“Dirty little hotel but very cheap.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Homestead Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Granby
Homestead Motel
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Granby
Rifle, Colorado, USA
“Dirty little hotel but very cheap.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2011

Hair and soap in bath. Internet doesn't work. Train across the street allnight long. Walls so thin you hear the people next door like they are in your room. Plus very small beds.

Very cheap but save you money and drive on.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank bubba2244

Business
Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

First, I typically stay in national chain properties or vacation rentals. I don't usually frequent mom and pop type motels, but I found myself with very few options and I wanted to make this area my home base while doing some hiking and exploration in this area. So, I booked the Homestead based on the fact that it had a vacancy--something other places I had looked into did not and the reviews on this site made it sound pretty decent. It was an acceptable place in that it was clean and it was very reasonable. The motel does not have air conditioning. This was fine during the evening and morning but the temperatures were in the high 80s and low 90s midday during most of my stay and so the room did get uncomfortable.I did not know that it was not air-conditioned until I arrived. When I booked I did not think to ask this question but I did ask about Internet connectivity and was told that the motel had wi-fi. Upon check-in I was told that wifi was not easily had from the rooms furthest from the office. I think there are ten rooms total and I was near the end. I was advised to sit in my car outside the office but when I tried that numerous times I could not log in. I was given a passcode but never could get a signal. I learned that the Java Lava cafe down the street has wifi and so I went there daily to check my email. They close at 2 p.m., however, so this was a bit of an inconvenience for me. There are railroad tracks across the highway from the motel and this is fun during the day when one can watch the long trains carrying their coal, etc. Trains, however, run all night and since there was no AC and I kept the windows open to make the room bearable the noise of the train was very loud. The unit I was in consists of one small room with a bed, chest, and a single chair, a bathroom with tub/shower, and a kitchen. The shower head was about chest high and even though I re-positioned the spray I had to bend down to shampoo my hair. Water pressure was good though the water seemed to spray hot and cold--hard to get it to mix to a warm setting. The kitchen had a stove, refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, and toaster, as well as pots, pans, dishes, etc. i did not use the kitchen. The motel is a one story long structure very close to busy Hwy. 40 so there is also a lot of traffic noise at night. The room next to me was occupied and I could hear FOX news blaring from their TV, Did I sleep well here? No, I did not. The bed was comfortable, but the place was very noisy. If you book this motel you may want to bring earplugs or perhaps one of those white noise machines. I am not sure either can cover the sound of the trains. There is no free breakfast but I highly recommend the Java Lava down the street for breakfast, There were two bars of soap in the room, extra toilet paper, a razor, Kotex, a squeeze type shampoo packet, and some free samples of anti-snoring products and lotion. This is a pretty basic bare bones place--you get what you pay for. When I arrived a sign on the office door said that the innkeeper would be back at 3 but it ws already 4 p.m. then. I called and left a message saying that I was going into town to look around and for the innkeeper to call me when he/she returned. No one called and i finally decided just to go back and wait since very little was available to do in the downtown area. The office was open when I arrived. That is the sort of thing that does not happen at a chain hotel, and it certainly started my stay off to a less than pleasant start. All in all, I might stay here again if I found myself in the same situation as I was on this trip, but I am hopeful that next time I will book far enough in advance so as not to be. I decided to look on this stay as an adventure. For me, it was definitely that.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank BeingGreen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

This is and old motel that has really been kept up. It's no resort, but the beds are comfy and everything is really clean.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank 806cher
Greeley, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2011

My family and I stayed at the Homestead Motel during Spring break,20ll. There was a total of nine persons in my party. My husband and I,my son, his wife, their teenaged son, our daughter and her three children. Cheryl was very accommodating, and friendly. I only met Vince,didn't have much interaction with him, but upon meeting him, he, too was very welcoming. The motel was very clean, clean floors, clean bath, windows and mirrors were very clean. We occupied three units, my husband and I had the unit that had the kitchen. All of us ate two meals each day we were there,there was adequate space in the kitchen to cook. Cheryl insisted on bringing in extra supplies. My seven year old grandson lost his show while playing in a snowbank on the back of the motel, Cheryl cheerfully furnished a shovel to help locate and dig out the shoe. I am quite fussy about cleanliness, this place was clean. I would stay there again. A good value for the money.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank fernecia
Northglenn, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2010

