“Excellent”

Sombrero Stables at Snow Mountain Ranch
Ranked #2 of 11 things to do in Granby
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore the Rockies the Old-Fashioned way! Open Year-Round, Sombrero Stables on the Snow Mountain Ranch-YMCA property offers 1-4 hour horseback rides, wagons rides, and sleigh rides, seasonally permitting. Also available are our wedding carriage (may be rented for anniversaries or other special occasions as well...), a one-horse-open sleigh, and dining facilities for special occasions. What if everyone rode a horse or wagon to your... Rehearsal Dinner? Birthday celebration? Wedding Anniversary? Let us know your ideas! Family and kid friendly, pony rides available for the young buckaroos.
Denver
4 attraction reviews
“Excellent”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

If you are looking for to be pampered in a enclosed carriage and dine on fine china & crystal this isn't the trip for you. Rather it is a exquisite and rustic experience. The staff is very personable and genuinely concerned that you fully enjoy your experience. I will definitely be visiting them again!

Visited January 2014
SombreroStablesSMR, Manager at Sombrero Stables at Snow Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear (Big?) Lebowski,

Thank you! We all love your straight-talking review. "Exquisite and Rustic Experience" might just be our slogan for 2014....

Thank you for highlighting our staff and the pride they take in their work. We will continue to strive to pamper you and future guests with good old fashioned Colorado Hospitality. Hope to see you again this summer!

Best
Sarah & The Sombrero Stables Crew

Poland, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Scenic Sleigh Ride and Delicious Dinner!”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We had a great time on our recent sleigh ride and dinner. The setting is very rustic, you're taking an outdoor sleigh ride and eating in a ranch dining hall, so don't sign up expecting a fancy affair. Check-in was a little hectic but we used the down time to walk around and look at the other horses, plus meet the horses who were going to carry us around all night. Amy was a wonderful guide and driver for the sleigh ride. We got a lot of information about the area and the ranch, including an explanation about how the recent beetle infestation had devastated the tree population on the ranch and especially along our sleigh trail. We had cold weather and snow, but the blankets they provided kept us warm on the trek around the ranch. Bob did an excellent job on dinner. The steak was well marinated, cooked perfectly, and better than the ones we got in steakhouses near the resorts. The trout was also very tasty according to one member of the group. The baked potato and fixings were good and the beans were a nice nod to Cowboy culture. The only thing lacking was the salad, it was just bagged, chopped lettuce with some croutons and tomatoes thrown on top. The apple cobbler and ice cream desert was very tasty. Bob even went out of his way to accommodate a gluten and dairy allergy in our group. Amy and Bob were both great hosts during and after dinner. Overall we enjoyed the entire experience and would recommend it to others.

Visited February 2014
Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a wonderful review, and for highlighting Bob and Amy and the excellent job they do. We do try to accommodate gluten and lactose intolerance and I'm glad we were able to help you on that count!

Thank you also for the comment on the salads. As Cowboys, steaks are our forte, and salads can make us scratch our heads a little. We've been experimenting with a few different types over the past year, and it looks like a leafy spring mix might be appreciated more overall.

To paraphrase the airlines' saying, we know you have a choice when you sleigh, and we thank you for sleighing with us! We're truly glad you enjoyed your experience.

Enjoy the rest of your winter,
Sarah, Bob, Amy & The Sombrero Stables Crew
Houston, TX
3 attraction reviews
“Sleigh Ride & Dinner”
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

We booked a sleigh ride and dinner. Friendly staff that care about the animals in their care and the visiting customers. Sleigh ride approximately 25 minutes but good length when 15 degrees. Dinner was setup upon return with salads, bread with dipping sauce, and hot chocolate/apple cider/or cowboy coffee, followed by main course of either Colorado sirloin, trout, or roast chicken breast. Dessert apple cobbler with ice cream. Cozy and country ranch style atmosphere. All food was excellent as was the experience.

Visited February 2014
SombreroStablesSMR, Manager at Sombrero Stables at Snow Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Karen,

Thank you so much for sleighing with us and taking the time to write here. Sounds like you had one of our colder rides, but I'm so glad you enjoyed it! We hope to see you again some day...

