“Family fun”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Granby
Snow Mountain Ranch
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Granby
Sulphur, Oklahoma
“Family fun”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

We stayed in one of the cabins which had 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, and full kitchen. There was nothing fancy about the facilities, but it was clean and very comfortable. Our group ranged in age from 8 to 92 and there were activities and facilities for all of us. The volunteers who run this YMCA ranch were not professionals, but all were pleasant and eager to help. The food at the grill was surprisingly good. The scenery was amazing and, once out of the public areas, very quiet. I was impressed.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Atchison
Reviewed August 12, 2014

We have stayed at SMR many times with our children and grandchildren since the early 1980s. We have so many happy memories. This time we rented 2 cabins which allowed us to eat meals together. We had teenage grandchildren and 3 year old twins. There was plenty to do for everyone. Horseback riding, snow tubing, bicycle arena, swimming, canoeing, archery, roller skating, basketball, and hiking to the waterfall was a highlight for all of us. Older kids liked a day at the Alpine Slide in Winter Park. We book a raft trip every time we are in Colorado. Grocery stores in Fraser and Grandby are very convenient. Everyone is so friendly in this area. We were fortunate to see deer with fawns and a double rainbow. It was a restful week without media capturing our attention, and we love the silence! Might stay in the Yurts next time, but the cabins are so nice.

Room Tip: Cabins along Mill Gulch Road along the Meadow are very quiet. Upper Nine Mile Road has more cabins...
2 Thank Mary V
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed August 10, 2014

If you're an early riser and don't mind lots of loud people, barking dogs at 6:30 A.M., and an inordinate amount of cigarette smokers everywhere, this is the place for you. Our beds were clean and comfortable, the plumbing in our room worked, the towels were fresh and clean, but we did not get a very good night's sleep the one night we stayed. There was a loud family (3 generations) down the hall in our "lodge" that was up being loud past 10:30 at night, just lots of loud talking and shouting back-and-forth down the hallway. Then the group of loud teenagers/campers ran by our open windows at 6:00 A.M., and then just as we were getting back to sleep someone's lap dog right outside our open windows went into a fit of barking that was silenced by its owner only to be repeated five minutes later, like a canine snooze-alarm. In fact, don't expect any sort of auditory privacy anywhere. The rooms are not soundproof at all. The breakfast buffet was loud, but had some nice food choices. We'd been on the road for over two weeks and it was a bit of a surprise to us to encounter so many smokers (outside every bldg) on the YMCA campus. With windows open at the grill where we ate dinner, we were dealing with two employees smoking and talking on the veranda. There were other guests smoking outside or bldg. The hallway smell like cigarettes. As for customer service, we were given two tickets for 2 "free adult breakfasts" upon check-in. We didn't notice they were stamped to expire the DAY WE CHECKED IN, but the clerk taking money at breakfast the next day told us they had expired. Fortunately he was a reasonable human being and could tell that we were immediately unhappy, having just check-in the evening before. I complained about the noise and poor night's sleep at check-out, and received an apology from the college-aged desk clerk, accompanied by a "well duh" facial expression. But hey, the room was clean, well equipped w/ the basics, and the beds were comfortable. if that's all you're looking for....

Room Tip: Top floor tends to be quieter, but no elevator in our bldg.
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Third time at Snow Mountain Ranch YMCA and this time brought the cousins along! Was not disappointed! I'm not sure what makes this place so "magical" - the staff, the setting, or the fact that is is not "fancy" (because it isn't!) but everything just comes together for a wonderful vacation everytime. Rather than feel gouged on price the Y staff always try to save you money! Our 4 kids ages 9 to 13 had a nonstop blast - we attended the evening campfire, went on the night hike, rented mountain bikes for 2 days (so never used our cars) to get everywhere, hiked to a waterfall, played cards in the caferia after every meal, did the zipline, got stuck biking in the rain (yes, one of the highlights for the kids!), went on the summer tubing hill (really fun), roller skated, played ping pong, made matching family tie die tee shirts, did some other arts and crafts (and by the way the view from the arts and crafts center looks like the hills of the Sound of Music) with the lovely staff at the center), fed a hummingbird (thanks to one of the chefs who came out to show our kids how), saw lots of wildlife)...and missed doing some other stuff because we had to leave. Great trip.

