“Needs some work”

Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
Denver
“Needs some work”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I have stayed here before and it was alright. I am not sure if I just got a bad room this time or what. This hotel is in need of a remodel. My room had a few issues. The tile on the bathroom floor was cracked and very loud when you walked on it. There was a puddle of some sort liquid under the bathroom counter that had been there for a while. The ceiling above the shower had mold on it. As I looked closer the bathroom was not very clean. It could have used a deep cleaning- stains on the counter front and toothpaste. The tub faucet also dripped pretty loudly the entire time. I had to shut the bathroom door when I went to bed so I would not hear it.

The small table and chairs in the room were nice to have. The chairs were cloth and had many stains on them though. They needed to be cleaned. Most of the furniture was old and beat up. The doors are also very thin. When people were in the hallway talking it sounded like they were standing in your room. You do hear the train but that is the case with any hotel in this area.

The wireless did not really work. I would barely get a signal for a few minutes then it would disappear.

The breakfast was what you would expect. There were no hot eggs- biscuits and gravy instead. Standard fare for a Quality Inn.

I will say that the bed was pretty comfortable and the pillows were not bad. They have new TV's with a good variety of channels.

For a few dollars more you can stay across the street at the Glenwood Suites. I have stayed there many times and it is worth the extra money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Tina L, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for taking time to make your comments. We are in the process of several room updates this entire month. I hope you come back again soon to see the changes and updates we have made.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Clearwater, FL
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Paid $47 for this place on Priceline and was not disappointed in my meager investment. My wife and I wanted to go to the Hot Springs for her birthday. This hotel is in a decent location about 10 minutes from the springs and about 5 minutes from restaurants and shopping. It's right next door to a DQ/Orange Julius which was awesome late at night for a dessert on the way home from the hot springs.

Check in and check out went off without a hitch and the front desk was always there and gracious to answer questions for us. Lobby had a nice little eating area off to the side which during the morning was more than enough space for the deluxe continental breakfast that they had. The breakfast consisted of cereals, fruit, breads, pastries, make-your-own waffles, scrambled eggs, ham scramble or hash, juices, and coffee. It was a nice little surprise and got the day started off right. Also, adjacent to the lobby is a smaller sized pool area with swimming pool, hot tub, and lounge chairs. It looked pretty decent and we probably would have used it if it weren't for all the time spent at the hot springs.

Our room on the second floor was somewhat dated but comfortable nevertheless. We had a view of the river from our room which was a nice bonus. Free wifi throughout the hotel (which is always good) and a kitchen/dining area complete with microwave, fridge, cabinets, and sink. Once again, a nice surprise. Rooms were clean enough and the king sized bed was comfortable. TV had a great selection of channels and was a decent size.

The only thing I didn't like was on the back of everyone's room door, it advertised a manager's special/reception at the Glenwood Suites across the street. It even said, "First, drink's on us." We saw this as we were leaving and thought why not, who doesn't like free alcohol. We double checked with the front desk agent on our way out and he confirmed that all we had to do was, "tell them our room number." When we got over to the other hotel and walked through the lobby, the place that was suppose to have the reception was completely empty with the lights turned off. We checked with the front desk agent and he said, "We don't have that up and running yet." Don't advertise something that isn't happening.

Once again, not a huge deal but along with the dated decor, it's enough to knock it down from a 5 star rating. It provides a lot for a little but needs to just do the little things.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mjf365
Thank you for your nice compliments. I do apologize for the reception not being up. It runs from 5-7 nightly. Please try us again the next time you are in Glenwood.
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We had a family get together here. They were so accommodating for us! My nephew is disabled and they went out of their way to make him comfortable. The continental breakfast was better than a lot of more expensive hotels I have stayed at. We will be returning.

• Stayed March 2013
Your comments are appreciated and I look forward to sharing them with the staff. Please call the hotel directly when are you coming next time and we can share any specials we may be running. Glenwood has been referred to as America's funnest city and we try to offer local deals whenever possible.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stopped unexpectedly in Glenwood Springs during our move from Ca to Co d/t food poisoning. We had our cats in the car and found other area hotels unwilling to rent their pet rooms to cats even if they stayed crated. The gentleman at Quality Inn welcomed them and didn't mind if they were crated or not. We were willing to stay anywhere but we were pleasantly surprised by the great room and good service. Our room was comfortable, clean, and quiet (except for the train the went by once in the morning). I suspect the train is a problem for most hotels in the area but honestly it didn't even wake up my husband who is normally a very lite sleeper. I would absolutely stay here again.
Best features: clean and good price.

