“Absolutely Amazing!”
Review of C Lazy U Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granby
C Lazy U Ranch
Ranked #1 of 4 Granby B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I was privileged to be part of the bridal party for my friends wedding. From the moment we arrived on the ranch, the service was excellent. The staff instantly made me feel welcome and relaxed. The food was incredible, the rooms were clean and cozy and the activities were so much fun. The horseback rides were great and so scenic. I would especially like to thank Jackie, Shelby (aka Sheila), Paige, Matt, Dale, Tammy and Mackenzie for being so attentive, patient and kind with all of my countless requests. I absolutely recommend C Lazy U Ranch for any wedding, special event or an amazing vacation. Thank you all so much for making this weekend beyond memorable. See you soon!

Becky S.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
C_Lazy_U_Ranch, General Manager at C Lazy U Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Becky S.,

Thank you for your feedback; we were more than happy to assist with your requests, and very much enjoyed having your group at the Ranch. I will be sure to personally share you compliments with Jackie, Shelby, Paige, Matt, Dale, Tammy and Mackenzie. We hope you'll return and stay with us again.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I write a lot of reviews, and a 3 star location can be a 4 star experience, and a 5 star can be a 2 star experience. This is a 5 star location with a 6 star experience. I will try to give tips that I think are helpful, but overall, WOW. The images of Colorado by horseback, and I mean riding hard across the range, and I mean I am NOT an equestrian, well maybe I am now, but holy cow, this one is just hard to describe the beauty and excitement.

We went to Estes for a couple of days and drove over Trail Ridge Road to Granby. I am a little queasy over mountains, but a pretty drive. Granby is nothing with poor choice in restaurants. We should have waited and caught lunch at the ranch, which they will offer day one if you arrive around noon -1:00, though your room may not be ready yet, ours was.
Driving up, you are met by one of the property managers and welcome staff who quickly get you to your cabin, offer you food, check on your scheduled activities and answer questions. Take advantage of asking questions, because there isn't a lot of details on how the place works like a cruise ship newsletter. You sign up, you show up, and you have a great time. I am more Type A and would rather have a bit more information. Such as, they don't give you keys to the room unless you ask, no one does, and nothing was taken. What about tipping? They add 20% to your bill at the end (I think...) and give you wooden nickels to hand to special staff who earn redeemable gift certificates, though I had to ask. But you quickly acclimate to the low key, low stress beauty of the place.

There are no TVs, cell phone service is spotty, but no concerns with internet in the room. All of these were a blessing. I had to let my work know my main source of communication was e mail, changed my message on my phone that I was out of range in the mountains and contact me by e mail which I would check, and then I forgot about the day to day since no one could reach me anyway. I heard Verizon folks had ok connection. We were on ATT and Sprint, very little luck with reception.

Our room at Sunset C was furthest back, but that means a full block away from the action, which was fine. I would prefer a little closer, as you find yourself going back to your room to change a lot, River looked nice, but our room was new, clean and well equipped. Front room had a REAL fireplace (love wood burning with plenty of logs) a King Bed, small table with 3 chairs and 2 chairs by the fireplace. Full bathroom, regular tub. Back room had 2 bunk beds, one a double and one a single, meaning 4 kids could sleep there, but nice to have a double size for the teens. They too had a bathroom with a shower. Mattresses and sheets 5 star quality, very comfy. Outside, a rocking chair and other chair to read or relax, nice. Sleeping with the windows open is a treat, and totally quiet until about 6 am when the cowboys and girls start to move the horses and get ready for their guests. The room was hot when we had a fire, well duh, but sometimes harder to cool down. We had nice weather for August, may not normally be a problem most of the year. We had ice always in the bucket provided for us, a small frig, a kuerig coffee maker (need more regular, less decaf options) and granola. We kept some snacks in the room for kids which I recommend. Also, you are welcome to bring your own drinks and store at your cabin. This can save a couple of bucks. If anything, we liked to play games as a family at night, and the 3 person table was inconvenient, but a very nice room.

They park your car about 3 blocks away for you, so be sure to get everything out. You have access if you need it, just a tip. Keeps the cars out of site which is nice.

