“Mostly great, but with one fatal flaw...”

Quality Inn & Suites On The River
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
Reviewed March 19, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Quality Suites March 4-11 2006. We vacationed with friends who like to ski at Aspen but prefer to stay in Glenwood Springs because of the famous Hot Springs Pool and the small-town charm. We booked a 2-person whirlpool suite at the "Internet Rate" of $125.99 + tax for 7 nights.

The check-in process was smooth and efficient. There was only one clerk on duty, and although our wait time was approximately 90 seconds, she apologized for the inconvenience. We were given our keys, directions to the room, and information on breakfast. We admired the fountain in the lobby, glanced in at the heated pool and spa, and proceeded on to Room 104.

I was thrilled to discover that we truly did have a sort of "suite". There was a separate sitting area with a work desk for my husband's lap top, then the large main room with the huge whirlpool tub that really was big enough for two. The bed was also a great surprise; it was a monstrous 4-poster sleigh with a chocolate suede headboard. Very romantic. We also appreciated the fireplace, large tv (positioned to be seen from the bed or the tub), friggie, and microwave.

Someone (not sure if it was the hotel or a promotional group) had left a welcome pack on the bed; it contained a granola bar, apple cider mix, several samples of cough and cold remedies, lotion, Advil, KY Touch Massage, and an assortment of coupons. It was a neat little bonus, and certain items like the cold remedies and Advil were particularly helpful after a long day of skiing.

Breakfast at this hotel was particularly great. They had the standard items like cereal and bagels, but we were happy to find more exclusive fare like Otis Spunkmeyer muffins, do-it-yourself waffles, fruit, and hardboiled eggs. The staff also was very helpful, providing directions on several occasions. Our room was kept very clean and the hi-speed internet access was more reliable than we have had in 4 and 5 star hotels.

Now you may be wondering why, if I have such wonderful things to say, I only gave this hotel 2 out of 5 stars. The answer is simple: The noise problem was ridiculous.

Other posters have commented about the train; I can honestly say that we never heard a train. We did, however, hear screaming babies, barking dogs, pounding feet at all hours of the night, and every word of every conversation in the room next to us, from people passing in the hall, and from those outside our window. I don't know if it was the entire hotel or just our room, but it was horrible. Knowing that the problem was just an absolute lack of soundproofing (and poor planning not to have the rooms set back off the front sidewalk), we didn't feel that much could be done to help us. We did inquire about moving, thinking we could at least get a room on the back side of the hotel and avoid the noise from the sidewalk, but we were told that while they would be happy to move us to a different room, all the spa rooms were completely booked and we weren't willing to give up the tub.

I think it's a shame that the hotel has this problem, as everything else about it was great. But the noise issue and lack of privacy due to the paper-thin walls will keep me from recommending this hotel to anyone else and from staying there again myself.

• Stayed: March 2006
17  Thank Veg1

Reviewed October 22, 2005

We have previously stayed at another chain hotel in Glenwood, and were very satisfied. But as I searched for a place this time, I found the Quality Inn with generally good feedback. We switched, and found the Quality Inn to be newer, nicer, and better, for $25 less a night. The staff was helpful, the waffle breakfast fun and delicious, and the hot tub and pool quite convenient. We had food packed, and took advantage of the in room microwave to make dinner that night. We then walked across the parking lot to Dairy Queen for dessert. My wife kids me about being a bargain shopper, but even she admitted this was a great value. The negative in one of the reviews about the trains early in the morning was not an issue. There is a low pitched rumble if you listen for it, but you have to listen for it to hear it.

9  Thank martiannie
Reviewed October 13, 2005

My wife and I spent one night here and found everything very nice. The lobby is large, with a second floor balcony overlooking the lobby and two large chandeliers.

Our room was large and laid out like a mini-suite, with a microwave, refrigerator and wet bar. The desk clerk who checked us in was very pleasant and helpful with directions and information about the area. Our room was nicely furnished and decorated. Quality of beds is very important to us and our king size bed, which appeared to be new, had the latest style "plush" mattress, which made it very comfortable. Our pillows also were very good.

The hotel has a very nice indoor pool and jacuzzi, making the hotel good for families with children. Just outside the pool area is a wooden deck overlooking the Colorado River, furnished with chairs and tables.

The breakfast area is small with only 5 tables. Breakfast was only average except for two waffle irons to make fresh waffles and a delicious topping of strawberries and whipped cream.

Our room was on the back side of the second floor with a very nice view overlooking the Colorado River. The railroad runs on the far side of the river, and although we could hear the trains early in the evening, the noise was not loud and we had no problem sleeping through the night. For light sleepers, we suggest asking if rooms on the front side of the hotel might be more quiet.

Road construction at Exit 114 has taken away the traffic lights used for direction to the hotel. It is located on the South side of I-70, set back from the road, next to the Conoco gas station.

Overall, the hotel is very nice and we definitely would stay here again.

6  Thank like2travel1
Reviewed October 9, 2005

The room was wonderful, very clean, plenty of room. The shower was great - lots of pressure. My one complaint is a pretty big one. The beautiful river view comes with train tracks on the other side. Well into the night and starting at 6:00AM, trains go by, ruining the otherwise relaxing atmosphere. If you are a light sleeper, stay away from this hotel.

4  Thank Love2TravelEverywhere
Reviewed August 17, 2005

This was a clean hotel with large rooms. Our kids loved their own nook with bunk beds and tv. My husband and I had a king size bed, tv, chairs and lots of room in our part of the room. We also had a refrigerator. I was impressed with the clean bathrooms. The staff was curtious and had good suggestions for dinner. In fact I had never seen desk clerk work so hard. She did laundry, stock pool towels and manned the desk. She seemed to do it all. The pool and hot tub were adequate but the pool area was so hot that we had to keep going outside to cool off. At least there was a deck behind the hotel that looks over the Colorado river. The river is beautiful and a nice bonus.

The breakfast was a nice surprise. Besides the standard breakfast fare, there are 2 waffle makers and premeasured waffle mix. We loved the hot breakfast and the whole family fixed a waffle.

There is construciton at the exit ramp from I-70 but there were no back-ups.

I didn't give a 5 star because there were places where the wallpaper in the hall was worn and there were no towels at the pool until we told the desk clerk.

• Stayed: August 2005
3  Thank Happy_Traveller0523
Reviewed May 8, 2005

We've stayed a couple of places in Glenwood before we discovered Quality Inn & Suites. Won't stay anywhere else now! Great service... wonderful breakfast... beautiful rooms. What more can you ask for??? AND high speed internet is down in the lobby for use too... it's great! Quiet location, but yet handy to get anywhere. Check it out... you won't be disastified!!!! I give it 3 thumbs up!

• Stayed: October 2004
9  Thank deanejc
Reviewed January 10, 2005

There are so many great things about this hotel and this place gets right what so many others get wrong.
Continental Breakfast is outstanding. Delicious muffins and bagels. Waffles and juice are provided too.
Front Desk staff was very professional and friendly. We came in late one day for breakfast, and they gave us muffins without any hassle or reticence.
The pool and hot tub are very clean and well maintained.
The room was absolutely fantastic. VERY big. Large bathroom, eating area, kitchenette. You feel very much at home. Our room was on the 2nd floor with a river view. It was so peaceful and relaxing.
Also, this hotel is pet-friendly. Great if you are traveling with a dog.
My only minor complaint is that truck/trailer parking is limited to about 2 spaces. We were towing a trailer, and parking was a bit of challenge. This is minor and did not detract from our overall impressions of the hotel.
Glenwood Springs has other nice hotel chains represented (Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, etc), but I know when I stay in Glenwood Springs again, I will look to the Quality Inn first and all others second.
We had a wonderful stay in Glenwood Springs in large part to the comfort and accommodations of the Quality Inn.

12  Thank valor155