“Fantastic Family Holiday”
Review of Drowsy Water Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Granby
Drowsy Water Ranch
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Granby
Greater London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Family Holiday”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I've been dreaming about going to this place for the last 20 years since my brother and his family visited and recommended it. I was not disappointed. Immediately upon arrival, The Fosha family make everyone feel extremely welcome and nothing is too much trouble. I travelled with my husband and two teenage sons, none of whom had ever sat on a horse before and it had taken me a long time to convince them to try it. I can safely say we have all come away from DWR longing to go back and my 3 non-riders can now lope (canter) with confidence. The staff were amazing, always cheerful and polite. Special mention must go to Jake and Ryan who look after the Rangeriders (6-13 yrs old) which such energy and fun whilst they are not riding and to all the wranglers who coached, guided and entertained us all on each of our rides.
The food was plentiful and home cooked fresh everyday- even the bread! Delicious cakes, cookies and desserts were supplied, along with packed lunches for the all-day riders. Meals are served in the dining room and all the guest sit together which gives you an opportunity to chat with other guests and compare stories about the day.

The cabins are clean and comfortable, each has a slightly different layout. Ours had 2 bedrooms and one bathroom, with an extra wash basin area. They are cleaned everyday and towels replaced. They provide pool towels too.
On the Ranch there is a pool and a hot tub, a kids fishing lake, a small play area, some chickens, goats, a pig, the family's dogs and of course, not forgetting all the fabulous horses. Each one is hand picked by the Fosha family to match the rider and it is clear to see that the family love each of these horses dearly. There is a zip line course, (additional cost) but it is great fun and well worth the extra cost, guided by two fully trained staff members.
There is something going on most nights- campfires with s'mores and songs sung by Ken and his band, hayrides, a staff show, a fun carnival evening playing family fairground type games.

The scenery around the ranch area is amazing. Each ride takes a different route mostly, so you get to see a different view every time you ride. You can ride for just the morning, just the afternoon, both or all day - whichever suits you best. Nothing is too much trouble - if your horse doesn't suit you, they will swap it for a different one without any problems. The wranglers will guide your ride and explain the different types of flowers, the mountains, the legends of the area, spotting wildlife such as moose, elk, chipmunks, squirrels etc. It is easy to sit back on the horse and just relax, take in the view and partake in casual conversation with the other riders and the wrangler.

This place is a little bit of heaven hidden in the Rocky Mountains and we can't wait to visit again. It has been our best family holiday by far. Well done everyone at DWR. You are all brilliant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Carlsbad, California, United States
Reviewed July 28, 2013

If you are looking for a great Western horse-back experience, then DWR should be atop your list of finds.

My wife, and daughter (12) and I travel with another terrific family of three, all of us good riders (the kids are the best of course) and experienced Dude Ranch vacationers. We loved DWR.

First and foremost, the riding experiences were incredible, with terrific vistas, comfortable and challenging rides through 1000's of acres of the Great Divide! My trip to the top of Music Mountain, offering a 360 degree view of the entire Granby/Hot Sulphur Springs and Rocky Mountain valleys were amongst some of the best. And the challenging ride up & down those mountains was so much FUN!

We were there to ride, but when we weren't riding, we weren't bored! There is plenty to do (or not do if you like peace & quiet), like Ziplining 320 feet above the DWR's grounds, mountain bike riding, trout fishing, adult team penning, campfires, kids rodeos, & kids programs, and more! The evening activities included dancing, a carnival, and a very, very funny DWR Ranch Hands show. Everyone goes home with something, and there's something for everyone at DWR!

The facilities were clean and well kept (a lot of work goes in to that!). We were very comfortable in our 2-bedroom cabin by the flowing Drowsy Water stream that runs through the property. We enjoyed our porch view each day for our own happy hour, while we relaxed to the view.

They are only about 10 minutes from Granby, so if we needed anything we could drive into town, get whatever we needed and get back in very short time. Very convenient.

The Fosha family are wonderful folks, and know how to provide a true Western Adventure for the beginner and the experienced! Their staff is very professional, outgoing, and extra-ordinarily friendly...many grew up going to DWR with their families, so they know all there is to know about DWR as well!

Put them on your list of adventures!

Room Tip: Book early!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Geoff L
Springfield, Ohio
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was our second trip to DWR. 3 years ago, we took our granddaughter; this time we added our son and daughter-in-law. So there were 5 of us ranging in age from 8 to 66, and we all had a fabulous time. The Fosha family and their staff are exceptionally friendly, knowledgeable, and accommodating. The setting is beautiful, and the scenery on some of the trail rides is genuinely breathtaking. The facilities are appropriately Western rustic; the cabins and lodge are spotless. The list of available activities is long, varied, and always entertaining.