Room Tip: There are cabins for families but you have to book early. We always end up getting rooms in the lod...
Friendswood, Texas
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Yes there is another YMCA of the Rockies besides the one in Estes Park. We stayed with another family in one large room at the Indian Peaks lodge. The room was basic, but had a fridge and a microwave - and a great view. No A/C but not an issue, it was very cool out at night.

We tried much of the ranch's offerings with our two 7 year olds: fishing, archery, tubing down a hill (hard to explain - fancy new installation with a wetted AstroTurf surface - lots of fun,) hiking, horseback riding, swimming, etc. The kids loved the playgrounds and reading the goats up the hill. Good common areas to relax in and available natural gas grills to cook your own food.

1 Thank David P
Ames, Iowa
Reviewed July 21, 2014

This YMCA of the Rockies property has extensive grounds and a variety of accommodations and activities. The variety of staffer backgrounds can occasionally lead to some below par service but overall the group is friendly, capable and welcoming. Activities are available to interest a wide range of ages and interests. New growth is offsetting some of the loss of pines to the pine beetle. Views are fabulous and there are a lot of trails on the grounds themselves for hiking, biking and cross-country skiing (winter). Unforturnately there seemed to be no one on staff who could provide information on off-site hiking possibilities (of which there are many but one has to know how to find the trailheads). We've stayed there many times and will continue to do so.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Chuck G
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Before making a reservation you have to remind yourself that this is the YMCA. I have read the comments below and proceeded with our vacation. It's ran by volunteers (wonderful people, especially in the Crafts and Church events) , part-time employees and full time employees mostly young students. There is NO consistency. It's like the YMCA in your area except on 5000 acres. You have to understand that as a guest you really giving a job to help these young workers to develop their social skills, work ethic, dependability and responsibility. It's not all about the guest, it's us who need to be patient and understanding to these employees so that we may mentor them by suggesting what they ought to do. I will call it the last of the great ymca's because it still hinders on Christian principles with the church, hiking worships and campfire sermons. In Fort Worth, they're calling it "The Y" now, taking out its Christian name. Here's our trip. We got there the first day and the card key maker didn't work. They unlocked the door so we could put our luggage in but we couldn't leave because we wouldn't be able to get back in. Card key fixed at 8pm that night. They did credit us 50 dollars(very nice). We drove in and saw the vast land that they have sitting on 5000 acres. Great for the outdoorsman/woman! This is a great place for a family to be TOGETHER. We have a 10 and 17 year older. If both kids are young this is a sweet deal. You sign up for activities THREE day's in advance. The KIVA building with roller skating, archery, dodge ball, basketball, and wall climbing is for small kids (inside events). Its' a large (high school) gym split into 3 areas. You can see everyone doing the activities at the same time. It's a place to have your young kids play and develop social skills and have fun. They do have nice roller skates(4 wheel) to use. It's nothing fancy, again it's to have your young children have fun economically. I thought it would be hard for my 17 year old eagle scout since we have hiked, camped and virtually everything, there were a few things we could do. Try the Frisbee golf. It has 19 holes, average 350 feet per hole and and is a great course. It's a lot of walking and it was great for me and my 17 yr. old to do something together. It's in the brush so you do have to hike and look where the (net) is before you throw and sometimes walk ahead to see where your opponent throws their Frisbee due to the tall grass so you do not lose the Frisbee. We both bonded and had a lot of fun. Again, this would be for the older kids. Bring your fishing poles for their reservoir. It has bass in it and it's free. It's a catch and release area. The reservoir isn't big but big enough for youngsters to fish. Also, the events for older kids are outside, archery (targets further away), Climbing wall (it's a hydraulic wall by the miniature golf course) is harder because the climbing knobs are further apart. Kids 13 and under will not like it. My son (very athletic) was the only one that could make it in our group. The zip line is cool. There are two of them and they are excellent. Great to try. REMEMBER ALL OUTSIDE