Pool is clean and relaxing with a bar 5 feet away. Hot tub very nice, never crowded. The concierge will e mail you for requests about a week early, make sure you use this service. Paige was terrific. We were able to get boots on loan which we all loved for the week. Not pretty but comfy, and they will run out so you want to reserve these early if you can or bring your own. They don't want you with tennis shoes on the horses and for good reason, you will RIDE and need the heels of the boots. We also signed up for our rides, archery and ropes course, which did fill up, so glad we signed up.

I cant imagine riding twice per day, walking after our morning ride took a bit of effort and we all had bruises and were sore. don't get me wrong, thats because we rode hard, and we loved it, and when you only do something once a year, of course you will be sore. But I would recommend the ride in the morning when the weather is most likely to be cooperative (rains in Colorado frequently in afternoon) and activities in afternoon. If you do have to switch it up, likely not a big deal. They assign a horse based on your level and do their best to keep you on that horse during your stay. We were there a week after all kids activities shut down but it was fine and they still offered kids rides. We liked staying together as a family and our 9 year old was great on her horse keeping up through all the trotting and loping.

The food, oh my! Breakfast is a buffet or you can order of the menu, but the buffet was easy and plentiful. Those blackberries are delicious! Cowboy Coffee by the fire in the early morning is worth the trek to the lodge for a cup, the ambiance is special. Lunch by the pool was my favorite meal because the selections of salads, desserts and main course were varied and bountiful. Awesome. The cocktail hour and appetizers are no big deal, a small bar and all the alcohol will add up on your bill, but quaint. The dinners are family style, which normally isnt our preference, but we found you wanted to talk to people about your day and we ended up getting to know about 3 families pretty well. I understand why people come back year after year and start choosing the same week to catch up with new friends. It is just that pleasant. Dinners are an event and not to ever be missed. Always a delicious, innovative salad, bread (do Not go carbless this week), fish, meat, veggies, potatoes and dessert. The evening programs were on the weak side, but we were on an off week as previously mentioned with a corporate group there. So instead, we went back to the cabin, played games with our kids, because there is NO TV, which we loved, and we were all exhausted and went to bed by 11.

The rides are spectacular. We loved the Yellow Brick road but we also loved going to reservoir. Lakes, mountains, woods, animals, places for long lopes and mountain vistas. I can just picture it now a week later, and I want to go back. And that is the key, you WANT to go back. There are a few special places where it calls your name to return, and that is the C Lazy U. I KNOW we will return, and my family will want to bring their children some day, because we all agreed this was one of the best of the best we have ever experienced.

I am happy to answer questions if I can.

Room Tip: They are all good, dont worry
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank wysfam

Dear wysfam,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful and informative review of C Lazy U. I'm so pleased that the Ranch left such an impression on your family, and that you took full advantage of all it has to offer while here. We really enjoyed having you, and are very much looking forward to welcoming you and your family back for years to come.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We chose the C Lazy U Ranch for our wedding venue, partly because of the magnificent view from the “Woodsie Overlook,” where we held our open-air ceremony, and partly because we were impressed during our scouting expedition with the friendliness and dedication of the staff. We rented the entire ranch privately for the wedding weekend, which included the services of wedding extraordinaire, Jackie, who made everything absolutely beautiful (from flowers to place settings and other decor). The staff were genuinely cheerful and gracious and always willing to help out with last minute emergencies (a plastic flower for the bride’s hairdo, an extra sturdy chair for Dad, etc). As a result, all the wedding functions passed off without a hitch. The cabins were comfortable and featured wood fireplaces (the wood is pre-chopped). The food was excellent. Guests enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and informality of the place, their ability to mix wedding functions with leisure activities (e.g., in the evening many guests remained welded to the edge of the hot tub), and the most unexpected of the guests could be enticed to the archery range or onto a horse. We highly recommend this terrific ranch for weddings, or just for a fun week of riding and relaxing. We'll continue to go back as often as often as we can, and we'll always have C Lazy U to thank for making our wedding fun, comfortable, and truly special.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicole S
C_Lazy_U_Ranch, General Manager at C Lazy U Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Nicole,

