“Just another Mexican restaurant”

Tafolino's Fine Mexican Cuisine
Ranked #52 of 151 Restaurants in Golden
Cuisines: Mexican
Anchorage ak
“Just another Mexican restaurant”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Food was okay, but a bit pricey. The kid's chicken strips were $7.00 each. Service was painfully slow, even for a glass of water. My meal was cold. I doubt we'll go back.

• Visited February 2014

Fort Colins, CO
“Great Mexican food!”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Our family loves this place! It is one of out favorite restaurants to go to. The waitstaff always goes out of their way to provide good service. We love the green chili and poblano burrito. I would highly recommend tafolinos for a casual place to take the family.

• Visited December 2013
Golden, Colorado
“Good food, average service and atmosphere”
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

This family owned restaurant has tasty food at a good price. The service and atmosphere is average. The food is fresh with generous portions and the sauces are excellent. The margaritas are excellent, but the beers on tap are limited. I live nearby and it is nice to be able to walk to a decent restaurant.

Colorado
“Very Average Mexican Food”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Keep in mind that there are two locations for this restaurant. The one across the street to the south does take-out only. This place has been in its present location for years, and this venue is definitely sit down.

Inside, I liked this place. I liked the decorations, I liked the authentic music, and I liked the atmosphere - kind of a cross between a bar, and an old Mexican restaurant. The servers were friendly and polite, and, generally speaking, the restaurant was acceptably clean in the dining area.

When they brought us chips and salsa, I noticed that the chips appear to be homemade. Not a lot of places do that anymore. I also liked the flavor and level of heat of their salsa - suitable for most tastes. What I did not like about the chips and salsa is that the first one if free, but each subsequent order is $3.00. Also, half of the basket of chips were just crumbles, and broken pieces. The homemade fried chips did have a lot of grease in them, and I don't think this place changes the grease very often. Either that, or they are due.

When the meals came, I found them to be very standard - rice and beans come with most entrees and dinner plates. The rice was good, but I suspect it was not vegetarian. The beans were all refried despite the pictures of the food on their website showing "whole" beans. There were no whole beans to be had at this venue. I had the cheese and onion enchiladas, but if there were any onions in there, most were very successful either at hiding or making their escape. I believe I tasted only one or two small onion pieces in the whole mix.

Again, as with most restaurants these days, they need to do something besides telling us how good they are to set themselves apart. There are a lot of Mexican restaurants in town, and this one is not the best of those. It is very journeyman and pedestrian. That was OK years ago when there weren't as many dining establishments, but, in this day and age, you have to go a step further, or you fade away in the crowd. This place is trying to drum up new business, but it seems right now they are surviving on whatever loyal clientele they have. I have 'Living Social' discount coupon that I will use again in a couple of weeks, and report again if things change. I like to visit a restaurant at least twice before passing final judgment.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank ovolacto
Sun City West, Arizona
“Service sucks”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Food is good but the service is usually bad. We had not been here for awhile and went the other day for lunch. Food was out quick and was good but when we asked for a togo box we were snubbed by the waiter and never give one even when the table right next to us received theirs. The waiter then stood in front of the window staring out and never came back over to our table even when we motioned him over. He would turn and stare out the window. At one time he walked by our table texting on his phone.
We will not be back as this same service has happened to us before. At checkout the owner asked us how everything was, we told him And he says "Oh". Nough said!

• Visited September 2012