“Don't do it! Read this first”

Denver Marriott West
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Golden
Reviewed August 16, 2006

We stayed on Aug 12th, 2006. I booked it online myself for an overnight stay on Saturday evening. When we arrived, they informed me I booked the wrong hotel. Then they told me they spelled my name wrong and that's why they couldn't find the reservation.

That night, I discovered there must have been about 20-30 teenagers(14-17 yo) staying on our floor. All night they were slamming doors, running down the hall and making LOTS of noise. When I called the front desk, I was told they didn't know who was in charge of all those kids and they were to short staffed to do anything about it. The kids finally settled down sometime around 12:30 AM.

The following morning, I checked out over the phone. As we left, I discovered I left my keys in the room. I was told by the maid I needed to go to the front desk, understandable. I wend downstairs and explained I had just checked out and locked my keys in the room. While getting my drivers license out of the wallet, I found the second key to the room. I told the lady I would just use this key to get back in.

I went back to the room on the 3rd floor and the key didn't work. Of course, I thought, I had checked out but the front desk lady failed to mention the key became inactivated.

I again when back downstairs where she made me another key.
Again, I went back to the room and found the key didn't work. By now, I was not a happy camper.

Again, I went downstairs while my children waited in the front lobby. The manager said she would personally walk me up to the room and asked the lady to make me another key. As the manager watched, she mentioned the front desk clerk made the key wrong and showed her how to do it.

As we walked upstairs the manager asked how everything else was and I explained we didn't get much sleep due to all the kids going wild. She apologized. When we got to the room I tried the key and again it didn't work. The manager said I took it out to quickly and she did it for me. Finally, it worked.

The manager headed downstairs as I retrieved my key. I followed in the next elevator.

As my children and I walked to the car, my daughter announced that the manager came back down and was laughing to all the other clerks about me.

Obviously, I was not happy about having to go to the front desk 4 times but to then be ridiculed in front of my children was the final straw.

I will NEVER stay in another marriott if this is how they treat their customers. It was a nightmare from beginning to end.

Evidently, Marriott has cut back on their customer service budget.

I recommend you find another hotel and save yourself the headache. There is a very nice La Quinta that is very close and know how to treat their guests.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank LeadvilleTraveler

Reviewed May 29, 2006

We stayed at the Marriott Denver West for a friend's wedding; we were there for 3 nights over Memorial Day weekend.

We had a special wedding rate of $79 per night, which was a GREAT bargain for this hotel. The location is great -- it's easy to find off I-70, and the Colorado Mills mall is just across the highway. It's right near the mountains, with some great views off to the west.

The hotel is a bit older -- it was probably built in the 1970s, before hotels were constructed with gigantic rooms and oversized bathrooms. The room was a bit small, as was the bathroom, but it had just about every amenity one could wish for in a $79 room. Actually, the size of the room was the only way you could tell this hotel's age.

The service here was excellent as well. From check-in to check-out, everyone was smiling and friendly. Room service was good, quick, friendly, and reasonably priced (!) Our friend's reception was at this hotel, and the service and space was wonderful.

Overall, this hotel is an excellent place to stay. Most other places would probably charge you $150 per night on Memorial Day weekend and not offer near the service that the Marriott Denver West offered. We were thoroughly impressed.

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank DallasGlobeTrotter
Reviewed April 21, 2006

Just stayed there last week. Rooms are nice and the beds are very comfortable. However the a/c had a issue where one night it was fine and the next it didn't work to well. Windows can be opened so it's not that much of a problem. Work out area is nice and the hotel is located right across the street from a mini mall so there are plenty of places to eat. Very easy to find from the airport.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed October 28, 2005

What a great location...at the foothills to the Rocky Mountains. unfortunately, it goes down from there. The lobby is ok, nothing to write home about. The business center is poorly maintained with the printer out of order when I was there. And since this is a "4-star" hotel, internet access will cost you $.

The room is spacious and tastefully decorated. If you like rock hard beds, you will love the ones at this hotel. Fortunately they provide a lot of soft pillows.

The bathroom is small. The shower has a rain-type shower head. Great if you like that type of shower. If you're looking for a forceful shower, look elsewhere. There is no tissue paper in the bathroom. Most 4-star hotels have tissue paper recessed into the cabinets. Must be an oversight during construction. There is also no toilet paper holder. Another oversight? I found half a roll sitting on top of the toilet tank. What was the designer thinking?!?

At least they attached a bottle cap opener on the shower wall. Just what I need in the bathroom....

• Stayed: October 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 7, 2005

Stayed here for two nights in July before embarking on a tour of the mid-west. Located just off the highway this is a very nice chain hotel with spotlessly clean rooms and excellent landscaping. Pool is a nice bonus and the staff were great both on reception and in the restaurant. Would stay again if in the area. Excellent value.

Stayed: July 2005
1  Thank mummabear
Cincinnati
Reviewed August 24, 2005

The staff could not have been more rude. They told me they were out of non-smoking rooms in spite of my guaranteed reservation. My request to change my room was treated as if I was being a nuisance. Two requests to speak to the manager resulted in not even a call back. Just plain terrible service. And the rooms were small, old, and not well maintained.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
Sioux City, IA
Reviewed August 23, 2005

We got a great rate on this hotel and it was well worth it! It had an indoor and outdoor pool which was very nice. The room was very nice and clean. It was very convenient to many restaurants and shops and only about 10 minutes from downtown Denver. We would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed: August 2005