“School vist”

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“School vist”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Went with our daughters school to the shrine. Wasn't expecting much. Wasn't until I got there that I realize just how large the shrine wall. Impressive. Loads of steps, but worth the climb to stand at the base of the Shrine and take in the view. Don't miss the chapel near the base.

Visited September 2013

Shepherdsville, Kentucky, United States
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Unexpected Blessing/A place of peace”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

After we had toured the Coors Brewery in Golden, we saw a sign to the Mother Cabrini Shrine. We decided to go have a look. High on a hill, with Denver to the East is the Shrine to this humble Nun, who became a saint. I had never heard of Mother Cabrini. She was born in Italy, came to America, made her way to Denver and actually came to the spot of the shrine. About a hundred years ago, she bought this land for use as a summer camp for the orphan children in Denver. The whole place is very peaceful. The entire time spend here was a Blessing. You can spend an hour, or you can take a retreat here. It is beautiful. There is a nice little gift shop. I would love to come again.

Denver, Colorado
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Unique Lookout Mountain Shrine - West of Denver”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

As you travel west on I-70 you can spot a large statute of Jesus on a hill top. I encourage you to take the time to visit the Mother Cabrini Shrine. It is a serene and beautiful place. Mother Cabrini was an Italian nun who came to the US to visit Italian miners and their families in the Clear Creek, Argentine and South Park Mining Districts. She discovered this hillside property once owned by Golden, CO. In 1909-1910, she negotiated a good deal for the purchase of this property as a summer camp for orphans - Queen of Heaven Orphanage. The price was certainly right as it was believed that there was a limited supply of water on the land. One day in 1912, she instructed her fellow nuns to dig at a certain location and that they would find fresh water - they did! To this day, the spring has not stopped running. On the grounds, there is a beautiful chapel, a museum, several reflection gardens, a grotto with a small chapel, and 337 steps and the stations of the cross to climb to the statue of Jesus. The climb is certainly worth it as the views are incredible! It was such a beautiful serene place that even though my family is not Catholic, we felt a wonderful peace. So next time you drive along I-70 and head toward the mountains, make a stop at this shrine - you will be glad you did!

3 Thank Travelgnome
Denver, Colorado
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Beautiful Site”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We visited this after touring the Phoenix Silver Mine in Idaho Springs. I had seen the Jesus statue from the highway and had been curious for a while. This is a really lovely trip for believers. The steps looked really daunting but there are benches every 10 or so steps so you can rest on the way and I think most ambulatory folks who can do steps will be able to make it to the top. Additionally, there are so many wonderful vistas to enjoy and photograph on your way up the result is that you don't want to hurry. Finally, one can stop and meditate and pray at the stations of the cross on the way. Once you reach the top the statue is really beautiful as are the views. There is a lot of interesting history associated with this place as well. Those who wish my also collect holy water from the spring said to have been found by Mother Cabrini.

The road up is steep with about 4 or so hairpin turns before you get to the Shrine grounds. Unless you are comfortable on such roads I recommend visiting when there is less chance of snow or ice on the roads.

Washington
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Down Memory Lane”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I first came here as a little girl living in Denver, almost 50 years ago. I wanted to stop because it was a childhood memory of walking all those steps with my Busia and family. It still has "all those steps." Unfortunately, we came late in the afternoon and the museum and gift shop were closed. It was a beautiful view and I personally would have like to stay a bit longer and contemplate. Was with family that didn't share my expectations, so it was a very quick trip. Still, I was glad to have made the trip. They have kept the place up over the past 50 years, so that is good. I would go again, but probably be better on my own next visit if I get her again before I am too far gone. Don't live in the area.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Rupert11

Been to Mother Cabrini Shrine? Share your experiences!