“Great Dude Ranch Vacation!”
Review of Drowsy Water Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Granby
Drowsy Water Ranch
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Granby
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Our extended family of 9 (my parents, my 2 boys aged 10 and 7, my sister, brother in law and my nieces aged 10 and 8) went to the Drowsy Water Ranch the first week of July 2012. I did a lot of research online to find the right ranch for our family trip and the Drowsy Water Ranch seemed a perfect fit. Our stay did not disappoint!. The Fosha Family made us feel welcome right from the start. My two boys had never ridden horses before, but the wranglers taught them how to walk, trot and lope (and steer!) the horses in a relaxed and fun way. In no time Tanner was taking them out on a Trail Ride and they were totally comfortable. My neices had more experience on horses and they had a great time as well. I had not ridden horses since I was a kid, but I found that after my lessons I quickly felt very comfortable on my horse "Blondie." My brother in law had more horse experience and went on a challenging all day ride with Wrangler Nick and a group of other adults which he said was amazing. I rode with my kids, with other adults and we even did a ride with just our family. The horses were beautiful and healthy and well trained. The views on the rides were gorgeous. The breakfast ride was awesome...cowboy eggs are the best.

I wa a bit skeptical about the square dancing night, but my biys and i had a great time and my older son was so disappointed when he heard that there was not going to be another square dance night. I went on 2 guided mountain bike rides with Ian (one in the pouring rain which was great!). The whitewater rafting trip is not to be missed...gorgeous views, jumped off a cliff into the Colorado River below and stopped for a picnic lunch on the river. The zip line was being installed the week we were there. Looked amazing!

My sons caught trout in the fishing pond and Justin Fosha cooked one up for our breakfast. The staff that worked with the kids were great (Jake and Kayla). It was like the kids were at camp playing games, doing crafts and even starring in the staff show. The kids did a rodeo on the last day at the ranch to show off their horsemanship.

Our accommodations were comfortable and I fell asleep with the sound of the Drowsy Water Creek in the background each night. We were so busy on the ranch I am sorry to say we did not take advantage of the guided hike with Greta or the night at the hot springs. If you come, you may want to budget an extra day or two to check out Winterpark and the local lakes/scenery. We met some great families at the ranch and the kids quickly made new friends.

As far as the negative review on trip advisor, all I can really say is that the writer of the bad review really does not belong at a dude ranch (they should be at a resort of some type). For those looking for an old fashioned family good time on a dude ranch, Drowsy Water Ranch is the place to go! We hope to make it back to the ranch again soon!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Ryan S
DrowsyWater, Owner at Drowsy Water Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Howdy!
We wanted to thank you for your review of our ranch. A response is hard without using your names since we know everyone on a first name basis so I apologize for the general language.

We still speak of your fantastic family! I think we are still trying to get the mud off the bikes from your guided Mtn Bike trip in the mud. The zip lines are up and running and turned out great. We posted a new video of one on our website on the activities page.

By now I am sure your whole family is taking square dance lessons in CA with your new passion...haha.

We know it will be a few years until we see your family again but we already look forward to it. Thanks again for being a great family and adding your personalities and fun to the ranch!

Reviewed July 15, 2012

The food is wholesome, nutritious, and abundant. The adult dining evening was extra special!
The cabins are clean with the appropriate decor designed for ease and comfort
It's all about the experience. We had 9 family members who all agree it doesn't get any better!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank cathyrmeye
Reviewed July 2, 2012

