“Simple but nice”

Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Grand Junction
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
“Simple but nice”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

This hotel is offered for rates in the $40 price range through priceline and travelocity top secret hotels. The hotel is small and simple. You can't miss it right off of I-70 in Grand Junction behind the Shell gas station just east/north off of the Horizon Drive exit, exit 31. The staff was very friendly, willing to answer questions, and made me feel at home.
My room was simple but had everything you would need for the night. A comfy bed and pillows, clean bathroom, and breakfast included in the morning. The breakfast was nothing fancy but the usual hotel complimentary. Econo Lodge Grand Junction also included free WiFi.
For the price it is worth a stop.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank ScienceGuy13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Clearwater, FL
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Only paid $30 for this little gem thanks to Priceline and it was well worth it. My wife and I stayed here because we wanted to check out Colorado Nat'l Monument which is only about 20-25 minutes away. It's also only about 10 minutes from downtown, the mall, and other stores/restaurants. It has some fast food places within walking distance and even a Village Inn next door.

Check in and out were both awesome. We parked outside just as a song was starting on the radio. The front desk agent was able to run through and explain everything, give us our keys, and give us the best way to get to our room all before the same song was over when we got back to our car. Pretty impressive!

The hotel is older, smaller (30 rooms) and somewhat dated but it had everything we needed (except a hot tub-no room). We needed to print off a document and went down to the front desk hoping they could do it from their computers but they didn't have to because it even has a guest user computer with printer. Even the continental breakfast was complete and satisfying. Nothing spectacular but simple breads, cereals, juices, coffee, yogurts, and much more all in clean little room with a TV right next to the lobby. When we returned from dinner that night, they had two free warm cookies waiting for us in the lobby which was just perfect.

Room was a decent size with great, clean white linens, two double beds, sink area outside the bath, and recently renovated bathroom that was spacious. The view of the cliffs from our window was pretty decent. Good sized TV with great channel selection and decent wifi. It was free but a bit spotty at times.

Overall, I would say this hotel has what you need whether you are exploring the area for a couple of days or just passing through. It's not going to amaze you by appearance but it does all the little things right.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mjf365
Louisville, Nebraska
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We arrived later than normal because of the snow and the people were very nice.I called and told the desk the situation and they said no problm. They would hold our room for us. We had stayed at several places but this by far was the nicest accomodations. The room was very clean and modern. The bathroom was great. Some of the bathrooms where we stayed were horrible. Flooring coming up and tub caulk looked nasty. This bathroom you actually felt comfortabIe going into. Breakfast the next day was okay. Not a lot of options to pick from. That would be the only thing I change if it was my hotel. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I highlly recommend this hotel. Right off the interstate and lots of restaurants near by. Our room...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Large room, clean, comfortable bed, great breakfast, wi-fi was fast, friendly staff, and highway convenient and the price was more than reasonable. Better than most Quality Inns we've stayed in.

We were returning from a ski trip and had originally planned to stop in Green River. This will be our new overnight stop on our way to/from skiing in Colorado.

Room Tip: Don't follow the gps directions, this Econo lodge is right next to Interstate 70.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I was pleasently surprised with the room rate, I was very tired from a long day on the road. The staff assisted me with all my needs over and above the call of duty! Which also included fresh baked cookies upon my return from dinner. Normally I do not ask to preview the room however when the attendent quoted me the price I was a little skeptical and I must say I was rather amazed at the quality and cleanliness of the room, and the friendliness of the staff. This was the first time traveling to Grand Junction, I assure you that the Econo Lodge on horizon would be my preferred place to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Cortez, Colorado
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Free pets of any size... good freeway side location, comfortable beds, and free breakfast... but it IS in Grand Junction... and Grand Junction and Flagstaff are two towns that are clueless when it comes to the lodging industry.

Grand Junction has some of the worst hotels in the nation, they usually have one or more of the following issues: are dirty, have uncomfortable beds, non working facilities, employees who like to have their friends in to work for long visits, are of poor design, and are usually WAY overpriced.

The Econolodge is one of the better hotels in town, especially for the price, however, it does not warrant more than an "AVERAGE" rating.

The pluses, are the room rate, free pets of any size, good freeway side location, and comfortable beds.

The lows... The desk staff had boyfriend in visiting all day.

The hotel used to be part of what is now the Clarion Inn next door, once upon a time it was the annex to the Holiday Inn (now Clarion).

The owner is an elderly gentleman who built the Holiday Inn back in the early Seventies... back then it was the ONLY hotel off the freeway. The owner has the attitude that he is still the only game in town, and that you should be thankful to have a room and a bed instead of sleeping on your horse in the desert.

He owns both the Clarion, and Econo Lodge... and there is a pool in the Clarion... since both properties are owned by the same person can guests of the Econo Lodge use the pool at the Clarion? NO!
(Unlike the Imperial Palace and Caesars Palace in Vegas where guests of the IP can swim at Caesars by showing their room key... both owned by the same company)

One thing that guests love is making a very reasonable (and no cost) request... and being told NO!

So... as long as you don't know the whole story no harm done... right? Now you know the whole story... if you chose to stay here... make a fuss about not being able to use the pool at their sister property.... maybe the policy will change.

Room Tip: Stay at the Montrose Hampton Inn.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed here Christmas eve and we pleased with our stay. They didn't charge extra for our dogs! A true rarity for places now adays. The folks were nice, the room was clean, and no weird smells. The location is right off 70 and behind a gas station but I honestly didn't care because I didn't hear noise. I won't plan my family vacation here, but for a night or two place, I was truly pleased.

If you travel with your canine, please tell the owners how much you appreciate there policy.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple