“Could have been better, but not awful.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Grand Vista Hotel

Grand Vista Hotel
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Grand Junction
Troy, Ohio
“Could have been better, but not awful.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

This hotel would've received a "very good" rating from me if I had been able to make use of all it's facilities and features, but my actual experience only merits "average". I stayed here for two days when I was visiting eastern Utah/western Colorado and was going to be flying home on a 6am flight out of the Grand Junction airport. I chose this hotel because of its price, its free airport shuttle, the restaurant, and the pool/hot tub. The price couldn't be beat (about $52 through Orbitz) and the custodian who operated the shuttle and drove me to the airport was incredibly friendly and helpful (he had my luggage loaded up and the van doors open for me before I had even finished checking out). The beds were very comfortable and the room had a great view of the mountains. However, my visit fell flat in the other areas. Upon check-in the front desk attendant seemed a little annoyed and as though she didn't want to be bothered. The pool and hot tub were closed for cleaning for a five-day period according to the sign on the door so I was unable to use it. There were vending machines on each floor, but unfortunately the ice machine on my floor was "out of order" and the soda machine only had Sprite in stock. The only toiletries in the bathroom was a round bar of soap and a little bottle of shampoo. I'm the type of person who travels with my own toiletries, but if I had forgotten to pack them then I would've been very disappointed (and had very tangled hair and dry skin). I didn't have a mode of personal transportation while staying there the second day (the person I was in the area visiting had to return to work then) so I had chosen this hotel with the intention of making use of the restaurant. I slept in late (missing breakfast) and went down to the lobby to see a "LUNCH Soup/Sandwich" menu posted by the front doors of the restaurant. So imagine my surprise when I looked into the restaurant and saw all the lights off. I asked the front desk attendant about it and she said that the restaurant closed at 10am from breakfast and reopens at 5pm for dinner. I inquired about why there is a lunch menu if the restaurant is not even open then, and she just shrugged. I was highly disappointed (as well as hungry), but luckily there was a little shopping plaza across the street that had a couple of Italian pizza/pasta restaurants. Overall, it was an "ok" stay and I'm sure I would've enjoyed it more if everything had been functioning properly and the restaurant had been opened as advertised. I'd recommend this hotel only if you're just passing through the area and need a soft bed and hot shower for one night or are looking to catch a flight early in the morning.

Room Tip: If allergic to dogs, request a room NOT on first floor. Guests are permitted to have their canine fr...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank BioAnthroNerd11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Near airport and central location. Older hotel and a bit dated yet has charm. Large rooms with lovely views for the area. Excellent staff. Ask for renovated room with new TV. Parking good and near restaurants. Karaoke (!) and live music in lounge with good happy hour specials. Breakfast buffet a bit week but not expensive. Restaurant charming but could use menu/quality improvement. Wait staff very good. Super affordable rates. Very safe neighborhood. Easy off freeway. Would stay here again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank westslope
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

Not a 3 star
Smelled like 1984
The carpet was old and grungy,
No free breakfast,parking lot was irregular shaped with plenty of signs knowing they where not responsible for theft and damage
The bathroom was clean with a power flush toilet
Staff was ok

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank norman426

Travelers are raving about these Grand Junction hotels

Santa Cruz, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

My husband booked two rooms for our family - a king for the two of us and a room with two queens for our kids. The king was a "suite" which sounded promising.

We were interested in the pool until we saw that it was enclosed by windows on three sides - a bit of a fishbowl experience.

Upon leaving the elevator on the second floor, we were serenaded by two rooms with loudly crying children. The doors to the rooms were closed but the sound was nicely amplified by the hallway.

As for our "suite - it was on the end of of the hall so no neighbors on one side. The door didn't quite close unless it was slammed hard. This was a little disconcerting as it took us a few times of entering and leaving before we realized that the door wasn't closing or locking. The room was quite large which was nice but the TV was a 23" situated so far across the room from the bed that it seemed even smaller. The telephone didn't work so we couldn't call our kids in their room. After unplugging and plugging it again, we successfully obtained a dial tone and called. The hand set didn't work so our kids picked up the ringing phone and couldn't hear us on the other end. Kind of annoying. Our bathroom was interesting. The sink and tub surround looked as though they'd been upgraded but the tub itself was "seasoned". It had the equipment for a jacuzzi tub but nothing would make it work. I took a shower in the morning and it didn't drain very well so it was a bit like taking a bath/shower. Unfortunately, the shower curtain was a bit short so I imagine that the people below us might have gotten wet from the lake that formed next to the tub. And finally, the toilet didn't flush properly. My husband and I didn't discover this for a while - guess we each thought the other one was saving water - ha!

On the plus side - the mattress was comfortable enough, we didn't need a "night light" as the space around the door allowed the light from the hallway to adequately light the room, the heater worked, the included breakfast was fine, the staff seemed nice and the price was reasonable.

Room Tip: Go for a corner room! Our "King Suite" was the same price as room our kids had with two q...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Morningsatthebeach
Alameda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed here one night, as we arrived late in the evening and too late to pick up a car rental. When we called for a shuttle to the hotel, it arrived within minutes. The check in process was quick and easy. We found the room to be very clean and nicely furnished. The size of the room was average. Downstairs they have a lounge with entertainment, so it's a good place to unwind after a long flight; they also have a nice happy hour and affordable meals. From the room, you have a nice view of the mountains and can watch the airplanes take off. Within walking distance there are inexpensive places to eat, so you don't feel that you are stuck somewhere "without wheels". There is a nice indoor pool. I would recommend this hotel and we found it to be an excellent value for the price.

Room Tip: Stay on the 6th floor for a view of the mountains in one of rooms with an odd number.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlamedaYankeegal
colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

@#$%& dogs were in the lobby, crapped on lawn and in elevator, these people have no respect for others, although the hotel contains the rooms of dog owners these folks think the hotel is their doggy playground,I don't enjoy the back side/butt of a dog on furniture I occupy, dog hair on furniture, and dogs in the elevators, yes, unless you are in denial or live in the doggy bubble you don't enjoy the filth of a dog, uhh, the staff here is great, my room was clean and tv was good, free internet, so except for the dogs I would rate higher, dog owners, leave the dog at home, repeat repeat, you are annoying and unsanitary

Room Tip: don't walk on the outside grass without looking at what you might step in
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple