“Very Basic”

Americas Best Value Inn Bighorn Lodge
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Grand Lake
Reviewed July 12, 2011

This is a basic motel as previous reviewers have already stated. Although we are non smokers, no smoking appeared to be a big deal. Having said this, we later saw the lady who checked us in sitting out on a side balcony from reception smoking a cigarette. Could be interpreted as double standards. We didn't consider coffee and doughnuts to be an inclusive continental breakfast - rather misleading. We did not participate and ate down the street. There was also no coffee maker in our room. You could only get this from reception before 9.00 pm in the evening, The room itself was basic. There was a hot pool but the receptionist did not choose to mention this to us and we were unsure of access.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brixham23

Reviewed October 19, 2010

and we paid over $100 for the night in off season. I WILL say that I do not think I've stayed at a cleaner place :) Very simple, no coffee maker in the room. Reminded me of a Super 8. Good location to walk to town. No complaints, but really would like to see some personality injected into the rooms and a coffee maker.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wings1980
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Bare bones accomodations. Small rooms with no frills. Minimal TV channels.
Unfortunately, unless you book very far in advance at one of the few lakefront lodges this is about your only choice. It's not that bad, just no frills. I would have been MUCH happier with a balcony overlooking the lake.
Overall, Grand Lake is not my kind of place. The whole town is basically one main street where everything is. There is nothing to do in town but bar hop or shop for souvenirs. There is a nice waterfall you can hike to at the edge of town. I was very surprised that there wasn't a charter boat service that gave scheduled cruises of the lake. That would have been a nice way to spend the evening.
Beware the office is only open 8AM to 9PM. No coffeepot in room and no coffee or donuts served until 8AM. Not very nice as most travelers like to be up and on the road before 8AM. They do have a key drop box so you can leave early.
You also have to get ice inside the office.
There is a small hot tub inside a screened porch. Adequate after a day of hiking, but not nearly as nice as it would be if you could be enjoying a lake view under the stars.
Overall, we felt a little uneasy as we were told that bears were frequently spotted in the parking lot, one just an hour before we arrived actually.
We ate dinner at the restaurant across the street. Soup and salad bar are extra, not included with the meals. Was impressed that they had real chicken legs on the kids menu. Overall, felt everything we ate was flavored with too much pepper.
The thing I disliked the most was that this hotel has a 7 day cancellation policy. We were afraid to not have a reservation during the busy summer season, but we would have liked to have altered our plans a little and maybe have stayed in Estes Park, but we were unable to cancel this room.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2010

It is a motel, not a lodge. It is convenient to downtown and the Lake. Average motel room. Breakfast consists of donuts and coffee, if it is made. Coffee pot was empty both times I went for it. Owners are not very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank by_ourselves
Reviewed August 17, 2010

I made a reservation for my 87 year old mother to stay at this motel while the rest of us camped
nearby. When I made the reservation I was told up front about the 48 cancellation polilcy. I didn't
think much about it because of course we planned to make the trip. For various reasons we were unable
to leave Denver for our little get-away.
I called to cancel her reservation a little before 2 pm the day before she was to arrive. Because I didn't call 48 hours ahead I was charged one night's stay, approximately$100!!. Grand Lake in the summer is bustling and the chances are good that the room was rented.

I was told about the policy, so theoretically I can't complain. However, I will never do business with any
America's Best Value Inn in the future because spending $100 for nothing is America's WORST value.
I'm thinking of other places I've stayed and made the reservations over the phone, as I did at this place.
There are very few motels that will penalize you for cancelling, especially if you do it 24 hours ahead.
So, be warned!

Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 15, 2010

This is a bare bones place to stay.....clean but no frills. They could use some flat surfaces to put stuff, especially in the bathroom. Don't stay here if you want to watch sports. Their TVs have not been upgraded with converter boxes so you can't get ESPN, Rocky Mtn FSN, etc.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2010

A 5 minutes walk from the town was the best thing about this hotel. It's what you would expect, very basic, but clean. Seemed a bit expensive at $140 a night, but it was the only place left in town!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Western Riviera Lakeside Lodging & Events
Spirit Lake Lodge
Spirit Lake Lodge
#6 of 20 in Grand Lake

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Bighorn Lodge? Share your experiences!