“Dirty, buggy room”

Mildenhall, United Kingdom
“Dirty, buggy room”
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Marriott Denver West
We bid online at one of the lodging auction services, and obtained a rate of $103 a night for a hotel room at the Denver West Marriott. The room was a bit tatty, with the following specific issues: a foot long stripe of liquid shoe blacking stained the carpet, numerous scrapes adorned the walls, two inch-long box elder bugs were creeping along the ceiling, numerous dark hairs clung tenaciously to the sink, a crusty half-dollar sized spot of indeterminate origin embellished the blanket covering the foot of the bed. We talked with management and were offered another room. Another gripe with this price point is that breakfast was in the $11 price range, and there was a similar daily fee, $12 or so, for Internet usage.

I used the coin-operated laundry facilities, located down on the first floor near the indoor pool and the gym, both of which looked to be large and well-equipped. Detergent was available for sale in the laundry area. We didn’t utilize the indoor or outdoor pools, though I thought the hours (8-11) were more liberal than many places we’ve stayed. I noticed a number of conference rooms on the lower level, as well. On the ground floor, the lobby area was tidy and nicely decorated with a number of significant sized, detailed hand-carved birds of prey, which we admired as we came into the hotel; each staff member we talked with was professional, kind and helpful. A small Starbucks shop and a lounge/dining establishment open off of the lobby. The elevators are some distance from the front desk, and may be inconvenient for those with mobility concerns.

The location was terrific for accessing the mountains, shopping, and even downtown Denver, since the hotel is located right off of I-70, and we did not have an appreciable amount of highway noise.

My family was comfortable, but disappointed with this hotel. We found better value and cleaner facilities at a lower star-rated hotel in the Denver-West area. We also felt we were nickle-and-dimed at the extra charges for services/meals that are often free at other hotels.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Started staying here regularly in the 80's. Always enjoyed staying here, but have not traveled to Denver in years. We stayed two nights this week and there are some signs of age that have not been addressed.
First the two sockets at the base of each of three lamps in the room where so loose that I could only use one socket to charge my computer and my Blackberry. So I would charge one then switch and charge the other. One socket out of six --not good for business travelers. Also, while I dislike being charged for Internet service, I was charged twice in a 24 hour period. I complained at checkout and they explained that although the web pages says how many days of internet service would you like to purchase, they define a day (with no explanation on the page) as 12 noon to 12 noon, not 24 hours. Old system...do you think? They did correct the bill, but they need to step up their game.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
MarriottWestMgmt, Manager at Denver Marriott West, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Thank you for your review of our hotel and I apologize that your stay with us showed opportunity for improvement. Despite our age, we do expect that our product be maintained at a high quality level. All of our public spaces have been renovated within the last 4 years and your feedback regarding the lamp sockets will be shared with our staff so that we can improve the experience for our guests. I sincerely hope that you have the opportunity to join us again!
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is the 5th time I have stayed at the Denver Marriott West. Everytime has been a wonderful stay with friendly staff, excellent accomodations. We happened to be there over the 4th of July and asked for a room with a view. The grounds have many trees which might block your view, but the staff was accomodating and we sat on the balcony of our 4th floor room and had a fantastic view of the fireworks all around Denver. The hotel is near shopping, great restaurants and although a bit of a drive to the airport, it was very easy to get there. This hotel is always my first choice.

Room Tip: Rooms facing west have excellent views of the mountains and foot hills!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
MarriottWestMgmt, Manager at Denver Marriott West, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
I am glad that you were able to enjoy local fireworks as well as views of the foothills during your visit! Thank you for being our guest and please join us again!
Aliso Viejo, CA
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel twice in the last two years and three things are consistent; the staff is VERY friendly and helpful, the room is clean and the hotel is quiet, even with it's proximity to the freeway. I would stay at this hotel anytime I'm in the Golden area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
MarriottWestMgmt, Manager at Denver Marriott West, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Thank you for being our guest each year! We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to serving you again!
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We stayed here our first night in Colorado. The hotel is convenient to I-70 and near shopping and restaurants. We stayed here to be near Red Rocks for a concert, it was a great location for that, easy to get back and forth.

