“We just keep going back.”
Review of Drowsy Water Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Granby
Drowsy Water Ranch
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Granby
Reviewed June 27, 2011

We first visited Drowsy Water Ranch 14 years ago for a "once in a lifetime" vacation. Last week we went back for our 6th time. We have brought our 3 children there as young as 5 months and as old as 15 years, and many ages in between. We all have always had a great time. The Fosha family works very hard to run a good ranch and to make sure their guests have a good vacation. Riding is the focus, and the horses are always awesome. The setting is beautiful, the cabins are clean and cozy, the food is good, and the riding instruction helps even a novice feel competent after a few days. This is a great family vacation for people who enjoy outdoor activity and a simple, unplugged lifestyle. The hardest part is leaving, and we can't wait to go back next year.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank MeredithL

Reviewed June 27, 2011

Thank you Fosha family and the staff of DWR. We had a great time!!!!!! The kids 2 ,4, & 5 enjoyed every minute on the ranch thanks to the staff. And, the adults were able to enjoy themselves,--- again, thanks to the staff of DWR for taking excellent care of the little ones.. The food was delicious, the horseback rides beautiful, the wranglers were knowledgeable and very friendly, the entertainment funny and very enjoyable. We enjoyed the pool, hot tub, volleyball, horseshoes, ping pong, hayride---Well, we enjoyed everything about Drowsy Water Ranch. Thank you again Fosha family & staff. WE'LL BE BACK!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Lodge nice & quiet, cabins more room
1  Thank maladybug
Reviewed June 19, 2011

Not what we expected when we pulled into the ranch, but by day 2 we were on our way to a very memorable vacation. It was like stepping back in time and seeing how people can enjoy life and nature in it's true sense. No need for tv and fried food. Just good company and great home cooked meals. Couldn't asked for better service and a friendlier group of people! The riding was the best. We had a great time.

3  Thank twofromshawano
Reviewed June 10, 2011

We stayed the first week of the summer season with the family including a 6 and 7 year old. It is a ranch with a fantastic mixture of adult time and family time. My husband had never been around horses and only ridden a handful of times. He was a little skeptical of going on a "dude ranch" for a week. Wow, was he wrong. He had an absolute blast and is talking about returning. We laughed, rode, went rafting in the very cold river, and slopped through the mud. The best part (for me) was no computer or cell phone....what a break
The kids had a wonderful time with the horses, counselors, kitchen staff, and wranglers. They all went out of their way to give a little extra whether it was a special cookie for night snack, another look at the kittens, or the endless game of tag. My daughter told me she wants to go play with her "grown-up kids" some more. They kept the kids entertained when we were riding but were very respectable when we wanted to be together as a family. The wranglers were wonderful and the horses are very well cared for. The kids got to ride by themselves with the wranglers entertaining them with games and stories or ride with the family-tailored to your riding level. No boring follow the leader trail rides if you do not want. There are other activities as well including diiners out on the mountain, breakfast ride, hayrides etc.
The vacation is for people that WANT to be outdoors, interact with horses, and enjoy the basics of colorado. Food was fresh, homemade ranch food. The setting is beautiful. My son has been crying on/off for 3 days missing his horse Serenade.
We would like to thank the staff and Fosha family again for a wonderful experience. Especially all the little things.

2  Thank gdtravel
Reviewed June 1, 2011

The Fosha family provides a wonderful family vacation. The kids' programs are fantastic and age-appropriate: the teenagers go out riding, long and hard, every day. The older kids go out riding, playing trail games along the way. The little kids feed the ducks, play in the sandbox, finger paint, and of course have their turn being led around on a horse. My kids (ages 3, 9, 12) adore the ranch and can't wait to return. It's the highlight of every summer.

For adults, there are all manner of trail rides--from half-day walking-only "scenic" rides to fast-paced cross-country all-day excursions. Whatever suits your mood and your skills. Or there are plenty of other options for adults--hiking (those trails are NOT just for horses!), mountain biking (bring your own bike, or you could probably rent one in Winter Park, not far away), running, sitting out on the lawn under the trees with a book.

The staff are very accommodating, and do their best to see that you have a super vacation. We have been going to the ranch every summer for 7 years, and we have never encountered a staff member who wasn't personable, genuinely interested in our vacation, and excited about life in general. The Foshas do a wonderful job selecting their staff.

In the evenings, there are daily events in the TeePee building. The DWR literature claims that these events are fun for all ages--and believe it or not, they actually are! There are certainly some that are more kid-oriented, like the carnival night--but I have seen more than one older couple come in and sit on a couch and just watch all the kids having fun. The square dancing and the hay rides are good times for everyone, and the staff are excellent dance partners...don't be shy!

