“Great outing with our Grandson”

Colorado Railroad Museum
Ranked #8 of 56 things to do in Golden
More attraction details
Owner description: Lose track of time year-round at our Depot Museum and 15-acre railyard featuring over 100 engines, cabooses and coaches, Garden and HO layouts, renowned library and roundhouse restoration facility with working turntable. Special events and train rides behind a vintage steam locomotive throughout the year. Train rides each Saturday. Visit our website for group rates, events and information.
Lafayette, Colorado, United States
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great outing with our Grandson”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I'm not sure who had more fun, my husband or Grandson! We enjoyed a couple hours at the museum. My husband and I would love to see more posted information about the individual trains. The number you can actually go on is limited. They Museum does have a sign posted stating they don't have the staff and funds to have all the trains open. It is mostly outside so I recommended going on a warm day and we intend to go back on a Saturday, when we can ride one of the trains. To get the most out of your experience check out the website so you;ll know when the outdoor model train as well as the train rides are.

Visited March 2014

Colorado Springs, Colorado
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Great place for train lovers!”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Took our Ohio parents here for a visit. It was a bit toasty during our visit so recommend you see the museum early in the day (although there are plenty of shady places both in and out). There are special times for the operation of the outdoor model railroad, so check out the website for times. You can probably get through all of the displays in 1-2 hours including the model trains inside.

Visited July 2013
Western Australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Don't bother when it's cold”
Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

We were there whist it was snowing. Paths weren't clear, no one else was dumb enough to be outside and there wasnt a clear system for us to follow. That notwithstanding, there is some magnificent hardware on site. Go when it's warm.

Visited February 2014
Littleton, Colorado
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Grandson and Grandma SO disappointed”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My grandson adores trains, so we went on a Tuesday when the model railroad was open from 1-4 P.M. We were the only ones there, but the model train guys acted as though we were an imposition. My grandson is only four and ADORES trains. One would expect that the men would be willing to chitchat with a child who is NOT always on a phone or iPod, but NOOO. My grandson said, "Excuse me" when he wanted to ask a question, but the men seemed very impatient, preferring to work on the trains that are not available to the public. I had to keep feeding quarters in two machines to run the train AND run the amusement park. Also, I had to lift my grandson so he could see the dusty, obsolete train layout. Can they ask ONE personable train guy to volunteer for those four hours per week? We finally went outside and the snow was melted, but only three trains were accessible. SHOVEL and use SNOW MELT if you're worried about someone slipping. I'm thankful that my grandson is too young to realize how much he DID NOT see or experience. This is my FIRST negative review on TripAdvisor! I wish I'd spent the $16 on a new train for his train set.

Visited January 2014
3 Thank Nancy G
Lakewood, Colorado
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Great Historical Museum”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Took my grandkids here - they loved it! Lots of trains on the grounds, although you could only go in about five of them. There is a phone app to listen to descriptions of various trains, but we didn't use that. Inside is a gift store, and downstairs is a miniature train display and souvenirs, uniforms, and photos of when trains actually ran. Well worth the trip!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank brutus6623

Been to Colorado Railroad Museum? Share your experiences!