“Long Time Customer And Will Remain So”
Review of Genesee Towne Cafe - CLOSED

Genesee Towne Cafe
Cuisines: German
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I was quite disturbed reading some of the reviews on this cozy German/American cafe. I've been a regular customer for 15 of the 24 years they have been open and have never received anything less than delicious food in a family like atmosphere. The prices are very resonable (especially for the area) and the owners are warm and friendly. If there are any discrepancies with your bills, wouldn't you have noticed this before you got to the parking lot? I truly hope you find the opportunity to visit. If you do, say hi, I'll be sitting right next to the fireplace.

Reviewed January 15, 2011

We stopped here for lunch and while the food was fairly good and the strudel delicious, the woman talked us up and way overcharged us. She is a snake in the grass and we realized after getting home how she had done this to distract us and charge us an exorbitant amount without our noticing because of her "charm." Watch out! I would never go back because I do not want to give my business to intentional cheaters.

Reviewed July 9, 2010

What a treat. This gem tucked away in the Rockies is a true American gem. I stopped for lunch by myself and a had a homemade bratwurst and an ice tea. The total bill was $10. There are many "specials" that I would guess are seasonal. The owners seemed very geniune and very vested in their business. The cafe has been around for over 20 years. A great stop on your way into our out of the Rockies. It is the same exit as the amazing buffalo herd off of I-70 (Genesse Exit).

Reviewed March 31, 2010

I work up in Genesee and decided to try their lunch. I was told the $9.99 braut meal on the menu was on special...which I was able to finish in one sitting (I always have leftovers because i eat 8 small meals a day) and my ice tea came out to $15!!!!! She too chatted me up about where I was from and various other complimentary topics to, I feel, dissuade me from complaining about my bill. I decided to read other reviews before returning to ask about my over charge, and now that I know I am not alone in this experience, will be returning to question my outrageous lunch bill. I could have gotten a six ounce steak, cup of French Onion Soup & Blue Cheese Wedge salad at the Outback for $5 less and had two additional meals that week!

Reviewed July 27, 2008

We and the other two tables at this German-American restuarant left the premises very upset. We were the first to arrive at the empty restaurant, planning to have something to drink and a small bite to eat. We initially expected a nice little experience when the owner/hostess/waitress started chatting us up, asking where we were from. She did the same thing with the other couple and family who followed shortly afterward, and -- talking later out in the parking lot -- someone theorized this might be to ascertain that we were passing through, not necessarily repeat customers. Menu items ranged about $8 - 10. The menu was comprised mostly of sandwiches with only one German item (brats) that turned out to be unavailable. The hostess then recommended her goulash. So, we ordered a plate to share. Four drinks later, a bowl of soup, and goulash, we received a bill for over $50. We were aghast. The drinks were over $8 each, the goulash was $21. The other tables were questioning their bills too, since we were expecting the goulash to be in line with the menu prices. Her first excuse was that it was the special. Then she said it was because it was close to dinner, so the dinner price applied. (It was around 3 pm). She then said it was because the serving was generous. (So?). We didn't leave a tip because we figured it was more than covered by the tab. Ultimately, if she had mentioned the prices and communicated, we could have made our selections accordingly. Instead, we felt like we had been subjected to a bait and switch, and the food was mediocre at best.

1  Thank Chante_m