“Great Experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Golden
Houston
“Great Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2008

My husband and I were on a vacation in Denver and we stayed at this hotel to be close to Red Rocks. We had only planned to stay at this hotel for one night, but enjoyed it so much we came back for another night.

The room itself was very clean, no noticeable smells (as noted in a previous review). We really liked having a microwave and refrigerator in the room. The bed was incredibly comfortable and very similar to our own. The decor looked fairly new, no outdated floral prints here!

The hotel is within driving distance to a new shopping area. (It's a 5-10 minute drive) We easily found a SuperTarget and lots of restaurants.

We paid an average of $100/night at this hotel. We thought this was a reasonable price for what was offered. We'll definitely stay again the next time we visit!

• Liked — Beds were very comfortable
  • Disliked — No continental breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
SAN DIEGO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2008

After checking in, the clerk let me know that they serve breakfast on Wednesday morning. (I found out that was coffee and Donuts in the lobby when I showed up.)

I changed rooms 2 times within 5 minutes of checking in. The first room had a smell that I could not even describe. Maybe mold. The second room was so smoky I had to get out of there immediately. So I settled for the third room. Since my partner had the bedroom, I had the sofa sleeper in the living room. I opened the sleeper up and just about threw up. The mattress had no mattress pad, stains and dirt on the mattress and springs popping through. The sheets are in the closet so I am glad I could see what the mattress looked like. I grabbed the mattress and threw it out in the hallway and called the desk. I was told that the Maintenance Dept would be in the next day to replace it. I told them that was not Acceptable. So they brought me up another mattress. again no mattress pad. A little cleaner but a few springs sticking up. I was so tired I could not move again. I did go down to the desk and load up on blankets and bedspreads to use as padding on the mattress so I could cover the springs coming up through the mattress. There were springs missing from the foot of the bed which holds the bed together so the foot of the bed sagged and I had to put the coffee table under the foot just to keep the bed together. Whew!!

(positive)TV nice, lots of free movies to rent dvd and vhs(good), kitchen well supplied, internet connection convenient.

Make sure you get enough towels. Had to go down a few times and exchange them.

I don't know if I will stay there again.

• Liked — movies
  • Disliked — bed, smell, smoking allowed
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Ihearttotravel2007
Home
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2007

Candlewood was very nice, inviting entry way, and friendly staff at the front desk. This is a newer establishment, the decor is updated and very clean. We have a 7-month old baby, so the kitchenette was a must, it was nice to have a dishwasher and stove top to take care of necessary baby chores. We particularly enjoyed the on-site (free!) laundry area, all you need is your own soap. The room was really spacious, large enough for our daughter to crawl around, and the bathroom was also good sized, it was clean, simple. One thing we noticed was you don't hear much noise when inside the room, so many times you can hear the neighbors or hall noise and it was very quiet while we were there. The only sort of bad comment I have is, we had an issue with the toilet not functioning properly, and we contacted the front desk, there was only one person on duty so he couldn't take care of it at that time, and we had to leave to go to a wedding, upon returning at 10:00 p.m or so, the front desk attendant told us that we would have to wait until 11:00 before he could leave to go get something to fix the toilet, we'll that wasn't going to work, a toilet is pretty much a necessity and they offered to give us another room (at 10:45 p.m.), we had to take it since we needed a functioning toilet, my husband wasn't too thrilled about moving our stuff that late at night, but at least the hotel tried to accommodate the situation, that I appreciate. Also, they don't have king beds, only queens. This was a nice place for the price ($52 a night on Hotwire) and it really served it's purpose for our family. I would stay here again.

• Liked — kitchenette, laundry
  • Disliked — bathroom malfunction
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2007

We stayed at the Candlewood Suites in Lakewood and it was very nice! Super comfy beds, big, plush towels, everything we needed was there! The young man overseeing operations was very personable and helpful with directions. We would definately stay at this location again!

• Liked — The bed!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2006

We just spent a Friday night here. The room is about 200' ft. Slightly larger than a normal hotel room of this type. As you entered the room, there's a sink, microwave (with a bag of popcorn), and fridge. I guess you can move in! :)

Font desk had free movies for your player in the room.
They have an honor food room that contains the washer/dryers.

7-11 across the street.
No computers available.

Comfy bed. Nice bathroom. Cheery room. Just off Route 6, about 15-20 minutes west of downtown Denver.

I'd go back.

• Liked — spaciousness
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dhammer53
Washington DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2006

This review is targeting individuals who are travelling to Golden/Lakewood area to visit the government facilities. If you have a rental car, this is quite a decent hotel. To respond to the other post, my room did not smell of cigarettes at all - actually it was quite spacious with a full kitchen (dishwasher, full sized frig, and stove). And I love the free internet !!!

However - if you do not have a rental car - I would not recommend this hotel as it is isolated and not pedestrian friendly. There is a Sheraton and other hotels down the street that are closer to the federal facilities and surrounded by a multitude of restaurant dining options in much prettier surroundings.

Candlewood has a Seven-11 and liquor store.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank PollyPP
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2005

I've never stayed somewhere so terrible that I've been prompted to write an online review, but people need to be warned about The Candlewood Suites in Lakewood, Colorado.

The entire hotel--even non-smoking rooms--stinks like an ashtray. I can not stress how terrible the odor was. The beds smell especially bad, and at first I thought it was just the sheets, so I requested new linens and changed them, but as I was putting on the fitted sheet (that's right--I changed the sheets because housekeeping only comes once a week) I realized the smell was not coming from the linens, but from the matress itself--and the couch--and the chair--and the carpet--and then I found the real problem, the smell was coming from the fan which blew smoky air constantly into our room (you can not turn it off). We smelled so badly by the time we checked out, we packed our clothes in garbage bags so the car wouldn't smell, and washed them as soon as we got home. They smelled like we had slept in a bar. The place looks nice from the outside, but even a smoker would hate the smell in this hotel. Don't stay, no matter how cheap the rate is. It's not worth it.

• Stayed December 2005