If you are looking for a place that will allow you and your family to get back in touch with nature, this is the place. Drowsy Water Ranch was a great experience for our entire family. Myself, my husband, and our two children, ages 10 and 6 had a blast! The cabins are small, quaint, and cozy. There is no television in the rooms and the kids didn't ask for it once! It was so nice to go back to the basics and for the kids to simply enjoy being outside, meeting new friends, playing in the stream, kicking dirt, and just having good old fashioned fun. We never had to worry about dinner reservations or where we would eat. Drowsy Water provided three meals a day, breakfast, lunch, and supper. The kids anxiously await for someone to tell them to ring the bell for lunch and supper, and everyone goes to the dining room to have a great home cooked meal. The staff was very accommodating. There was always p-nut butter and jelly on hand if the kids didn't like what was served. My kids loved every meal and looked forward to eating. It's a safe place for kids to run around and just be kids. They didn't need to be watched all the time as we sometimes get accustomed to in the "city." However, there were counselors around playing with and entertaining the kids all the time. There are different kids programs for the different age groups. The programs are fun and not too structured. The kids can participate or they don't have to if they don't want. But, guaranteed, they will want to be with the other kids. The kids came to love the counselors and it was hard to say goodbye. They offer all kinds of activities each day, hiking, rafting, fishing, hot springs, carnival, square dancing, staff show, cow penning, and of course, horseback riding. A huge part of the ranch is the horses. They are so beautiful. My kids went in different groups because they were in different skill levels. However, the wranglers are so willing to accomodate. We rode with our kids on two of the five days that we rode. The other days we rode with the adults, which involved more loping. The kids rides are a bit slower and easier terrain. But they really try to give you the riding experience that you want and they want it to be safe. They are careful not to allow too large of a group with only one wrangler. Kids can't ride with the adult groups. Adults can go with the kids if they choose. The hardest part was saying goodbye to the horses and new friends. The kids become quite attached to the horses, and so do the adults. There were tears much of the way home from my 10 year old daughter. She really misses her horse. I think Drowsy Water Ranch creates a great balance between kids programs and adult programs. You get to spend plenty of time with your family and children. However, you get some adult time as well while the kids are close by being well taken care of by counselors... playing games and having fun. It truly is a really great place. We really didn't want to leave and are already planning to go back!

2  Thank Shellycres

Howdy.
We wanted to thank you for your review of our ranch on Trip Advisor. We know you found out about our ranch on Trip Advisor and appreciate you taking the time to review our ranch for other potential families like yours.

Montana, Cooper, Breeze and Commanche worked out great for your horses and glad your son (can't use names on Trip Advisor) was okay with Strawberry for the kids' rodeo at the end of the week. And we can still picture both your kids in their sweet plaid western shirts at the rodeo.

A big Howdy to our new friends in Mechanicsburg PA! Thanks to all 4 of you for being great guests! If we don't see you again this summer hopefully in 2014!

Reviewed June 13, 2012

This ranch meets or exceeds all of the excellent reviews on this site and others. Our family had a great time and we enjoyed ourselves beyond expectations. Overall, we highly recommend a trip to the Drowsy Water Ranch and hope to return for another stay.

The location is absolutely beautiful with breathtaking views everywhere on the ranch and even to and from the airport. The accommodations are clean, and so comfortable that we never experienced that "miss my own bed" feeling at any time during our week long stay. The activities are abundant and well planned, but leave opportunities to explore independently as well. The kids were occupied and engaged throughout the trip in wholesome fun and adventure.

The ranch is a truly authentic experience. I was impressed that my kids never uttered the word "bored" during our entire stay -even without TV, electronics, etc. We all found it so refreshing to really unplug and enjoy the adventure.

While horseback riding is the theme of the trip, other highlights we really enjoyed were trout fishing and eating our catch prepared by the chef, the kids and adult hayrides and campfires, the carnival, and the kids rodeo. We also made great friends with the other guests.

Aside from the activies and adventures and amazing setting, the Fosha family and staff really make this trip. We felt welcome and appreciated the entire time. In addition to excellent service, we made some great friends among those who work at the ranch and ended the week feeling like family.

1  Thank Kara H
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We just got home from our week at the Drowsy Water Ranch. Our kids are still teary-eyed and begging to go back next year.

Our western style cabin was quaint, very clean, well appointed, and appropriately up to date. This is not a luxury resort, but quite comfortable and well suited.

The Fosha family (owners) and all the staff we just outstanding. As intended, we really felt like part of the ranch family. The wait staff, housekeepers, kids counselors (Emily rocks), and horse wranglers all provided a highly personal touch.

The horses on the ranch are not the zombie horses that we had been used to on the trail rides we had taken before. This was an opportunity and adventure for our family to really learn to ride. There was some apprehensiveness in our family (horses are big!), but the outstanding wranglers (thanx Tanner, Nick, and Ellen) did a fantastic job in teaching and supporting our kids and the rides.