We booked our room on Priceline for a much better rate than I could find on Marriott.com and it was not a prepaid rate either. For the price, 109 per night it was an excellent bargain. I thought I had booked a king room but they were sold out so we settled for a 2 bed room, not ideal, but doable for 1 night. Also our great rate included breakfast!

The room was fine. Not huge, not tiny. Bathroom was adequate, shower/tub combination. We had a view of the pool; we did not use the pool but it looked really nice. The included breakfast was the buffet option at the breakfast spot. It was a decent spread. We found the bed to be quite comfortable. More comfortable than our subsequent stay at a Ritz Carlton!

The hotel staff were helpful with getting into the downtown area of Golden and suggested a lunch spot that was just perfect. One great feature in the lobby was a big urn of ice water that was available at any time day or night

While this is not a luxury resort, I would certainly not hesitate to stay here again for a night or two if in the area again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank clkc86
Thank you for staying with us! We do have a great location near Red Rocks and I'm glad you were able to enjoy the concert with ease as well as a restful night in a comfortable bed. I hope that you will join us again when in the area!
Cartersville, Georgia
Reviewed August 24, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at the Marriott in Golden, very nice accomodations, room wasnt too big, but bed was very comfortable. Hotel was very helpful in recommending directions to local area attractions as well as local restaurants. Hotel has 2 pools, indoor and outdoor and a whirlpool that was quite nice after a day of sightseeing.
Overall a very good choice for seeing the sights around Denver, would def stay again!

Room Tip: Rooms toward the back of the hotel , not much view but quieter.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing our hotel! We do have a great location for sight seeing as well as a terrific staff to aid you in your daily excursions. It is a treat to know that you were able to relax at the pool and in our comfortable beds after a succesful day of sight seeing. Please join us again!
Milwaukee, wi
Reviewed August 19, 2011

While nothing inherently wrong with the Denver Marriott West, there is also nothing special about it. The rooms are basic and small. Minor issues with service that added up to bad experience, problems with internet connection, phone not working, room key didn't work - required maintenance call after being locked out twice, business rate included newspaper delivery, did not receive morning newspaper. None of the issues in themselves major but the cominbation became frustrating. Expensive restaurants, 2 beers and a salad = $32.00. $18 breakfast buffet very overpriced. For $11.00 (or so) you can chose continentel, cereal, bread selections, yogurt and a poor selection of fruit. I decided to get the full buffet for waffle. Only decent fruit selection for waffle was strawberries (no other berries). No signs indicating what some of the toppings were and I put sour cream on waffle which I thought was whipped cream. Waitress was rude, when another guest joined us, she questioned why I was asking for another glass of water. . .While a mall across the street with many restaurant choices, not sure if it's walkable distance, major 4 lane busy road to cross. Without a car, did not see another nearby restaurant to avoid the overpriced Marriott. They do have a small indoor store to buy coffee and snacks but it was closed mid afternoon the day I was looking for a light lunch/snack. The outdoor pool area is very nice, but not easily accessible from inside hotel. Through the basement and around the indoor pool (with very little walking room on a wet floor), once outdoors lots of seating area with couches, tables, chairs, lounges, shade and nice landscaping. A bar/drink service nearby would have been a nice feature. The area felt very isolated, not neglected but not convenient. Besides rude waitress, the rest of the staff all very friendly and personable. Housekeeping did a nice job keeping room cleaned and stocked.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
It is disappointing to hear that you received less than stellar service during your stay and I apologize. I do appreciate you taking the time to let us know the issues that you faced and will certainly address with our staff. Your feedback is important to us and I sincerely hope that you have the opportunity to join us again.