Best
Sarah & The Sombrero Stables Crew
Escondido, California
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Beautiful Sleigh Ride w/ Beautiful Horses”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

My husband, in-laws and I went on a sleigh ride during our November visit to Granby. I was excited that we had beautiful Clydesdale horses pulling our sleigh. The ride was a little shorter than I was expecting and I was hoping to go more through the woods, but the scenery could not be beat! Beautiful snow covered mountains in the distance made for a lovely backdrop! 2/3 of the way through the ride, we stopped to stretch, take photos with the horses, drink hot chocolate and toast marshmallows. It was a nice touch, but I honestly could've done without the hot chocolate, as I prefer mine made with milk, as opposed to the warm water we had (just my preference). You can tell the horses at Sombrero Stables are very well taken care of. Overall, it was a lovely ride and I would recommend it to others looking for winter activities in the Granby/Winter Park area.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank TravelBuggy0308
SombreroStablesSMR, Manager at Sombrero Stables at Snow Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Hi T. wonderful to hear from you!

Thank you for all the photos here and on facebook; you have some beautiful shots of our Clydesdales, Junior and Scotty. We really appreciate you noting the condition of our horses, their mental and physical health is something we take a lot of pride in. I hope you and Sam (and in-laws?) come back to join us sometime in the summer so we can take you traipsing through the mountains. Until then, safe travels, looking forward to your reviews of Iceland!

Best,
Sarah and The Sombrero Stables Crew
Lafayette, Louisiana
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Not worth it.....”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We scheduled the sleigh ride and dinner. When we got to the ranch there were people standing around and it was a bit confusing on where to go. Once we figured out where, we paid for our excursion but weren't really given any other direction. The sleighs finally pulled around and the 'volunteer workers' grabbed up the good seats and we were left with the seat facing the rear and couldn't really see anything. To top it off, our meal consisted of Luke warm water to make tea or cocoa, a very burnt steak or cold chicken, baked potato and some sort of indescribable beans. No wonder the 'dining hall' (Ha!) was so dimly lit.

I wouldn't recommend this ride to anyone and I wish we had more time to check out other companies,since we had family that thoroughly enjoyed their rides elsewhere.

Visited January 2014
SombreroStablesSMR, Manager at Sombrero Stables at Snow Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Ms. Boulanger,

I am very sorry that your recent visit did not meet expectations. We strive to provide a Winter Wonderland Memory that will be memorable for all the right reasons, and clearly this was not so in your case. As I hope can be seen from our other reviews, your experience is not the norm here at Sombrero, and is certainly not one that I wish to have repeated with future customers. I would like to address the concerns that you brought to the table.

Our volunteer program, which brings local adults and kids to the stables to trade work for horseback rides and lessons in horsemanship, is a unique aspect of our location that we are proud to have. While our volunteers do join some rides -normally horseback- during the day, we do not generally have more than two at a time, and they very rarely join the dinner ride. Sometimes the families of volunteers do join us, but as paying customers. "The 'volunteer workers' grabbed up the good seats" is a concern for me as to how the volunteers and their families were introduced to you; it should have been as an integral and innovative part of our program, not as guests of an elevated status, with first choice on seats. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Our dinner meals have for years been a matter of pride at the stables, as even kids enjoy what we set before them. Our bean recipe alone has been requested and written down for countless families to bring home. I and the rest of the crew eat that same dinner that is served to the guests every night, and a cook who can't cook doesn't last long around here. Again, I am concerned that you did not have the experience we strive to provide.

Our Dining Hall is a cozy establishment. We can host up to about 40 at a time, and during the meal we light the room with gaily strung Christmas lights and bright candles on every table. The walls are clean and white, and decorated with horse tack, photos taken by past employees, and bits of western history. Without glaring overhead lamps, we try to continue the ambiance of of a winter western wonderland that you experience on the sleigh. We do not endeavor to hide our food, but hope you enjoy it in full.

I realize that you are in Louisiana, but should you ever find yourself back in the area, I would like to show you what Colorado Mountain hospitality and home cooking can and should be, free of cost. I am sorry that it did not live up to the expectations we set for ourselves, but greatly appreciate your feedback. I hope we can ensure that no future guests share you experience.

Thank you for joining us.

Best,