“Amazing find in Grand Lake”

Rapids Lodge Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 34 Restaurants in Grand Lake
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Historic Rapids Lodge and Restaurant was established in 1915 and is situated along the banks of the scenic North Inlet River. Lunch (summer only) and Dinner (reservations recommended).Enjoy an extensive wine list and historic ambiance. Please visit our website for up to date menus.
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and I have been coming to Grand Lake for 18 years, and have always been on the lookout for somewhere really good to eat. We have tried many of the places in town over the years, but only now took the plunge and tried Rapids Lodge for dinner.

First off, the food is expensive. That is made clear by the menus that can be found online. However, what isn't so clear is that the food is worth the cost. It really was very tasty, and finely presented as well. We each selected a steak for dinner. Both steaks were prepared exactly as we wanted them, and were paired with potatoes and vegetables to round it out. The dinner included a wonderful salad and a sorbet between the courses as well.

While this is not a pretentious restaurant with a strict dress code, it is important to remember that it is a "high end" dining establishment. To me, that means that the pace is slow, the food is wonderful, and the atmosphere is special. It did take our server a little bit to bring us our water, however, in a break from tradition, she also brought out our salads and bread at the same time.

It did seem that she was a bit over-tasked, but she did care, and was a capable person. As a contrast, there are other places in Grand Lake that simply fill positions with whomever will show up for their shift. I personally would rather wait for the right person than be served by the wrong person.

We were fortunate enough to get to sit outside right by the river. The weather was absolutely perfect, and being Spring, the river was really high. Wonderful is the only word to describe it.

A few of the reviews speak of a particularly rude owner/manager. It would not surprise me at all if that were the case...I have come across a LOT of rude owners in this town. I finally ran out of places to eat, and had to circle back around again. Short of not coming, or cooking all my own meals, I am left with patronizing companies that are ran differently than I run mine.

It was quite a wonderful and enjoyable evening.

1  Thank Brian M

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Absolutely fantastic food! Service was great, and the scenery is absolutely breathtaking! Highly recommended if you happen to be in the Grand Lake area!

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We made a reservation for an anniversary dinner on a Sunday night in early June, we probably didn't need the reservation.

The ambiance is fantastic inside with views and sounds of water tumbling over huge rocks and exposed wood beams.

The menu is limited, but that adds somewhat to the charm. This is not a place to overwhelm you with 17 pages of menu. The wine list has more choices than the entrees but there seemed to be something to fit most tastes (beef, pasta, seafood).

We got the crab hush puppies appetizer and it was delicious. The bread with pesto/sun-dried tomato oil was also good.

I got the ribeye for $38 and it was a large cut of meat, but fairly bland. My husband got the trout and liked it. Meals came with a salad with a choice of one of three homemade vinaigrette dressings (if you only like Ranch dressing, you're going to be challenged) and with a chef's choice veggie (I don't know if we could've gotten something else, we didn't think to ask what it was but neither of us was crazy about the very crunchy green beans).

We didn't have room for dessert and our special occasion was never mentioned by the staff (even though we mentioned it when we made the reservation).

Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

We had the best rib-eye we've ever had (a special). And the trout was awesome. Our waitress turned out to be the new owner - her husband is the chef - she was charming friendly and jovial. The location is spectacular - very relaxing sipping Irish coffees and nibbling homemade berry pie while listening to the river roar. Would strongly recommend reserving a table by the window during the busy season.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We ate in the Rapids on a Sunday night in March. The food was very good - we both had grilled trout, and were pleased with it. The menu was not huge, but that can be a plus, since they're not trying to cook too great a range of food. The server/hostess was very friendly and helpful. Se never had more than 3 tables while we were there - I can see how she would be overwhelmed if it was a lot busier (re: other reviewers' comments). While we were eating, a moose wandered down the riverbank and came right past the windows, so we got a show with our dinner! This place warrants a return visit.

1  Thank BH51