“Awesome ride at Sombrero”

Sombrero Stables at Snow Mountain Ranch
Ranked #2 of 11 things to do in Granby
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore the Rockies the Old-Fashioned way! Open Year-Round, Sombrero Stables on the Snow Mountain Ranch-YMCA property offers 1-4 hour horseback rides, wagons rides, and sleigh rides, seasonally permitting. Also available are our wedding carriage (may be rented for anniversaries or other special occasions as well...), a one-horse-open sleigh, and dining facilities for special occasions. What if everyone rode a horse or wagon to your... Rehearsal Dinner? Birthday celebration? Wedding Anniversary? Let us know your ideas! Family and kid friendly, pony rides available for the young buckaroos.
Los Angeles, California
“Awesome ride at Sombrero”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Last time I rode a horse in CO I had a fall that broke a couple of ribs. I have been fearful ever since. Sarah at Sombrero took the time and had the patience to help me overcome those fears. She was kind and listened and matched me to great horses (Utah and Fancy). I will be forever grateful. Evan in my nervous state I noticed the trails are beautiful. The guides know what they're doing. I can not wait to go back!

Visited July 2013
SombreroStablesSMR, Manager at Sombrero Stables at Snow Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Eva, getting you back on a horse outside the arena was the highlight of our week. From Marshall, Erica, and myself, we are all so proud! Looking forward to riding with you for many years to come.

Best
Sarah

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Steak Ride”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Sombero Stables offers a great "Steak Ride." through Snow Moutain Ranch. The staff are very helpful, curteous and welcoming! My wife and I enjoyed this 2.5 hour ride through the moutains in a downpour that last almost the entire 1.5 hr ride to begin with. The meal was delcious, Sirlion Steak with Seasoned Potatoes and some kind of bread that made to order. I wouldn't change a thing including the awesome rainstorm we were in. The Horses are very well trained and can make the ride for even the most basic/beginner riders truly effortless. There is a carriage that is drivin by Clydesdales, avalible if you have small children or anyone in your party does not feel up to riding a horse. Definately an experience all couples and familes should pursue!

Visited July 2013
The "Colorado Adventure Rainstorm Ride" has been very popular this year! Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback; we've got a wonderful staff this year and your glowing review of their performance is much appreciated. See you next time...
Chicago, IL
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Beautiful Ride & Great Horses”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We did 4 rides while staying at the Snow Mountain Ranch. Sombrero Stables is on the YMCA Snow Mountain Ranch property so it is very convenient if you are staying on property. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. They outfitted each individual with an appropriate horse for the riders level of experience. Helmets were available if you wanted to use one. The horses are very well trained and we didn't have any issues while riding. We did a breakfast and dinner ride. Both were very nice. You ride for about an 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 hours and then stop for your meal. They have a trailer / chuck wagon where they do all the cooking and when you arrive you can wash up and sit down under a tent for your meal. Good food and a nice little area for a cookout.

The riding is mostly just a trail ride. Sometimes they will let you trot a bit with a smaller group. We did one longer ride up a mountain which was very pretty. Some steep inclines but the horses handled it expertly. Make sure you have long pants on though as some of the paths are narrow and you may brush up against branches.

Visited June 2013
Thanks to our frequent riders for trying out so many options! Hope to see you again when you're back out this way... Maybe we'll have a new mountain trail to explore?
Columbus, Ohio
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Scenic Horseback Rides, Wonderful Guides”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Our guide, Karen, was fantastic. She told stories that kept both the toddler and the teenager engaged. We went for a breakfast ride. Be aware that it may be COLD or windy in the mountains and they ride regardless (they also ride in rain or snow but not in thunderstorms). We had to purchase hats and gloves and wear all of our layers to be able to tolerate the temperature but it was great fun once we were out on the trail (and thankfully in the sunshine).

They allow for children under 5 to double ride and my 3 year old had SO much fun. The horse was huge, but it didn't seem to phase her at all. The trails had some varied terrain which added to the fun, we got to go up and down hill and there were some deer right alongside the trail at one point. There was a small petting zoo with goats and sheep after the ride that the toddler also enjoyed.

My only complaint (and it's a small one) is that the website seemed to say that breakfast was "all you can eat" but it wasn't. The cook was great, friendly and fun to get to know. After one serving, we were told they were out of sausage. The cook made an extra pancake for the teenager, but didn't offer for any of the rest of us. They didn't make up any food for the toddler (even though I had to pay the same amount for her) so I had to keep cutting up my food and putting it on her empty plate. She couldn't have eaten an entire plate of food so I don't really blame them for not wanting to waste food; I would've appreciated a plate with just a pancake on it for her.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank WhatDianesReading
Hungry cowboys and cowgirls agree - All You Can Eat should always mean just that! Extra rations should always be available, and I apologize that that was not your experience. That said, thanks for taking the time to leave us feedback, I'm glad the rest of the ride was up to expectations

Sarah Hubbell-Engler
Manager
Sombrero Stables at Snow Mtn Ranch
Fort Myers, Florida
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 145 helpful votes
“Just as good in the winter!”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

We rode here a few summers ago and had a great time. After a few days of skiing in Winter Park, we decided to return to Sombero Stables for a snow filled ride.

Great staff, great horses and great value.

SombreroStablesSMR, Manager at Sombrero Stables at Snow Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Jeff, thanks for returning, hope we completed your quest for non-Floridian experiences.

Sarah