“Beautiful Sleigh Ride w/ Beautiful Horses”

Sombrero Stables at Snow Mountain Ranch
Ranked #2 of 12 things to do in Granby
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore the Rockies the Old-Fashioned way! Open Year-Round, Sombrero Stables on the Snow Mountain Ranch-YMCA property offers 1-4 hour horseback rides, wagons rides, and sleigh rides, seasonally permitting. Also available are our wedding carriage (may be rented for anniversaries or other special occasions as well...), a one-horse-open sleigh, and dining facilities for special occasions. What if everyone rode a horse or wagon to your... Rehearsal Dinner? Birthday celebration? Wedding Anniversary? Let us know your ideas! Family and kid friendly, pony rides available for the young buckaroos.
Escondido, California
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Beautiful Sleigh Ride w/ Beautiful Horses”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

My husband, in-laws and I went on a sleigh ride during our November visit to Granby. I was excited that we had beautiful Clydesdale horses pulling our sleigh. The ride was a little shorter than I was expecting and I was hoping to go more through the woods, but the scenery could not be beat! Beautiful snow covered mountains in the distance made for a lovely backdrop! 2/3 of the way through the ride, we stopped to stretch, take photos with the horses, drink hot chocolate and toast marshmallows. It was a nice touch, but I honestly could've done without the hot chocolate, as I prefer mine made with milk, as opposed to the warm water we had (just my preference). You can tell the horses at Sombrero Stables are very well taken care of. Overall, it was a lovely ride and I would recommend it to others looking for winter activities in the Granby/Winter Park area.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank TravelBuggy0308
SombreroStablesSMR, Manager at Sombrero Stables at Snow Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Hi T. wonderful to hear from you!

Thank you for all the photos here and on facebook; you have some beautiful shots of our Clydesdales, Junior and Scotty. We really appreciate you noting the condition of our horses, their mental and physical health is something we take a lot of pride in. I hope you and Sam (and in-laws?) come back to join us sometime in the summer so we can take you traipsing through the mountains. Until then, safe travels, looking forward to your reviews of Iceland!

Best,
Sarah and The Sombrero Stables Crew

Lafayette, Louisiana
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Not worth it.....”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We scheduled the sleigh ride and dinner. When we got to the ranch there were people standing around and it was a bit confusing on where to go. Once we figured out where, we paid for our excursion but weren't really given any other direction. The sleighs finally pulled around and the 'volunteer workers' grabbed up the good seats and we were left with the seat facing the rear and couldn't really see anything. To top it off, our meal consisted of Luke warm water to make tea or cocoa, a very burnt steak or cold chicken, baked potato and some sort of indescribable beans. No wonder the 'dining hall' (Ha!) was so dimly lit.

I wouldn't recommend this ride to anyone and I wish we had more time to check out other companies,since we had family that thoroughly enjoyed their rides elsewhere.

Visited January 2014
SombreroStablesSMR, Manager at Sombrero Stables at Snow Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Ms. Boulanger,

I am very sorry that your recent visit did not meet expectations. We strive to provide a Winter Wonderland Memory that will be memorable for all the right reasons, and clearly this was not so in your case. As I hope can be seen from our other reviews, your experience is not the norm here at Sombrero, and is certainly not one that I wish to have repeated with future customers. I would like to address the concerns that you brought to the table.

Our volunteer program, which brings local adults and kids to the stables to trade work for horseback rides and lessons in horsemanship, is a unique aspect of our location that we are proud to have. While our volunteers do join some rides -normally horseback- during the day, we do not generally have more than two at a time, and they very rarely join the dinner ride. Sometimes the families of volunteers do join us, but as paying customers. "The 'volunteer workers' grabbed up the good seats" is a concern for me as to how the volunteers and their families were introduced to you; it should have been as an integral and innovative part of our program, not as guests of an elevated status, with first choice on seats. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Our dinner meals have for years been a matter of pride at the stables, as even kids enjoy what we set before them. Our bean recipe alone has been requested and written down for countless families to bring home. I and the rest of the crew eat that same dinner that is served to the guests every night, and a cook who can't cook doesn't last long around here. Again, I am concerned that you did not have the experience we strive to provide.

Our Dining Hall is a cozy establishment. We can host up to about 40 at a time, and during the meal we light the room with gaily strung Christmas lights and bright candles on every table. The walls are clean and white, and decorated with horse tack, photos taken by past employees, and bits of western history. Without glaring overhead lamps, we try to continue the ambiance of of a winter western wonderland that you experience on the sleigh. We do not endeavor to hide our food, but hope you enjoy it in full.

I realize that you are in Louisiana, but should you ever find yourself back in the area, I would like to show you what Colorado Mountain hospitality and home cooking can and should be, free of cost. I am sorry that it did not live up to the expectations we set for ourselves, but greatly appreciate your feedback. I hope we can ensure that no future guests share you experience.

Thank you for joining us.

Best,
Sarah
Manager
Sombrero Stables at Snow Mountain Ranch
Perth, Australia
“Horse riding in the snow”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

What a wonderful ride we had in over a metre of snow! The horses were great and Haylee and Marisa our guides were knowledgable and friendly. An hour that will be in our memories forever.
Thank you! Highly recommended if you don't mind your fingers and toes getting cold!

Visited January 2014
SombreroStablesSMR, Manager at Sombrero Stables at Snow Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Michelle, I'm not sure who had more fun on your fresh powder ride, you or the gals taking you out! Thanks for joining us for our winter horseback ride adventure; we try to keep it interesting. Always fun to have our Australian guests join us.

Best
Sarah, Hayley, Marissa, and the Sombrero Stables Crew
Denver, Colorado
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Beautiful, fun & yummy!”
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Sombrero Stables

We enjoyed a sleigh ride and dinner. Truly the perfect winter activity for all ages and abilities.

Sleigh ride was approx 45 min.
Dinner followed. Steak, chicken or fish.
Salad, Baked potato and beans. With all the fixens.
Hot coco, cider, coffee, hot tea & water all at the table.
The grand finale was dynamite peach pie/cobbler topped with vanilla ice cream.

Amy was our sleigh driver. She was knowlegable, fun and just overall great to be around

Amanda checked us in and answered my million questions prior to our arrival.

Bob was the dinning hall cook. Great home made food. He was a great guy. Fabulous cooking skills and nice presentation.. Bob was very social & caring. He made sure everyone was taken care of.

Roughly 1000 horses on property. All different and stunning in their own right.

******bundle up this is an evening event in the mountains!!!

Thank you for riding with us, and for taking the time to highlight our staff here on Trip Advisor. From Amanda in the Office to Bob in the Kitchen and Amy and all of our Teamsters, we are so lucky to have such a great crew this winter! Hope we get to see you again in the future...

Best

Sarah & The Sombrero Stables Crew
Denver, Colorado, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Dinner and sleigh ride”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

If you've never done a sleigh ride, do it now. It's so much fun to watch the horses get hitched up, climb in and snuggle under wool blankets for a ride through the snow, in the dark. It's cold so dress warm! We saw two young male moose loping around the fences, that was pretty cool. My boys are 4 and 7 and they loved it. After the sleigh loops around, you're back at home base for a warm, filling, delicious cowboy steak dinner: salad, warm bread, baked potato, baked beans, peach cobbler. My boys ate every bite after a long day of ice skating, tubing and skiing. This is an awesome family memory!

Liz,

Thanks so much for bringing your family to ride with us, your boys were a lot of fun to host! We pride ourselves on having food "even the kids will eat" so it's always good to hear we're still living up to that promise. The moose are hard to schedule, but they've been making a lot of appearances this winter. See you again soon!

Sarah & The Sombrero Stables Crew