activities CAN be CANCELLED AT ANYTIME DUE TO WIND, RAIN OR LIGHTENING. Don't get disappointed if this happens. For example, our archery canceled due to lightening. They try to notify you by outside PA SYSTEMS. You won't hear it and you will show up and no one is there. If it's canceled the other times may be booked. That's a chance you take with any business with outside sports. We were bummed and did the inside archery(for small kids) for my daughter. My son was disappointed but it was a good lesson for him knowing that not everything is ruined by one event. I tell him that not every vacation is paradise. So, we decided to go to crafts. They're open 830 am to 6 pm. This isn't a rink dink place, they have a lot of crafts to occupy your time especially your children's time. They have leather stamping, jewelry making, mosaic tile, model airplanes, belts, tie dye shirts, painting and ceramic painting etc. Talk to an adult or a full time employee and ask them what they offer, you'll be amazed. Our family wanted to do ceramic painting. If you do not know what this entails ( I didn't) you by a figurine (mine was a coffee cup), my wife got a margarita glass, you paint them with glaze paints of your own design. They have all colors and they will put them in the autoclave (fire them up) overnight and they will be ready the next morning or they will mail them to you if you leave that morning. The results are incredible. They look like you bought them and they're great family keepsakes. My son enjoyed it too, he made a Texas A&M beer glass with his own custom design (lol). It was nice sitting together and creating something that we will always remember. I'm glad it was open, a comment below (review)said that the guy opened it late. Maybe it was an off time because it had a staff of twelve people running it. As I'm writing, I'm drinking from my coffee cup now. Corny huh! REMEMBER THIS IS YMCA. If something cancels you go on to the next thing. There's a great hiking trail to a waterfall. There are many hiking trails. You can go horse back riding (it's located on the grounds but separate company). LODGING. We stayed in Indian Peak lodge (second floor a must but furthest away from the common area). We stayed there because cabins book very early and I missed out. I was surprised how it looked for this type of facility. Everything was clean and neat. The top cover is dark colored so you do not know if its clean or not. We stowed it away, you don't need it. The beds are NOT hotel style. Kids stay at this place and the items are bought to somewhat withstand their beating. Mattresses must have a pea under them and the fitting bottom sheet kept coming out during the night causing the sheet to crumple underneath me. I took it off (since I don't wet the bed I put down a regular sheet (not advised for young children) . I can't believe people actually bring their dogs to the lodge. It's a small room and I can't imagine having my pets and other pet dander there. But, they do. Our room was clean and odorless. The young employees really do quite well in keeping the place clean. Knowing how many kids go through that building I was surprised there weren't many paint marks, scratches or broken items in the building. It looked kept up. But this was Indian Peak, I don't know about the other lodges. BIG TIP, RESERVE A FAN ( or bring your own box fan guaranteed) if you stay in the Summer. There is no a/c and the breeze sometimes stops at night and it gets warm. There's a microwave and fridge. There is free coffee, cups, sugar and plain hot water in the common area. We bought snacks and lunch items for the middle of the day to put in fridge as to cut cost. There is a Safeway in Fraser about 10 minutes away. Our two kids used the two free breakfast passes for The Commons as me and my wife usually have coffee and something with it from the store. Actually, the breakfast was good, it's made by students so there's not going to be any spices etc. It's plain food. They have fruit juices, but some of them were watered down, again I'm sure a volunteer misread and added too much water. I went to another juice and I found a good orange juice. It was sweeter than usual so I added water (lol). Remember, this is the YMCA meant for children. I think it's indirect teachings are to teach us patience and understanding while having a good time. For dinner we ate out, we got tired of burgers etc. on our way there. So ,we didn't try The Commons (we did breakfast) or the other place as it only has the typical burger and pizza (once frozen) food. FOOD-- We ate at ELEVATORS (pizza place in Fraser) it's located in a strip mall across the street from safeway. We looked them up on Trip Advisor and they had a 5 star rating. That is some of the BEST pizza I have ever had. We had just plain pepperoni and it just tasted good. DO NOT EAT AT CREEKSIDE EATERY. They are also known for their Crooked Creek saloon