“Poor Service”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Grand Lake
aberdeen
“Poor Service”
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Room nice, albeit beds quite poor and certainly not to the standard expected for price paid. Restaurant menu sounded far better than it was, service exceptionally poor. Not once were we asked if we enjoyed the meal, which is a shame because it would have been nice to tell them how bad it was. The place appears to be family run and there were certainly plenty of them hanging about the bar and kitchen doing nothing apart from eating and helping themselves. It appears as if they need the Gordon Ramsay touch. If properly run this place has potential, however the staff attitude is unprofessional. Due to the poor service I never left a tip which I have never done before and this caused all the staff to give us the cold shoulder.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Gatewayinn, General Manager at Gateway Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2010
I must apoligize for the poor service that you received on your stay with us. Our family was all together that week for my aunt's funeral and I am sure that we were not the hosts that we usually are. If you would like to discuss this further I would be happy to hear from you. You may call me or email me if you wish.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Good or Bad... reviews help us make a better experience for all of our guests.

Lisa Jenkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
USA
Reviewed March 11, 2010

We had a nice, quiet room with a view of the lake and mountains. The bartender checked us in and kept us laughing. Everyone was very friendly and housekeeping did a nice job with our room. Lots of mountain-type decor (including log bedframes) really made it feel like a fun vacation get-away. Easy access to Rocky Mountain National Park and downtain Grand Lake (either a short drive or a long walk.)

Make sure to check your refrigerator when you arrive. Ours smelled funny, but we plugged it in and put leftovers in anyway. Not sure if we plugged in the wrong thing or if it was broken but it never got cold. Wasn't a huge deal to us so we didn't tell the front desk, but something to check if this is impt to you.

The Gateway Inn recommends a massage therapist, Ouida Graham-Martens, who comes to the hotel by appointment and has a massage room downstairs. She is wonderful and makes any residual work stress go away!

We did hiking, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling (http://www.onthetrailrentals.com/winter/index.php - GREAT people, beautiful trails) just up from the Gateway. We thought about doing a horse drawn sleigh ride at windingriverresort.com but ran out of time (saw the impressive horses tho.)

We didn't eat at the Gateway, but lots of people did Seemed to be a poker night going on during part of our stay that looked like fun. We did eat at Max and T's Bar and Grill in town and LOVED it! Lots of homemade food - try the blackberry cobbler - we can't wait to get back and order it again...some day.

Wonderful winter getaway at the Gateway. We recommend it.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank barne123
Gatewayinn, General Manager at Gateway Inn, responded to this review, April 16, 2010
Thanks so much! Glad you enjoyed Grand Lake. I passed on the good comment to my bar staff, Ouida, and Max & T's. We all love to get good comments :) Thanks for letting me know about the refrigerator. I sent maint. to each room to check all of them. I hope you can get back up to Grand Lake. We have a great summer events schedule that you can find on the chamber web site in addition to all of the other fun things to do up here in the summer. Much different than the winter! Except....poker will still be going on every Thursday night.
Molt, MT
Reviewed March 2, 2010

I was part of a large group of snowmobilers that gathered from all over the country. Nine of us arrived early (6:30 a.m.), way before check in. We called the manager on duty who promptly came over, checked us in, and made sure we had what we needed to get some rest after driving all night. Even though they don't have an onsite restaurant, they do have a limited menu. They even allowed us to order food from town and eat it in there bar. I personally stay in motels over 30 nights a year, business and leisure, and have NEVER received the quality of service that I received at the Gateway Inn.

Lynn Bierschenk
Molt, MT
Team Steep and Deep

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Gatewayinn, General Manager at Gateway Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2010
THANKS! Wow...what a compliment. I know you all enjoyed laughing at me at 6:30a.m. in my P.J.s! My staff had a great time too! We love having guests like you. Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review for us. I sure hope to see you again soon.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed February 8, 2010

We go up to this hotel every year the end of January for an Ice Fishing Tournament. The staff are very helpful and friendly. The rooms are up to date and clean, with a bar area that's lot's of fun. The town of Grand Lake is a few minutes away with plenty of things to do day or night.

Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Richard L
I have to thank you and your family. It is nice to see such close families. I have a reservation for you this weekend again and hope you will have a great time. Travel safe. I'll see you when you get here.

Aurora, Co
Reviewed February 1, 2010

My brothers told me about how they stayed in the wonderful hotel last time they went Ice fishing and that I would really like it. I was amazed at the excellence of the Hotel's staff with service and cleanliness. The location was perfect, right at the entrance to main street and across the street from the lake, beautiful view of mountains. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, my room had a fireplace"Nice" The Lounge was very well set up: bar, card tables, shuffle board, fireplace even had a local band Sat. nite. Very comfortable atmosphere to relax and enjoy the evening. I totally enjoyed the outdoor Hot Tub. I have no complaints, There was 8 men in our party an every one of them was extremely satisfied with the total package the hotel had to offer. I will be back SOON ! Thank you Lisa for all you did for the "Law" party. I would suggest I-Home alarm clock in rooms, for I-Pods also microwave ovens in room. I'll be Back.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank OutdoorLaw
Gatewayinn, General Manager at Gateway Inn, responded to this review, February 3, 2010
I am so glad that you had such a nice visit with us. The Law family men were a pleasure to have here. Tell the guys that Tracy and I said "hello!" and we hope to see all of you next year. Thank you for taking the time to write a comment.

Take Care.
arvada,colorado
Reviewed January 10, 2010

Hospitality just cannpt be beat. Much better than the hotels at ski resorts. The furnishings are very beautiful, as well as comfortable. The addition of a short, but very, very well priced menu is a great addition to this cozy place. Our suggestions would be to set the clock in the room for arriving guests, turn on the refrigerator and provide a TV channel guide. In addition, you should set the menu out in a more prominent place in the room. Finally, be sure the floor around the tub/shower is clean of even small hair. To be honst we have stayed here for a long time over the years and prefer it to any other place we have tried. You cannot find a more accomodatind and hospitable staff any where else. This is a five star review for the five star people who manage and operate this most beautiful place in a setting that can't be beat. Jan and Bill Carpenter

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Gatewayinn, General Manager at Gateway Inn, responded to this review, January 23, 2010
Jan and Bill

Thanks for the review! I got TV guides in the rooms and strategically placed the menus. Housekeeping got 3 lashes with a wet noodle! LOL Esmeralda said she must not have been wearing her glasses to miss the hair. She vows to never work again without them. All joking aside...you guys are great! We love seeing you. Glad you like the new menu. Take care. Sure we will be seeing you real soon.

Colorado
Reviewed January 3, 2010

My family and I stayed with another family on New Years Eve. We watched the fireworks from their amazing balcony. The hotel put together a casino night which was tons of fun and our kids had a great time as well. Great place, good location and friendly staff. We will return.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
It is so nice to get such great comments on this site! Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to do this. I had a great time on New Years too! I don't think I have never taught so many people the game of Craps in my life! I hope they don't all run off to Vegas now. LOL Take care, have a great 2010, and I hope you will stay with us next year.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grand Lake
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,308 reviews
The Estes Park Resort
The Estes Park Resort
#15 of 29 in Estes Park

Been to Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!