First, congratulations on your marriage! We were truly honored to be a part of your celebration – thank you for trusting C Lazy U with your special day. We are pleased that your friends and family enjoyed the Ranch's accommodations, cuisine and range of activities, and elated to hear that the weekend was flawless. We look forward to your return visits for years to come.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Amazing place. Great accommodations and fabulous food. Great counselors for the kids and wranglers for the horseback rides. Horsemanship clinics in the afternoon - roping lessons with Tyler. And a great vibe celebrated through branding by the fire, the cocktail party at the owner's residence, the carnival, the western show and a terrific talent show put on by the staff and kids.

Room Tip: Decide if you want to sleep near the festivities or further away
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear jckurtz,

Thank you for your kind feedback. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed so many of the activities offered here, as well as the dining and accommodations. Most importantly, however, I'm pleased you enjoyed the people at C Lazy U, who help make the ranch such a special place. We hope to have you and your family back again!

Reviewed July 11, 2013

C Lazy U Ranch is a beautiful dude ranch located in Northern Colorado. Our family was there for a 4-day stay. We loved the range of activities available, the beautiful setting, the interesting and considerate other guests and the magnificent staff/service. The food is outstanding. The daily run of their more than 100 horses from the barn to pasture is quite extraordinary and fun for the whole family. The trail rides are beautiful and the scenery is magnificent. We enjoyed breakfast at Woodsie, a campsite a short walk from the main quarters. This is a wonderful place to go for the entire family.

Room Tip: We stayed in Sunset and we enjoyed being close (easy walking distance) to the main dining lodge and...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
C_Lazy_U_Ranch, General Manager at C Lazy U Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear Cookie2008_04,

Thank you for your kind review of the Ranch. We enjoyed having your family with us this summer. We’re happy you enjoyed so much of what the Ranch has to offer – from the setting, the activities, and the dining, to the Ranch “family” – our amazing staff and guests. I’m happy you also enjoyed the “jingle” (the horses’ daily run to pasture and back) as well. It’s a favorite amongst our guests. We hope to have you and your family back again soon.

David Craig,

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This May, Jan and I made it back to the C Lazy U for the second year in a row! The accommodations were beyond comfortable with a great Western motif. The fireplace cozy after a day on the trail in a foot of fresh snow. Wildlife was abundant and the scenery breathtaking. We stopped and watched a huge herd of elk cross the ridge above us, shortly after we observed an eagle soaring effortlessly in the deep blue sky. It doesn't get any better than that.
The staff is friendly, helpful and catered to our every need. The meals were over the top! Breakfast, after cowboy coffee brewed in the front fire pit, followed by watching the herd of horses driven in from the open pasture. A beautiful morning ride and then a tasty lunch with friends and other guests.Dinner was exquisite. Prime rib,salmon, fresh vegetables, garlic mashed potatoes, memorable arugula salad and a carefully offered wine selection presented by a knowledgeable sommalier. The fresh baked deserts topped off the experience. We then adjourned to the great room with after dinner drinks, to listen to an accomplished cowboy guitarist play....all in front of a warm inviting fire in the fireplace. Jan did not want to return home and we felt like we were a world away from Denver ( 1 1/2 hr drive away). We will be back next year and every year thereafter. Hopefully, we can arrange to bring our entire family back in the near future.
Many thanks to David Craig and his marvelous staff for the total experience.
Mark and Jan G

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
C_Lazy_U_Ranch, General Manager at C Lazy U Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Mark & Jan,