We highly recommend Drowsy Water Ranch.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank fjeldara
Reviewed March 16, 2011

I've been going to Drowsy Water Ranch as a guest since 1984. I've probably been there 20 times over the years. I have never had a bad time. I keep returning because of the wonderful times they show me each summer. I think people who choose a dude ranch vacation are often of like minds. They generally like the out-of-doors, physical activity, and horses and animals. It's very easy to make friends at DWR. I have wonderful friends all over the US whom I've met at the Ranch. During my weeks at DWR, I have often shared time with doctors, lawyers, and Indian chiefs who can afford the world's most expensive resorts. But, they choose to return to DWR year after year... as do I.

The ranch owners and staff treat you like family... actually, probably better. They make you feel right at home as soon as you meet them. They accomodate your needs, whether you want something different for a meal or want to change horses or your saddle is hurting your backside. They offer down home hospitality at a genuine Western ranch.

Whether I've stayed in a creekside cabin or a lodge room, the accomodations have always been cozy. They are clean and comfortable. One sleeps well at night under warm blankets after an active day. And, the mountain water coming out of the faucets is cold, clean, and pure.

The meals are delicious and generous with homemade breads and desserts. A friend's son has often caught me a fresh trout from the Ranch pond that the kitchen staff then prepares for my breakfast. That is very special teatment. And, the breakfast trail ride on a crisp mountain morning is always memorable. You won't believe the size of the fry pan for the outdoor, mountain cooked scrambled eggs!

I am a horse owner and competed for many years in Eventing. I know what a good horse is and have never had a bad ride at the Ranch. They have over 100 head and can match horse with rider abilities. The exciting gallops that I've had at DWR rival my cross-country jumping days. But, if you want to only walk and take pictures, a wrangler will do just that with you.

The children's programs are outstanding. Parents can go riding, hiking, or sit on the porch and read knowing that their kids are safe, supervised, and entertained with planned activities. Or, parents can join the kids on their rides.

If you want a genuine Western ranch experience, this is the place to try. At DWR, I've ridden handy horses over mountains, pushing cattle to fresh pastures. I've done team penning. I've mended fence... by choice. I've even helped castrate a calf!! I've sung songs beside evening campfires. I've hiked miles n miles amidst cold, clear mountain streams, thousands of wild flowers, and mountain critters... including a moose! I've seen so many spectacular mountain sunrises and sunsets. I've had horse winnies awaken me in the early morning hours.

I wasn't born a cowgirl. But, at DWR, I can be one... if only for a few days at a time. Life is good at the Ranch!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
10  Thank HowdyfromEL
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Recently we heard Drowsy Water Ranch, our favorite family vacation out of many many trips, received a distinguished traveler award from this website. I can't believe we haven't used Tripadvisor before for our family ventures and plan to start searching out all our ideas here first. Thus we visited Tripadvisor and read many of the great reviews on our favorite Colorado spot. While almost all the reviews were in line with our family's views of the fantastic vacation provided at the Fosha's ranch we were appalled and frankly mad by the most recent review of such an unhappy guest. Having been to Drowsy Water Ranch with our family three times in the past five years we have met close to 150 other people from around the world who all seemed to have a fantastic vacation just like us.

A ranch vacation at Drowsy Water Ranch is like a romantic escape out west to the land of horses, mountains, an active or relaxing vacation depending on what you want, worry free vacationing and most of all a terrific place for our kids to enjoy amongst a fantastic host family and staff! The staff and Fosha family are ultimately what make the vacation personable and exciting.

We continue to tell our friends and even people we meet at random about the fantastic ranch called Drowsy Water. If you are looking for the Ritz Carlton (which we have stayed at before and enjoy for its own reasons) amenities and spa the ranch might not be for you but if you are looking for some of the best service, hospitality, hearty yet tasteful meals, kids programs and a wonderful experience the Drowsy Water is for you.

We also recommend visiting Colorado even 1-3 days in addition to the ranch to visit Rocky Mountain National Park on the way to the ranch to see snow piled high and Pikes Peak (south of Denver). The weather was great the entire Vacation but if you do head up Pikes Peak remember to bring your coat! (we learned that the hard way) These were some of the other fun family spots and sights of Colorado we have found.

Hope you visit such a fun place out west like we enjoy!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank TravelDown
Also consider these accommodations in or near Granby
Gateway Inn
#4 of 14 in Winter Park
Hotel Eastin
Hotel Eastin
#1 of 3 in Kremmling

Been to Drowsy Water Ranch? Share your experiences!