The atmosphere of DWR is firmly unpretentious; self-important Club Med types will not really fit in here. But for the rest of us, DWR delivers an experience to reflect upon happily for years to come. We will be going back, for sure.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We all(4) had a great time with only one bad experience with one wrangler. Everyone else on the
staff was great.Great place for young children to learn about ranching and riding. If you love the outdoors and the wide open West, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Get a cabin by the Creek . The sound will relax anyone.
3 Thank Citysliciker007
DrowsyWater, Owner at Drowsy Water Ranch, responded to this review, December 18, 2014
Thank you for the review on our ranch. We are sorry to hear you had an issue with one of our wranglers. We strive to hire outstanding, honest, responsible and entertaining folks at the ranch in all of our departments. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing your family in the future.
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We traveled to DWR with our four kids (ages 9, 11, 13, 15) not really knowing what to expect. We are "city folk" through and through, but we had an AMAZING time. This area of CO (about 2 hours north of Denver) is gorgeous. The family which owns DWR (The Foshas) are warm and welcoming and go out of their way to make their guests feel at home. Our cabin was adorable, situated right on the kids' fishing pond. We feel asleep to the sound of the creek right outside our window. Our kids all really enjoyed the kids' program -- they learned how to ride horses, made great friends, and really enjoyed the counselors. With our kids enjoying the kids' program, my husband and I were free to take half-day or full-day rides into the mountains. The scenery was beautiful and our wranglers were knowledgeable both about the region and the horses. My oldest son and I really loved the zipline -- it was a highlight for us. The food was very good, and we especially enjoyed the "adults-only" dinner. My kids were already talking about returning next year before our week was over! And did I mention they have Wi-Fi?!! This was truly a relaxing and fun experience for our whole family.

Room Tip: DWR has a variety of cabins and rooms to fit any family size...
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We went to DWR with our 3 children ages 7,9,9. By the time we turned into the driveway of the ranch, our kids were already asking to come back next year. Boy were they right! It was a magical week. The riding was amazing, but it's so much more than that! While my husband and I took advantage of every ride we could take, we equally enjoyed simply watching our children do what children do...play, make friends and enjoy the outdoors. They talked nonstop about "their horses", and felt a bond with them immediately. They learned to ride with confidence, and showed off their skills at the rodeo on the last day of the trip. When they weren't riding, their counsellors Jake and Ryan were there with games and activities to keep the kids engaged morning to night. They ate their meals and ran outside to play, again, with their new friends.

My husband and I were able to reconnect in a way that isn't possible in our regular work weeks. We also enjoyed meeting all the other fabulous guests. We made many friends, and we plan to reconnect next year with 3 families, again at the ranch.

The staff was wonderful top to bottom. The cabins were immaculate and cleaned beautifully every day. The food was delicious, and the wait staff was friendly and attentive. They didn't let us lift a finger. As for the riding, my husband and I are beginners, but really wanted to learn. Although I was having trouble learning to lope, Randy Sue and the wranglers went above and beyond to make sure that I was able to stay safe in my saddle while participating in the all day rides. It would have been much easier just to keep me on a slower paced ride, but they made the extra effort, and I loved it! Thank you so much Randy Sue, Tanner and Jesse!

I think my husband was skeptical of the cost of this vacation before we went, but once we were there, he agreed that this was worth every cent. The Foshas do it right. From the staff, family friendly atmosphere, horses and evening activities, everything was great! He and I both are more than ready to head back next year, and many more.

2 Thank Jennifer S
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My wife and I went for the last week of the season, adults only, and it turned out to be one of the best vacations of my life! I hadn't really ridden a horse in 20 yrs, and my wife had never ridden, but the staff made us both comfortable and helped us turn into cowboys, haha! This was the perfect week for us to be there, the aspens were absolutely beautiful, and there were only about 20 people at the ranch so the service was impeccable! We went white water rafting, ziplining, plenty of riding, and had a great time with the people we met- several of us stay in touch still to this day. Don't hesitate, book your trip and enjoy the beautiful scenery!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ScottyG23
Also consider these accommodations in or near Granby
Gateway Inn
Winter Park Mountain Lodge
Winter Park Mountain Lodge
#3 of 15 in Winter Park
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fraser - Winter Park Area

Been to Drowsy Water Ranch? Share your experiences!