“The loveliest start to our ski trip - Please DON'T LISTEN to the poor reviews!!!”
Review of Genesee Towne Cafe - CLOSED

Genesee Towne Cafe
Cuisines: German
London
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I'm completely dismayed by the bad reviews about this place. What a horrid, cynical bunch of people there are saying that the warm welcome was false.

Our first stop at the cafe was on the way from Denver airport to Breckenridge. We came in for breakfast and left with huge smiles. It was so lovely we made sure that we stopped again on our way home for lunch.
Hanna and Wolfgang Nitsche(yes, we knew them well by the end of our trip) gave us the warmest welcome to Colorado that we could have imagined. A lovely older couple from the Black Forest in Germany, Hanna greeted us whilst her husband cooked our breakfast. As a two grumpy young Londoners, my boyfriend and I were a little taken aback by the level of enthusiasm but it turned into the perfect introduction to the friendliness of the people we were to meet in Breck.

Both times we ate Wolfgang’s famous homemade Bratwurst sausage, firstly with our breakfast eggs and secondly with traditional sauerkraut, shredded potatoes and gravy. Both times it was delicious and good value. Hanna was quick to help when we needed anything and Wolfgang came out to see if we liked his food and to say hello.

On our second visit I asked if they served sweet tea (something I got a taste for in Breck), Hanna said unfortunately not but she’ll see what she could do. As I walked past the kitchen to the loo I saw her busily squeezing lemons, then when I came back to the table she had made a lovely, fresh version of my sweet tea. She was so keen to see if I liked her special creation and when I said I did she produced a huge jug and refilled my glass. In fact, she was so busy using the jugs for my making my drink that she had to serve my boyfriend’s coke from the coffee pot!

The first time we went we were the only customers there. The second time the cafe was filled with regulars and locals, including a large family, a young guy in overalls and a priest with his wife. All were met with hugs and enquiries about their lives. Hanna and Wolfgang actually know these people as friends and their cheer was infectious, by the end of our visits we knew everyone in there (as well as their family history, Christmas plans, life stories etc!)
I wont forget turning to my man as we left, saying ‘You can’t help but smile after being in there’ :)

I hope we’ll be back one day.

Kate and Jules, London, England

Good for:
A warm welcome.
Charm.
Home-cooked food.
Smiles.
Hugs.

Bad for:
A quiet, intimate meal (you will get talked to!)
Anyone who wants a good quality meal for a bad-quality Walmart price.

• Visited December 2011
2 Thank Kateswindsor

Englewood, Colorado
“Fun place but brutally expensive”
Reviewed December 28, 2011

This is a nice restaurant that could have been our usual stop on the way to the ski resorts (we live in Denver and go through that route several times a year). We ate here twice and both times we were absolutely blown away by how expensive it was... the thing really is that the owner is very nice and chatty and then you order the specials or something that she suggests without checking the price first (just so not to be cheap). But for a family of 2 parents and 3 children under 12 we had one bill at $85 and another $90. The food is good, just beware of asking the prices. Also, the owner was a little too much, every time we think about stopping again we don't because we want a little quiet...

• Visited July 2011
Silver Plume, Colorado
“Long Time Customer And Will Remain So”
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I was quite disturbed reading some of the reviews on this cozy German/American cafe. I've been a regular customer for 15 of the 24 years they have been open and have never received anything less than delicious food in a family like atmosphere. The prices are very resonable (especially for the area) and the owners are warm and friendly. If there are any discrepancies with your bills, wouldn't you have noticed this before you got to the parking lot? I truly hope you find the opportunity to visit. If you do, say hi, I'll be sitting right next to the fireplace.

• Visited September 2011
Westminster, Colorado
“Buyer beware! They will cheat you!!!”
Reviewed January 15, 2011

We stopped here for lunch and while the food was fairly good and the strudel delicious, the woman talked us up and way overcharged us. She is a snake in the grass and we realized after getting home how she had done this to distract us and charge us an exorbitant amount without our noticing because of her "charm." Watch out! I would never go back because I do not want to give my business to intentional cheaters.

• Visited September 2010
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Cozy German Cafe”
Reviewed July 9, 2010

What a treat. This gem tucked away in the Rockies is a true American gem. I stopped for lunch by myself and a had a homemade bratwurst and an ice tea. The total bill was $10. There are many "specials" that I would guess are seasonal. The owners seemed very geniune and very vested in their business. The cafe has been around for over 20 years. A great stop on your way into our out of the Rockies. It is the same exit as the amazing buffalo herd off of I-70 (Genesse Exit).