Thank you so much for joining us at the Ranch once again this year – we were so happy to have you both back. We are quite proud of the efforts of our Food & Beverage team and are excited that we've made a favorable impression on your visit. I'll be sure to share your feedback with our team. We look forward to your return visit, hopefully with your family in tow!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I am a twenty time repeat guest at the C Lazy U. I love the place. I strongly recommend it. I feel like a family member or an ancient wrangler out there. I have great loyalty and still prefer C L U to other ranches I have visited.
However on this trip I observed and reported a slight dulling of the stars' points that management has already promised me they will address. I am principally addressing a few detailed concerns, that appear to me, have slipped a bit from prior years. I am making direct and, what may appear as pedantic, comparisons against my visits over the last few years.
Service levels in the Dining and Bar areas have slipped. i.e.
1. In the main lounge and bar, drink orders used to be gathered and delivered by wait staff during the brief 30 minute cocktail hour. This year we were required to queue up at the small but wonderful bar where two or less, under experienced bartenders, struggled to produce drinks under pressure the intense pressure of saddle sore guests.
One customer who I heard order a dry vodka martini on the rocks was served vodka with sweet yellow vermouth and ice in a stem cocktail glass. The reason given was there was no dry Vermouth---But what about the stem glass?
2. At breakfast there were plenty of servers but they didn't seem trained to spot newly seated guest nor automatically request whether coffee was desired.
3. In the old days, during family style dinners, staff handled, and served from, hot dishes . Currently, seated guests pass hot serving dishes to one another.
4. During lunch wonderful meals are served from a buffet. Then guest take them to picnic table or round table groupings to eat.
In the past, after the main lunch courses, staff would come to each table to offer a choice of one or two deserts and coffee. This led to continued and uninterrupted conversations which is what a lot of the Ranch is about--conversations. That practice has ceased. Now the guests are required to fetch their own desserts and coffee causing a lot of disruption especially at the picnic tables.
5. Finally a comment on the food. The main meals have been some of the best ever. I heard this comment from many of my repeat friends. However, in my opinion the desserts are now simple and inferior. Sometimes just cookies at lunch.
6. A very subtle nicety of the CLU is the absence of media and noise--its not a sports bar. However, there has always been a daily Wall Street Journal and/or NYT in the main lounge--a quite place for reading. This year the daily newspaper amenity was absent. The first papers were placed in the lounge on Tuesday and had not been replaced by Saturday. I thought perhaps papers were not available locally so I went to nearby Granby easily found one.

I know many of employees and even the owners at the C L U. I think it is a great place and plan on returning. However my recommendation is, if you want to be the best of the best perhaps it is better to charge a bit more than to reduce costs and service levels.

I have already discussed my observations to the GM and one of the owners. Both were highly responsive. Especially the owner, who personally had to wait for a cocktail for his guests at one busy cocktail hour.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Jim,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to report on the quality of your recent experience at the C Lazy U Ranch. It is caring and sincere feedback like yours that allows us to improve such that dedicated guests like you continue returning for over 20 years.

I’m glad we had a chance to speak prior to your departure and I'd like to share some other comments relevant to our recent discussion:

• We’ve enlarged the bar entrance and added a great handcrafted barn-style door to improve traffic flow. We’ve invested in training and augmented our bartender and cocktail service staffing.
• I personally visit breakfast service each morning and while we do experience high volume from time to time, our team has become quite adept at getting tables prepared for new guests quite quickly.
• Due to the volume of food brought to tables we’ve found guests are receptive to passing the vegetable and starch dishes family-style while our servers continue to serve the main protein course by hand. As always, second and third helpings are always welcome and available.
• We have indeed invited guests to help themselves to desserts after lunch and this is because we now offer between 4 and 6 selections every day. We have had wonderful comments on our pastry chef and I’ve found that people have been particularly impressed with his ability to make gluten free desserts that they’ve been unable to enjoy before.
• I am unaware of newspapers not being placed everyday. I know that we receive them daily and will ensure they are placed prominently for our guests.

We are blessed with caring, passionate ranch owners who believe in continually reinvesting in the ranch. Our goal is to provide the quintessential western American experience defined by exceptional value and characterized by service that exceeds expectation and is delivered by sincere and compassionate service professionals. I am glad you remain a fan of the ranch and appreciate the opportunity you’ve provided for us to “Sharpen the Five Star Points”.

David Craig

Also consider these accommodations in or near Granby
Gateway Inn
#6 of 8 in Granby
Kicking Horse Lodges
Kicking Horse Lodges
#9 of 9 in Granby

Been to C Lazy U Ranch? Share your experiences!