Moose Lake Lodge, LLC
$145
$120
Gateway Inn(Grand Lake)(Great Value!)
$161
$119
$155
$89
Hotwire.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewslarge deckliving roompaddledockpeakshummingbirdsbalconieselktrailheadclosetinternetsheetsprivacylakehikecozy
Reviewed December 1, 2009

After a careful internet search of lakefront properties in Colorado, we decided on the Elk Cabin at Moose Lake Lodge. It is not on Grand Lake, but on Sun Valley Lake which is in the vicinity. Our criteria was a lakefront cabin. By the photographs on the website, it looked like it met our needs. Beware small, limited photographs. On arrival, to our dismay, the door to the cabin was wide open. As it is in a fairly remote area, although there are cabins nearby, we gingerly entered to make sure there were no inhabitants, friendly or otherwise, and fortunately, that was the case. But that was strike one. Strike two was the inside appearance. Cobwebs on the lighting. Carpeting throughout that must have been there over 10 years and looked like it had been peed upon by many visiting pets. Caveat: if you want a more decent accomodation--in general--AVOID "pet friendly" accomodations. Overall, the cabin was dusty and dingy. Strike three was a kitchen with teflon-worn out pots and pans and an open box of malodorous mothballs near the door. Mattresses were old and sagging. The comforters seemed like they had never been cleaned. We were not sure the sheets were laundered. We were exceptionally disappointed. On the plus side: a beautiful small lake with a lovely view. Moose walked by every morning. Fishing was good and plentiful, although it is a catch and release lake, we noticed people taking fish out. Across the way, and quite visible, was some older facility in quite shoddy shape. There was a mix of quality of cabins around the shore. We spent more time sightseeing away from the cabin just because we were not comfortable and did not feel clean inside it. We left one day early and gave up our last night because it was just not up to our standards. It wasn't worth another night of uncomfortable sleep. We vaccumed the cabin thoroughly before leaving and cleaned it, leaving it in better shape than when we arrived.
The cabin is in need of painting, and perhaps some new furniture, rather than filling it was thrift store items or junk that no one wanted at home anymore. There were other cabins in the group that were offered for rent which we did not examine. If you like to "rough it", this is the place for you. If you don't care about where you stay, and are only interested in the location, you can't deny how beautiful the lake was. However, if you want the whole picture, it's not this place.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
7  Thank Tenr2th
RhonddaW, Owner at Moose Lake Lodge, LLC, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2012

Boy!! - You really know how to hurt a house's feelings. Sure I was a little old and worn, after all, I am over 30. But ...... you would not believe the joy I have observed in the eyes of many, many renters, especially the children, over the past 25 years. Also, the rental rate for this lakefront property reflected the fact that I was not in a pristine condition.

As a little bit of explanation - my owner's father died unexpectedly just prior to this rental and the owners were in Australia during that time and they understand that some things may have slipped through the cracks during their absence. So we all apologize profusely to this renter.

However, the good news is that I now have had lots of improvements - new kitchen, hardwood floors, new beds, new furniture etc. etc. etc. The bad news is that my owners love the new improved me so much that they are enjoying me for just themselves for a while.

Hopefully I will be available soon for people to come and spend a great family vacation.

Thanks,

The Elk House at Moose Lake Lodge.