“Nice Hotel”

Denver Marriott West
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Golden
Reviewed January 1, 2008

The hotel was very nice. The bed was really comfortable. The bathroom was a little small but it was clean. It had a nice pool and whirlpool and the excercise room was really nice. They had quite a few machines to work out on. Not just the typical 3 or 4 machines that most hotels have.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Denver Marriott West

Reviewed November 16, 2007

I travel a lot for business. The clients pay and I fly.

When I arrived at the front desk the young man asked me for my CC, I asked "for incidentals only correct", he agreed and then proceeded to charge almost 2K to my card. Luckily, I always use a card with little money in it and it didn't go though. Long story short, it took 5 phone calls to finally get the front desk to tell my client that the room was not already paid for. I looked like a fool to my client insisting that the person they spoke with was wrong 4 times. That is until someone who paid attention to their job got on the phone. It was solved quickly then.

The internet service was horrible, bad page load times, and even as i write this review from the bed in this hotel, i do it from my cell phone as a modem because the internet is just that bad. i call the front desk and of course "no problems sir".

twice the maid didn't leave coffee, cream, or sweetener (but never all on the same day).

on the good side:

restaurant was clean and decent food, not to terribly overpriced. The staff was nice, a bit young and untrained, but very nice.

The pool was amazing and the work out area nice also :) so aside from the lack of trained staff, a nice stay.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2007

I found the Denver Marriott West to be outdated and underwhelming. The staff is the highlight of this hotel - they are courteous and quick to assist in any way. The hotel itself needs a makeover. The bathroom is probably the tiniest I have seen in a hotel and the room itself was somewhat small. The bed was very comfortable, as it is in almost every Marriott. The room could have been cleaned to a finer detail but was adequate. The largest complaints would be the noise from the hallway and the internet service fee. I have reached the point in corporate travel that I do not expect to have to pay a $10+ fee for daily internet service that only worked about half the time. I also found a few bugs in the room, one of which greeted me on the pillow next to me. I have never been to Denver and do not know if bugs are commonplace, but I did not expect to find them in my hotel room on the fifth floor.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed October 28, 2007

We stayed three nights at this hotel. The hotel was very clean, quiet, and well-maintained. The room was a bit small by American standards, but this did not detract from the stay. The Jamison bed proved to be very comfortable. The pool/hot tub were very clean, and the exercise facility also looked to be very clean. Overall, this facility did not disappoint, and we will returning during our next trip to Denver.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 44Heavy
Reviewed October 24, 2007

I recently spent 3 days at the Marriott Denver West on a business trip, and found the stay to slightly less than my expectations of this level of hotel. A brief summary of what I liked and disliked:

Liked:
- The rooms on the first floor, like mine, have a walkout porch, which had two chairs per room. It overlooked a grassy area in the back, and was by the pool. A nice touch.
- My room was quiet, considering the hotel is near the freeway. It seemed to be well insulated from sounds from the windows and hallway.
- The health club was well equipped, and I appreciated the basket of fruits that were provided.
- In the lobby there is an internet terminal and printer, which can be used to update flight reservations and check-in for the flight and print out boarding passes. However, I am not sure if it is free.

Disliked:
- The room condition was below standard. The bathroom tile and fittings seemed very dated – both in age and style. Some of the fittings were loose. The curtains were threadbare, and some carpet patches were worn. The bed headboard was scratched up. This was, of course, the state of my room only, and may not be the case for all rooms.
- High-speed internet connections in the room, which were wired, not wireless, was an extra $10 per day. For a hotel to cater to business guests in particular, one would expect complimentary internet access, but even if there is a charge, $10/day seemed high to me. Also, wireless access would be appreciated.
- Small sundry items could be purchased from the gift shop in the lobby, which is convenient, but even standard toiletries were for sale. While most hotels will provide things like toothpaste and pain medication, we had to purchase these from the shop.
- The restaurants at the hotel were limited and expensive. There is only one restaurant open for breakfast, and another one that is only open for lunch and dinner, so there are no options. Also the restaurant seemed expensive to me: $25+ for an standard entrée; $7 for a house side salad.

There are reasons to recommend this hotel, but there are areas that need improvement, which makes for a mixed bag overall.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed July 29, 2007

I stayed here for three nights on business travel. Check in was quick. Room was rather small and showing signs of wear, but was clean, quiet, and comfortable, and air conditioning was nice and quiet too. Fitness room was above average, with selection of cardio and weight machines, plus a rack of free weights. Never had to wait for elevators. Cafe was typical for this type of hotel -- a little pricey, with unremarkable food and service. There are several eating establishments within 1/2 to 1 mile. There are several internet kiosks scattered around, for which you have to pay, but you can use the one computer in the business center for no charge, provided a particular guest is not hogging it. For those who like to hike, there is a trail up to Table Mountain about 100 yds up the road. I don't know if hotel staff know about it; I found it on my own. Also, the hotel grounds and nearby business park have enough area to provide a person with a 20-30 minute walk, for breaks during business meetings.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed July 20, 2007

Even though we had made advance reservations, upon check in, we were given the "last room" for the night. The clerk duly noted that we were using our Marriott Rewards and said, "Obvisouly your not paying for the room." Thank God we didn't have to pay for it . We had asked about an upgrade to the concierge level, but that was not possible. The front desk rep said he would code our keys so that they would work on the concierge floor. We went to our room opened the door and was greeted with what smelled like a smoke filled saloon. Given that it was the "last room" and late at night, we didn't argue, but believe it would get better. We decided to take the long walk to the concierge floor only to find out the keys didn't work. We went back to the desk and were given new keys. After the long walk to the concierge floor again we found they didn't work either. We gave up and decided to try the next morning. Didn't work. We were told to knock on the door and that the staff person would help us. However the staff person didn't hear us,but thankfully a nice mother with her children got up to let us in. We have to say that after that embarrasing moment the Concierge lounge was somewhat nice experience. The staff person in the lounge was helpful and at the time the food seemed well prepared however I've been sick ever since? After staying at the Boulder Marriott last year I would never stay at Golden again. The staff was unfriendly, the room smelled of smoke and the bathroom was in serious need of an upgrade.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple