“The Positive and The Negative... very different than website portrays”
Review of C Lazy U Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granby
C Lazy U Ranch
Ranked #1 of 4 Granby B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“The Positive and The Negative... very different than website portrays”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I was very excited to spend my 50th birthday at this ranch... we have been to several ranches or adventure vacations where families mingle and we meet new people. I eagerly booked months early. Today I reread both the website and the reviews to see that the webiste has been revised somewhat and the negative reviews are accurate.

On the positive side... the accomodations are great (newly remodeled... heated floors in bathroom), the food is very good, service in dining room is fantastic, ranch is very clean, good housekeeping and horses are well cared for. Spa is wonderful.. best massage ever! The area and views are incredible; swimming pool area is very nice with hot tub and waterfall.

On the negative side ( similar to other comments) here was our experience...
- The ranch caters to return families - there is definately a very country club clique environment. The few "new families" that we interacted with all felt the same and now I see posted on the website wording " new families should understand how we do things."
- Communication of ranch events was not well managed - the "new families" did not know dinner times and ride logistics on several days.
- The website indicates that there is plenty of time for "families" to gather after dinner but the reality is there is a return guest social/ bar atmosphere that begins during and after dinner and goes later into the night. It was a very different family experience than I expected. If that is what you enjoy; it would be perfect; it was different than I enjoy or expected.

- I was at the ranch for my birthday and was asked 4 times what kind of cake I wanted. This was on booking, on deposit, on check-in and again mid-week. The ranch brought out a cake for a return guest the night before and had the entire adult dining room sing to him. On my birthday there was no mention of a cake and one never appeared. I was also told on check-in that arrangements were made for me to eat with my kids on my birthday (as a family) which also never occured.
- The ranch emphasizes the teen program on the website but teens that are 16/17 (Juniors and Seniors in HS) are grouped with 13 year olds (6th and 7th graders). When my two teens 16.5 years old did not want to attend a camp out in a tent with 13 yearolds I was intilaly told that they had to go to it to get dinner and they could come back in a van about 10pm. When I pushed the ranch agreed to serve us dinner in a card room below the dining room - but made it clear that "teens are not allowed in the dining room." One family successfully got their 17 moved to the adult program mid week. Most families with older teens were the "new families" and we wanted to have the teens join us for dinner.
- There is only 1 family ride and the rest of the week teens ride in teen groups - my 16.5 year olds were in a group of 13 yearolds a few times which was not enjoyable for them. The activities were for young teens and so almost every night the few older teens were in the card room watching a movie or TV.
- The "older" teen program does not appear to be well thought out... an all day ride was the only option one day. Some teens did not want that and there was nothing else. When we requested a group ride (parents and teens who chose not to do the all day ride) it took several conversations to get the barn to arrange it and we felt like we were inconviencing the ranch.

Unfortunately this was not the experience I expected. It is such a nice and beautiful facility but was a disappointment versus what we expected.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
18 Thank Jennifer616
C_Lazy_U_Ranch, General Manager at C Lazy U Ranch, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Jennifer,

We are sorry to hear that you had a less than perfect stay with us- while we make every effort to communicate the nature of our kids’/teens’ program prior to booking, both verbally, and electronically, through the sending of the daily activity schedule via email, some folks still misunderstand some key points.

When we realize that this is the case with one of our guests on ranch, we do make every effort to accommodate the family. In regards to your stay, multiple special requests were accommodated throughout the week. These included private horseback rides, moving kids around in the kids program out of their age group, private family dinners, alternate activities for teens and we even honored your stay to qualify for our loyalty program as if you were a return guest even through this was your first stay.

The C Lazy U takes into consideration upwards of 80 guests (family’s) each week and we try to put together a program that will work for the largest majority. Unfortunately the day to day schedule does not work for every family. We recognize that and therefore we are sorry it doesn’t.

In that regard, we apologize that the aforementioned accommodations weren’t enough to allow you to leave 100% satisfied, but we were thrilled that you expressed an interest in not only rebooking for next summer but in also brining another family with you, upon your departure- we would love another opportunity to wow you, as so many others have been wowed.

Lastly, we were happy to see that you were pleased with your accommodations, the meals themselves and the service, your spa services, our housekeeping, and the horses etc.

Thank you for your review, Jennifer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 12, 2012

To our new friends at the C Lazy U,
At our company (top 300 of 'Fortune 500'), we work very hard and focus intently on our Customers to insure their experience is a favorable one. We try to anticipate every need they may have on our way to delivering superior customer service. Well, just when I thought we had it figured out….your Team has set the bar even higher!! We want to recognize you for the exceptional ‘Customer Experience’ you provided for our Team. From the moment that I connected with Brady in May when sourcing the group reservation to moment I left, I always felt like I was being taken very good care of. Your accommodations, your setting, your food and (most importantly) your Staff made for an extraordinary visit for our group to the C Lazy U.
We want to extend a very big THANK YOU to each of you and your extended staff. We would hihgly recommend this for a business group, a family, a couple or a lone ranger. C Lazy U is an extraordinary place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mike P
Kirkland, Washington, United States
Reviewed May 20, 2012

70 of my closest co-workers and I just spent a few days at the C Lazy U, and I have to say, this was the most fun I've had in a while.
I was naturally nervous about how the trip would work out- Due to the size of our group, many of us had to 'bunk' (separate beds but in the same room) with other co-workers- not something that is naturally comfortable, but in the end it wasn't an issue at all.
First of all, the scenery is nothing short of amazing. The ranch is nestled in a high rocky mountain valley, so rolling hills, mountains, streams, rivers and lakes are all around you. The cabins are tucked away into the hillside and offer nice privacy. The facility is very well maintained and has nice updates in the 'plush cowboy' style.
The staff was incredible. It was evident how hard they worked every day to make our stay the best possible, and they were always kind and personable.
The food was also very good. It was served family style when we were eating in the formal dining area or buffet style for lunches pool side or up at 'Woodsie'. Our group had many different food allergies, and the menu was planned to accomodate everyones needs- and it still tasted great!
Activities at the ranch were anything from trap shooting, fly fishing lessons, horseback riding, doing a zip line or a ropes course, to just sitting by the pool with a book and having a cocktail.
I would definitely be the first to recommend the C Lazy U to any corporate group wanting a way to build a team. The way that the activities helped foster new friendships and coversations were priceless to us. It was also great to take all of us who work in the tech industry out of our element for a few days.
Thanks so much C Lazy U! We hope to be back next year!

Room Tip: Crest West and East cabins would be great for a larger family, or two familys that are vacationing t...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jatheen M
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 4, 2012

My husband's "Group Ten" meeting this year was at this lovely spot approximately 2 and-a-half hours from Denver International Airport. Our cabin was very cozy, clean, and comfortable. We LOVED having a wood burning fireplace in our room, but it took getting used to having no TV, no phone line, and especially, no room key! Nobody had one. (Our group members were the only guests visiting at the time, so I wasn't concerned, plus, cell phone reception was good.) There's quite a few activities to choose from, plus, a spa, which I didn't have time for, unfortunately. Staff were incredibly helpful and friendly at all times. If you want to get away from it all and enjoy fresh mountain air and beautiful surroundings, this would be the perfect place for you! Just make sure to bring warm clothes and a flashlight. (Leave the flip-flops at home!)

Room Tip: The "Evergreen" cabins where we stayed are up a hill that you really have to watch your st...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank runaway_with_me
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed January 19, 2012

My 9 year old daughter and I traveled to the C Lazy U for a 4 day trip last July and loved it so much that we stayed for another week.. The staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are comfortable and convenient, and the food is amazing. The main selling point for us was the horse riding. We are not experienced riders, but the staff found horses that were suitable and fun for us so that we could enjoy the gorgeous trails. We also enjoyed the evening activities very much - they are fun for kids and adults and have the feeling of a summer camp evening with fire light, songs and skits for the kids.
The only part we didn;t enjoy was that there was a large group there and we did feel a bit like we were crashing their private party. This could easily be managed by scheduling around large groups.
I would (and have) recommended the C Lazy U to friends. It is a great place to get away.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Julia M
Sacramento, California
Reviewed December 13, 2011

I've tried to give myself some distance between writing this review and my stay three months ago because I didn't want to come off as a negative ranting reviewer. However, I have to say that this was one of the most miserable vacation spots I have visited. Know what you want when you choose a dude ranch vacation.

We thought that this would be a "family" vacation. I have to agree with the other negative review that this is a country club. We liked the idea of childcare occasionally, but we didn't know that children seem more like a nuisance at this resort. We weren't able to take a family ride except one on Friday. This was a HUGE disappointment for me as I wanted to share this experience with my six and eight year old. And contrary to what another reviewer said, when we tried to ask for additional family rides, they were not accomodating and said that they "weren't set up for that." In the afternoons, children were asked to take cabin time and "rest." They really just didn't want the kids "disturbing" the adults at the pool. So, if I wanted to spend the afternoon in the pool with the kids, I wasn't permitted to do so.

On top of this, the counselors that "watch" the children, were apathetic and uncaring. I saw counselors texting and fiddling around on their phones when they were supposed to be watching my children. I wasn't very comfortable leaving my kids in their care. I'd be especially cautious if you have children under 8.

As far as the country club aspect, many guests knew each other, and my husband and I felt a little left out. One night my husband walked down (we were skipping the cocktail hour) to inquire about dinner, and we found out that dinner wasn't being served on site that night. Since we skipped cocktail hour, we missed the shuttle to dinner. We hadn't been informed that dinner was going to be offsite that night. (we only thought the drinks were offsite) Another way we just felt left out.

To conclude, if you are looking for a vacation away from the kids, then maybe this is the place for you. But if that is the case, why take a family vacation? At least the beds were comfortable. That is the most postiive thing I can say about this place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
41 Thank jenjram
C_Lazy_U_Ranch, General Manager at C Lazy U Ranch, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Hi Jen,

We are so sorry to hear that your experience at the C Lazy U Ranch was anything less than ideal. Our Children’s Program is often one of our guests’ favorite aspects of vacationing at C Lazy U, as it affords kids the opportunity to experience adventures with other kids their age, and parents the opportunity to relax, knowing that their children are happily occupied. Should you want to take your children out of the program at any time, our policy is to happily accommodate your wishes, and guests are always welcome to schedule a special family excursion with the help of our staff. We’re sorry to hear that you didn’t experience this.

We take the wellbeing of all of the children vacationing at the Ranch very seriously; our Children’s Program is even led by a team member who has a degree in childhood development. It is always our number one priority to ensure the happiness – and safety – of each and every child.

Again, we’re so sorry to hear that you had such an atypical experience at C Lazy U.

All best,

Connie Dorsey
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Excellent staff. Excellent activities. Excellent food. I highly recommend it for a rocky mountain get-away.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Shawn W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Granby
Gateway Inn
Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa
The Canyon Motel
The Canyon Motel
#1 of 3 in Hot Sulphur Springs

Been to C Lazy U Ranch? Share your experiences!