We were a party of 15, 6 of whom stayed at the Homestead for two nights with 3 dogs. There are very few pet friendly accommodations in Granby, and the Homestead was the only one we found. We did not have a good experience. The owner was very inquisitive about the types of dogs and who was staying in the rooms. When one of our party came to visit, owner Cheryl asked where she was staying. During our stay, the plumbing backed up. They were fairly quick to offer us another room, but we preferred to see if it could be fixed to save us a move. Fortunately, the problem did clear up and we stayed in the same rooms. However, Cheryl informed us at least 3 times that we would have to move while we were waiting for the outcome. We are used to train noises, but the tracks are right across the street from the motel and the noise was pretty loud. The other owner, Vince, was very friendly and patient and we enjoyed his hospitality. The rooms with kitchen have a large kitchen with full size stove and refrigerator. The other rooms have small refrigerators and microwaves. Our recommendation would be to not take dogs to Granby unless you can find another place to stay. And, if you value privacy, avoid the Homestead as well.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SwedishSafari
granby1157, Owner at Homestead Motel, responded to this review, August 17, 2010
Guests were caught sneaking extra people and pets into their room to avoid extra charge. When a party checks in, they are asked how many people will be joining them and also asked if they have pets with them. We try to accomodate all situations to the best of our ability, however, when a guest is disshonest durring check in, (State statute: "Defrauding an inkeeper,") we feel that it entitles us to further questioning of the number of guests. Also, usually a guest that is caught defrauding is asked to leave without refund. We did not exercise our right to do so in this instance. Thanks for looking. Vince and Cheryl Brenner.

Travelers are raving about these Granby hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2010

On our last four days holiday in USA, we motored to The Homestead Motel in Granby, CO. We had stayed there 3-4 years ago. We were lucky as Cheryl and Vince had just the one room left, with a kitchenette too. Cheryl and Vince Brenner are a great couple who own and run their motel with great pride and work very hard indeed. The Motel rooms are reasonably priced being much cheaper than the ones at Great Lake Resort.

Cheryl was just making up the room with freshly laundered bedding including the pillows, so it all smelled lovely and fresh. Cheryl made sure that there was everything we needed and told us to ask her if we needed anything else. The room was a good size and was absolutely spotless, with the kitchenette being well equiped, accommodating a full size cooker, fridge/freezer table and chairs Shopping for food was no problem as there is a large supermarket (City Market) 3 miles away. Bathroom had a full size bath, shower and toilet and adequate towels. Plenty of room outside to park vehicles, boats etc,.

There is much wild life to be seen and photograph so do ask Cheryl and Vince as they will point you in the right direction especially to view the wild moose! Windy Gap lake nearby is very interesting too with elk, pelicans etc.

Granby has shops and restaurants as has Grand Lake Resort not too far away along with the Rocky Mountain National Park, which is a must of course. The Homestead Motel is only 2 hours away from Denver Airport with beautiful scenery on route.

Ask Cheryl about her great pedicures and massage. She is fully qualified in this and we sure felt good afterwards. We will, without a doubt, stay at The Homestead Motel when we next visit USA.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fanny1212
Arvada, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2010

Granby is a small town located approximately 20 - 30 minutes from all other towns and the many outdoor activities in Grand County. We always stay at the Homestead Motel, knowing Cheryl and Vince Brenner will have a clean and comfortable room waiting for us when we arrive, a pleasant welcome and competitive prices. One and a half hours from Denver, Grand County is a year around outdoor play ground we have enjoyed for many years. Downhill skiiing at the Winter Park and Mary Jane resorts, in Winter Park, and at Sol Vista Ski Area in Granby, cross country skiing, snow shoeing, snowmobiling and ice fishing are a few activities we enjoy in the winter. In summer hiking, biking, fishing, boating and camping are all available throughout the county. We try to spend as much of our free time as possible in Grand County, and if we are not camping (summer only), we always stay at the Homestead Motel, and have never been disappointed.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 1AL2JEFF
Also consider these accommodations in or near Granby
Littletree Inn
#2 of 3 in Fraser
The Canyon Motel
The Canyon Motel
#1 of 3 in Hot Sulphur Springs

Been to Homestead Motel? Share your experiences!