next door. Don't know about the saloon part but the food was really terrible. We looked it up on Trip Advisor but there weren't any reviews. The food was burnt, my chicken fried steak was leather, my kids ribs were burnt. The ribs looked like they were cut in half (through the bone) so to make two servings. I know my chicken fried steak wasn't angus, seriously I had them take it back and the second one was like a hard overcooked pork chop. Also they are pricey $$$. There were four of us and I left 88.00 dollars there. There were four of us at Elevators and I left 37 dollars and had great food. We ate at the Winter Park Pub and left 55 dollars. That was an order of nachos (me and my wife split), chicken wings for my daughter, and a great club sandwich and onion rings for my son. Oh, three beers, pink lemonade and pepsi. Family of four can go out and eat at an average of 45 dollars not counting liquor and being daring as to eat at a restaurant without a trip advisor review. What else did we do, we tried the MAD adventures river rafting. I did this for my 17 year old son as to make a memory and add some excitement for him during our stay. I made this for the last day because after this the activities at Snow Mountain will seem lame. We had a blast!! If your children are 10 and younger you have to do Class three (my wife and daughter did this). My son and I did Class 4. Do class 4 if you can. BE SURE TO rent at least a jacket from them. This is the Summer but the water is 40 degrees and if you're sitting up front you'll be glad you had it. The strongest paddlers sit up front so if you volunteer you will be soaked. MAD adventures is in Dumont. Leave 1hr and 15min. to be there on time. It's a drive but it's worth it because they are on the river. Other companies you drive to their place then they drive you (40min) to the river. Class three is either 2 hours before or after class four. While you are waiting for your party on class three or four you can go to one of the longest roads in America up the mountain. We didn't do that but it's there. Idaho Springs is a quaint little town. Things to do while you wait. BE SURE TO BOOK WITH THEM AT LEAST A WEEK. We booked 4 days before and we were told that was it. A lot of church groups come in during the Summer and they book early. AGAIN BOOK THREE DAYS IN ADVANCE AT YMCA FOR ALL ACTIVITIES. THEY GET FULL due to all the church groups there. Well, I think that sums it up. Don't expect hotel style or even motel style. It's a place, with your imagination and determination your family will have fun. If something cancels go on to the next thing. There is something always to do with YOUR FAMILY there. That's what's this place is about, the opportunity to find something to do. Go to the library and get a deck of cards or game. One night my son looked up a card game on his laptop (no t.v. there) and we laughed so hard just playing together. I was surprised how we could do that. It was a neat time. Oh, get microwaveable popcorn for the kids. We brought our laptop for communication and DVD's for late night movie for the kids, my wife and I sat on the patio (with jacket 48 degrees) looked at the mountains and of course we brought our own wine. The Summer tubing is was just built and it's fun for little ones but you do have to reserve a spot and it's free as long as you're staying there. You get what you pay for. Leaving from Fort Worth, TX (15hr drive) we stayed in a nice hotel in Denver (13hrs away), gas, food on the way, drove into Winter Park (19min from YMCA), you ought to try it. They have a fun bob sled slide down the mountain and a zip line. They're a little pricey, fifteen dollars each and once per ride. It was unique and I've never done or seen anything like it. Since check in at YMCA is at 3pm we ate at Winter Park where there are other things to do as well but we didn't have time or money too. Staying at the YMCA, river rafting and back home we spent 1500 dollars The gas was a third of our trip. Crazy! I hope this helps. I read comments below and they're all dead on. I mean this is a place that provides necessity for fun and togetherness. This is what you pay for but if you haven't been or done anything at the locacl YMCA you will be shocked. I've been to 4star places that cater just like this, BUT they do not give you the opportunity to choose or to help you keep within your budget. This place is for budget minded people who like the outdoors and who will go with the flow. I hope this helps. Have fun!

Room Tip: Preferably a cabin. If you must stay in a lodge, we stayed in Indian Peaks lodge. Have them put you...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Steve D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Granby
Winter Park Mountain Lodge
#10 of 15 in Winter Park
Zephyr Mountain Lodge
Zephyr Mountain Lodge
#3 of 25 in Winter Park

Been to Snow Mountain Ranch? Share your experiences!