), and my son got the Hungarian Goulash with Spaetzle ($9.95). My daughter's weiners were lukewarm at best. She deemed the sauerkraut acceptable, but not outstanding. The potato salad was disappointing though. She was expecting hot German potato salad, and was instead given two very small scoops of cold potato salad not unlike what you'd find at a 4th of July BBQ. She said it tasted fine, but was not German in the least.

My son enjoyed his Hungarian Goulash, but I was VERY disappointed at the portion size considering the $10.00 price tag. I was expecting a nice sized plate...instead, it was scooped into what could best be described as a medium sized salad bowl, with the goulash on one side, and a congealed mass of spaetzel on the other (it also came with a small slice of bread).

The biggest disappointment, however, was my Ham and Swiss sandwich. Be warned that the sandwiches do not come with any sides, and yet, they charged me $7.00 (yes, $7.00!!!!!!) for an ordinary sandwich on ordinary sized bread (just to give you a visual, picture 2 slices of bread that are the size of Wonder Bread). I was shocked...absolutely shocked. For $7.00 just for a ham/swiss sandwich (with lettuce and tomato), I was expecting a very large sandwich on some fancy type of Kaiser or sub roll. Nope. I could not believe my eyes when she handed me my sandwich. WHAT a disappointment. I did get a side of coleslaw (very average in taste, and not particularly cold) in a very small bowl for an additional $2.00. Again, WAY overpriced for the portion size.

Never, ever again.

Reviewed May 12, 2012

This is a great little place to get authentic German food. Their lunch is great. I go there to get German sausages & bread for my family like my mom would get in NYC when I was growing up.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

Karl's Deli is everything an ethnic eatery should be. Their German Potato Salad is incredible. The food is legit and the strudel takes you back to Germany. They recently built up their patio (ok, it's on a parking lot, but it's sunny and casual and the closest we're going to get to a biergarten in suburbia!) In addition to their hot food and sandwich counter, they have a deli with great meats, sausages, breads and cheeses. Oh, and they have a little food market with German specialties that you miss (chocolate, cookies, salad dressing mixes, canned goods, etc.)
By the way, Karl's is in Centennial - not Greenwood Village! We love our Karl's and GV does not get to claim it!
Look for their special events - they will be having a Maifest and sometimes they are showing football (soccer) on their new big screen.