I expected alot of family time, which we got. But we also had a great time with the other guests on the ranch. There wasn't as much down time as expected - besides the trial rides, we also did mountain biking, rafting the Colorado River, hay rides, western/square dancing, cattle herding, fishing in the trout pond, and the infamous talent show, Every day and nite was active. Wife and I did take a night off by ourselves to just enjoy the swing on our cabin porch.

If don't mind getting a little dusty in the beautiful Colorado mountains and are looking for a great horse/ranch experience, I would highly recommend the DWR - just don't take cabin #2, that will be ours!

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with any of the cabins
3  Thank medincmh
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Because I use TripAdvisor so religiously, I felt compelled to add my belated two cents about DWR. Our family of five vacationed there a couple of summers ago, and it was an amazing experience. All the glowing reviews are accurate -- the horses, the staff, the food, the scenery were all wonderful. And right on cue, all three of our kids cried as we drove away from DWR. Not that I find this a pleasant way to end my vacation, but it certainly meant it made an impression on the kids -- they still talk fondly about "their" horses.

Since it's all been said using every superlative word out there, I won't be redundant. I will just add a point that I would've found helpful when planning. I would liken our week at DWR to a really cool summer camp for families. I think it's more enjoyable if you are social, enjoy meeting new people, and want to socialize on your vacation. Of course no one will force you to do so, and I met plenty of people who were quiet, reserved, and didn't want to sit around and share wine and beer with everyone. But at least during the week when we were there, it was a place that naturally promoted that type of easy, friendly mingling. And that is either good or bad, depending on what you want from your vacation, obviously. But an obvious corollary is that this is not exactly the type of vacation where you spend a lot of quality time with just your family, especially your kids. I find this to be true even when we travel with another family. The kids always want to be with the other kids. They go on their AM and PM rides in their respective age groups, so you don't really ride with them apart from the breakfast ride. Then when they are back at the ranch, the kids all play together in the pool, the creek, the playground, etc. You do eat all your meals together, but they are family-style meals so you are eating with other families at the same table usually. Again, this is neither good nor bad, obviously. It's just something to know so that you adjust your expectations accordingly. I heard several other parents say something to the effect of, "Gosh, my kid will barely even acknowledge me on this trip -- she's too anxious that she'll miss out on any of the fun with the other kids. She barely gives me time to sunscreen her before she flies out the cabin door." So for families who are content watching the kids run off and play (usually I am quite content with this), and enjoy hanging with other adults -- this is a win-win vacation. But on the rare occasion you actually want to spend a family vacation spending quality time just with one another -- this is probably not the place to fulfill that desire. DWR was a very cool, Western experience, and we got a very cool family movie out of it. As my kids get older, I do want to spend more quality face time with them, so it will probably be a very cool once-in-a-lifetime experience for us. But I won't be surprised if my kids go back as adults with their kids!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
17  Thank Wellesley88
Reviewed December 11, 2011

We went to DWR to let our 6 year old son experience something very different than his Florida lifestyle. We planned to go once. For the next 12 years we never missed a June trip to "the ranch". My sons first time living away from home was spent working at the ranch as part of the staff and we knew that he was in good hands with the Fosha family so we never worried about anything except that he might not come back. Now we are making plans to take our grandsons to the ranch and our now college son plans to join us as their "guide". If you have kids this is where you need to be as there is nothing about DWR that they and you as parents will not enjoy. Cabins, food, activities,staff service, scenery and the riding are just simply the best!

Room Tip: families will enjoy a separate cabin most..get one on Drowsy Water Creek and sleep like a rock
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank sphgordo
DrowsyWater, Owner at Drowsy Water Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2012

Thanks for the great review! We are assuming it is coming from the Gordon family since we noticed Tequesta, FL in your profile. We look forward to seeing your family and grandkids in the future (a new generation coming to the ranch!).

Also consider these accommodations in or near Granby
Gateway Inn
#4 of 14 in Winter Park
Hotel Eastin
Hotel Eastin
#1 of 3 in Kremmling

Been to Drowsy Water Ranch? Share your experiences!