“Golden Diner Server Not So Friendly for Buffalo Bill Days”
Review of Golden Diner

Golden Diner
Ranked #13 of 152 Restaurants in Golden
Cuisines: American
Description: I tried this a few days ago but see no evidence yet that you found it. Trying again.
Reviewed September 7, 2013

[Please note: After this review initially ran on Yelp and on my blog, Lexy's Rockin' Restaurant Reviews, in July 2013, the owner contacted my parents and me and told us to never come back. Seriously, he did...so much for small town hospitality. NO apologies, just a don't come back. All of my reviews will now be posted on Trip Advisor and Yelp.]

Hola, muchachos! So, a couple hours ago, my family and I went to the Buffalo Bill Days parade in Golden, CO. Very Kid-friendly! After the parade, we decided to go to the Golden Diner for lunch. Big mistake, as this restaurant experience really ruined our whole afternoon. (Our server was THAT bad -- and we've had other service experiences here that were very rude and that ruined our mornings. In hindsight, we should have known better than to go back.)

We were glad that there was an open table big enough for our group. We used to eat here once a month or so, but we had one bad experience after another - both bad service and bad food - so we stopped going. Today's bad experience all started with our server who was someone who I had never seen working there before. She just wasn’t kind. And my mom and I even saw her make mad, grumpy faces about my Dad (who was totally nice to her) when she walked away.

So, here’s what happened. We walked in, it was incredibly hot in the restaurant, and someone said you’ll have to put your name on a list – although no one had a list, no one took our name, and no one came back. The large table we usually like to sit at was just being cleared, so we asked the busser if we could sit at that table. He said, “I guess so,” so we sat down. The server came and brought menus and took our drink order. She was grumpy from the first time she came to our table. She brought our drinks, and then we never saw her again for 10 minutes. We still hadn’t ordered. Finally, we ordered, and my Dad ordered a cup of green chili (he loves Mike’s green chili), which he does every single time we go there. The server brought him a small condiment-size ramekin of green chili! And NO SPOON! So, 10 minutes later, when she was refilling coffee at a nearby table, my Dad got her attention and asked if the ramikin was the new size for a “cup” of chili. He also said he had no spoon. She snapped at him and said, “You ordered a SIDE of chili. That’s a SIDE.” Well, that’s just not true that he asked for a “side.” He actually asked for a CUP of green chili — we all heard it — to be brought out right away – before the food came. He always does this. She was immediately argumentative, and went and got a spoon and shuffled away without a word. So, we figured no CUP of green chili was coming, but we weren’t sure. My dad just pushed it aside and didn’t even eat it. After that, this server was just about as sour as she could have been. She basically avoided us. We were in the restaurant for 40 minutes beiore our food came. She never checked back on us except when she brought our check. She said, “Was everything okay?” as she slid the check on the table away from my Dad, and walked away. No refills on drinks – not even our water – and we were really thirsty after sitting out in the sun at the parade. We might have ordered a sweet treat to end the meal, since it’s one of our most special days of the summer, but she never gave us a chance because she just walked away.

My mom was happy to see that the lunch menu had salads on it now, so she ordered a chef salad, and I’d say she was pretty much horrified when the salad came and the dressing was in a package. [She actually said she's lived her whole life trying to ensure that she never has to eat anywhere where dressing comes in a bag! LOL!] She also was picking brown, spoiled lettuce out of her salad. The other food problem was that the usually good house-cut french fries had not been seasoned or salted – at all. Not good!

I ordered the fish and chips – the fish was breaded and really good. Again, I didn’t eat the fries because there was no seasoning on them. None of the fries at our table were seasoned. My brothers ordered ham and cheese omelets covered in green chili, and they were very happy with their food. My grandmother said her BLT was fine, but the fries were especially greasy – and, you guessed it! No seasoning!

The bottom line is that the totally rude and self-centered server completely ruined this restaurant experience. We were completely uncomfortable the whole time because this server got so distant with us over her own issues. And, no one at our table was even the slightest bit rude to her.

My Dad talks about a “circle of service” when we eat out. I’m not exactly sure what this means, but I think it means that a restaurant should care that I’m there, and that I come back. We will never go back.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Went to the GD with my 4 year old son 2 days in a row. Wanted to try the Skillet on the second day, a Wednesday, but it was not open and no sign explaining why. At the GD, I tried the BAMJO on day 1 and the omelette was mediocre (poor quality bacon) and the hash browns were limp and looked and tasted like they were a few days old. Probably made from frozen potatoes. Tried to order my son a Belgian waffle, but they could not make it (waffle maker broken?), so he had a decent pancake. Day 2 my son got his waffle, it was decent but not any better than the do-it-yourself hotel lobby quality. I went with the pancakes as I could not order anything with hash browns again. Coffee is mediocre and service is less than attentive. One day my waitress was not refilling my coffee, while another one was only refilling her customers cups. Although she probably knew my cup was empty, I had to ask her after a few passes by my table and she reluctantly filled my cup. Second trip, my waitress seemed to have left the building so I had to go up and ask another for the check. I was expecting an old diner with character, but this is a modern building with a sterile atmosphere. If this is the best breakfast in the county, then I feel sorry for the residents of the county.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Great Breakfast spot!!! voted #1 in Golden. Close to Coors Brewery too. Good spot to hit before the Brewery opens @ 10. Also the only breakfast place we could find that opened before 10.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Decent food at decent prices along Golden's old main street commercial strip. Lots of sandwiches with Western flair available and typical American comfort food. Nothing special but good nonetheless

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We wanted a nice break fast before leaving Golden. We came to the right place. The Huevos were delicious served hot and fresh. My wife had the blueberry pancakes...superb.

Been to Golden Diner? Share your experiences!