“breakfast, and, uh ... more breakfast”
Review of The Egg & I

The Egg & I
Ranked #28 of 277 Restaurants in Grand Junction
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The Egg & I Grand Junction, Coloroado breakfast restaurant offers gourmet coffee, 100% pure-squeezed orange juice and a variety of menu choices you will enjoy time and time again.
Reviewed January 5, 2012

This establishment is located in a part of town (1st & patterson) which not long ago had no eating businesses at all -- so it's a welcome addition. We've only been twice and find The Egg & to be "average" -- which is, of course, a better experience than the "terrible" or "below average" which can easily happen elsewhere. We may give them another try (if in the neighborhood) to see if they've elevated closer to the sublime.

1  Thank tiburondelnorte
There are newer reviews for The Egg & I

Reviewed December 25, 2011

Very average breakfast place. Unless they step it up, it will soon go away.

1  Thank Colorado_Rick
Reviewed October 7, 2011

My family of 8 had breakfast there and we were seated quickly. The place has a nice atmosphere and is very clean. The menu is filled with options, it's huge! Lots of healthy choices and also a good bit of the cheese and chicken fried side of life as well, haha. Everyone seemed to enjoy what they had, and I had some kind of southwest skillet that was really good. Hearty meal for the activities for the day!

Reviewed May 30, 2011

Visited for the first time with family very early on a weekday morning. It was nearly empty when we got there, but filling up fast by the time we left.

One of the reviewers mentioned the music being too loud.......I noticed that too, but it was very early. I think once the place filled up and got noisy, that wasn't an issue. I do agree though, it's too loud when it's quiet in there.

Something I noticed right out of the chute was that many of the waitresses seemed to be low end, trailer park trash types. Several looked like they had been up all night partying and were milling about like zombies. One clearly arrived late while we were there, and she was running through the dining area into the kitchen, clearly in a hurry. Tacky. The waitress we got looked like someone you would see in a mugshot in the paper who got arrested in a meth ring or something. She just didn't look like she belonged in the service indusry. Strangely enough, this wound up haunting me later on, lol.

Kids had the chocolate chipper kids breakfasts, wife had the Santa Fe Juevos, and I ordered a burrito but got an ometlette instead.

I wasn't too bent out of shape about them screwing up my order, as those things happen occasionally, but what really bothered me, and nearly caused me to walk out of the restaurant, was the waitress was rude with me about the order screwup. When I told her I didn't order an omelette, she told me "Yes you did.", in a pretty stern manner, and literally walked off before I could finish talking to her. It was clear she was mad about the screwup, and was not in the mood to be nice about it or even discuss it. As soon as my order was replaced, she dropped off the bill and was done. She must have been having a bad day.

So much for "the customer is always right". Even if I truly was mistaken (I wasn't), she should have apologized like a good wait person should, fix the issue, and the problem would go away. But instead, she bowed up to me and told me I was wrong, which caused me to stew over it, and it pretty much ruined my meal. I don't like to be chastised by someone who is serving me. She didn't need to get on her knees, but some nice customer service would have resulted in a good tip. Needless to say, that didn't happen.

Back to the food. The kids meals were good. The only complaint I have is I think they should have tossed in some toast or a bit more food. One pancake and a strip of bacon for nearly 5 bucks was a bit thin on substance. One more item, whether it be a small cup of fruit, a piece of toast, or whatever, would have made their meal a bit more complete.

My wife enjoyed the Santa Fe Juevos, although she said the green sauce was a but thin and runny to the point where the food was swamped in a thin liquid. My burrito was decent. Like the kids meals, I would have liked to see one more side on both our meals, even something a simple as a piece of toast, to round it out a bit more. At $8.50 each, there should have been a tad bit more food. The overall bill was about 28 bucks.

Overall, I would say the visit was average at best, due to the poor service. With decent service, it would have been a solid average.

Give it a shot, and hopefully you will have better service. Not sure if I will return though. There's lots of other options for a good breakfast in town.

1  Thank BigMountainTraveler
Reviewed March 5, 2011

We love the Egg & I. It is one of the best places to eat here in GJ. I can't imagine eating anywhere else. The service is superb. The quality of food is delicious. The location and atmosphere is GREAT!!! They have a variety of food that have eggs, but also do items that are egg-free (My husband doesn't like eggs) such as granola pancakes, sandwiches (I love the chicken salad). My favorite egg dish: Chile rellenos. All in all, the average price is $7 for a good meal.The only downfall is there is no dessert, otherwise Go and ENJOY!!!

1  Thank MINXY810