“Nive room, lousy view”

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Golden
Lexington, Michigan
“Nive room, lousy view”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Hotel was helpful and allowed very early check in, but for $150 a night it seems that one would get a better view than a funeral home. Room was very clean, updated but the bath was very small. Sink, toilet and shower all behind one door, so when spouse was applying makeup and doing up hair had no access to anything else. Kind of old timey. Great location close to everything. Bed did seem ultra firm.

Room Tip: Ask for creek side.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed December 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Golden Hotel while attending a meeting for SHELTERBOX, a disaster relief project sponsored by Rotary. I was lucky enough to be free to enjoy Golden while my husband attended business meetings. I started my day with a great breakfast in the hotel dining room which looks out to the bubbling mountain stream and views of the surrounding mountains. The lobby had a roaring fire and was warmly decorated. I returned to my spacious room, worked out at the fitness center, and after getting some great advice from the concierge, I headed out down the street to explore all the cute shops and sample a restaurant all in walking distance. I returned to my room to take a nap in a huge comfortable bed and was revived and rested when my exhausted husband returned from the meeting. Needless to say, the Golden Hotel is on my list of wonderful places to stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Michele O
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We had a meeting in Colorado School of Mines and we wanted to stay very close to this. Hence, we booked 2 rooms for one night in this hotel first week of december. The hotel decor is more of artistic and contemprorary look. The hotel staff are excellent and willing to extra mile to make the stay comfortable. In fact next day after we had checked out they opened their borad room so that we can offer prayers. The room is of reasonable size with all the amenities including fridge and microwave. The only downside is that being a 3 star hotel it is bit pricey. Also, there are no fast food restaurant nearby.

Room Tip: Room View is not much of an issue
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Sekerdey
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

I attended a 4 day conference at the Golden last week and my wife accompanied me. The room was nice a nice size with a large desk/work area. There was also a wet bar and small fridge. The decor was up to date and relaxing. The bed was very comfortable with high quality linens.

We ordered room service and had the strip steak dinner and steakhouse burger. Both were good but I really recommend the steakhouse burger! Also try their house potato chips.

The hotel catered breakfast, lunch and snacks each day at our conference and the overall quality and variety was excellent. I especially liked the chef's green chili served with breakfast. It was mild but full of flavor. I think I saw a couple of awards in the lobby that he won in local chili competitions.

The lounge was a great place to hang out in the evenings. On Thursday night there was a live jazz combo which I really enjoyed.

The hotel is located in the heart of downtown Golden and overlooks a creek and park with a jogging trail. There are numerous restaurants and shops extending for several blocks and all within walking distance.

Every interaction that I had with the staff was impressive. Everyone was responsive and friendly and seemed glad to have us there.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank PRButterfield
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed at the Golden Hotel last week. The service was excellent and the room was perfect. A considerable amount of "attention to detail" is apparant everywhere. Thank you for a wonderful stay. Although i did not visit the restaurant, the menu looked delicious. I ran into a banquet server (wish I could remember her name) while searching where a coffee house may be. although she did not know, she made sure I got my information.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river have an excellent view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
thegoldenhotel, General Manager at The Golden Hotel, an Ascend Collection hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Golden Hotel. It was our pleasure to serve you during your stay and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Southwest Florida
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Most don't go to golden, other than take the Coors tour ( which is good!), but the golden hotel is a gem. Fresh baked cookies, fireplace and a welcome tote Dog guests greet you in the cheery lobby. Most rooms are large and wifi is fast and free. Immaculately clean rooms, well fitted. The workout space is small, but the equipment is first rate and in good condition. And, the town is lovely, full of charm. It was too cold to enjoy a drink outside, but clearly in the summer it must be lovely.
I found the breakfast at the hotel okay, but on 12 th street is the diner that is awesome.

All in all a great stay the raves are right on.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
thegoldenhotel, General Manager at The Golden Hotel, an Ascend Collection hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Golden Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future as you discover all there is to see and do in our beautiful, historic downtown.
Michigan
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The 5-day stay mid March 2012 at Golden Hotel was everything we could hope. Our large, very clean, comfortable room looked out onto Washington Blvd. We were there for the wedding of our son and his bride Elisabeth.

The wedding took place on the hotel's outside premises adjacent to Clear Creek where we enjoyed a view of the mountains as a backstage for the 6 pm outdoor wedding that unusually warm St. Patrick's evening.

Wedding reception was on 1st floor of hotel with a delicious dinner of ample portions. (We recommend the fish and rice!) Waitstaff were friendly & efficient.The wedding planner provided the warm ambience with dinner music and dancing music thereafter.

The bridal suite was huge and most exquisite. The 2nd floor looks out onto the 1st floor lobby where you found the fireplace, reading material, comfy seating, and public-use computer available 24 hrs. Exercise room on our floor was clean, clean, clean. Public bathroom on main floor clean, clean, clean.

Parking is easy to get to from 1st floor side door of hotel and also by elevator below. The restaurant on the 1st floor provided a great Sunday noon meal and scrumptious homemade desserts that evening.

Great small-town vacation spot in the foothills west of Denver, CO. Note: Concierge/doorman was most helpful. That goes for the lobby desk staff as well.

Room Tip: Our quiet corner room was on 4th or 5th floor overlooking Washington Blvd.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family