Room Tip: The river side rooms have a great view BUT they face the train track so if the noise is a bother to...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your nice compliments, they will be shared with the staff. I'm glad we could accomodate your four legged family members as well. Please do stay with us again!
Effingham, Illinois
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I travel all over the country for my job and try to always stay at a choice hotel because I know what I am getting for my money in almost every instance...not so with the quality in Glenwood Springs. A co-worker and myself stayed 7 nights and let me say...NEVER again. First night I informed the front desk I had no hot water even after letting it run for 15 minutes (I mean it is winter and all) but they had no resolutiuon to it other than let it run longer. So after letting it run for 40 minutes I finally had water warm enough to shower. This was a nightly ritual which, when you are in town on business and perhaps have a schedule to keep, you do not have 45 minutes to waste just to let the water "warm" up. They did just put flat screen TV's in all the rooms...but the old ones were piled up in the stairwells....lazy are we? The beds were ok but need updated unless you like sleeping in an indention. The breakfast was the worst I have ever encountered at a hotel let alone a choice hotel and I stay in hotels 250 plus nights a year! Breakfast starts at 6 am and at 6:05 there is no coffee....really? Only one side of the toaster worked so again...lets have to wait because someone cannot run to walmart and get a decent toaster or 5 of them for that matter. Vending was a joke. After 5 days I thought a soak in the hot tub would be just the thing....until I noticed the many, many, many hairballs floating on the surface....nasty. And to top it all off...the weekend we did stay...the fire alarm went off Saturday, Sunday and Monday conveinantly at midnight every &^%^ night. Ive stayed in dive motels that catered to their clients better....Just plain sad.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank ONERY
Tina L, Regional Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
On behalf of our entire staff we apologize for your experience. I thank you for bringing up some issues that need to be researched. We were aware that there was an alarm malfunction that was repaired but the other comments are the first of that nature.

Breakfast has been updated, meets all Quality requirements and has hot items rotated throughout the week to allow for a greater variety. We have been receiving positive comments from the guests in house that stay with us on a regular basis. We apologize that we had not replenished the coffee as you arrived early morning. There are occasions where large groups come through the breakfast area and chances are the coffee was on the way out of the preparation room.

Again, we apologize that we did not exceed your standards and appreciate your business.
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed here previously but I thought I would address some concearns from other reviewers as this is our prefered hotel in Glenwood.
First, the rail noise. You have to understand that there is no hotel in Glenwood Springs that is not near the railroad. If you don't want to be near the rails, dont stay in Glenwood Springs! That said, rail traffic is not that heavy here and if you request a room on the opposite side you cant hear the trains at all.
Next, parking. I have never had a problem with finding a spot to park, however I was a bit dissapointed with management efforts to clear snow and ice. My wife and I both nearly fell more than once in the two days we stayed and there was no clear path from any parking spot to the front entrance, and no effort was made during our stay to mitigate this. I did notice a container of ice melt outside the lobby but never saw it usedon the ice on the main walk.
Beakfast is typical for free hotel fare, seems to meet Choice standards.
Rooms could be cleaner but you have to look. Our room passed the white sock test but failed the white glove test on less obvious dust collecting surfaces.
We stay in Glenwood Springs about 2 or three times a year and feel that this is the best value here. The rooms are quiet and mostly clean, many great restaurants are within 5 minutes drive, riverfront trail crosses hotel property, a deck with a grill overlooking the river, access to up valley and in city bussing systems. We will continue to make this our base in the roaring fork and recommend it to our family and friends.

• Stayed February 2013
Tina L, Regional Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for your well written and thought out response. I appreciate your commendations and will share with the staff. You really hit the point when you said the rail is everywhere in Glenwood. It is, and in fact some people, myself being one, enjoy it. It's part of the town and has been since 1887. We are so fortunate to have such a wonderful destination with rich history. We also have double windows to assist with muting the sound.

Your concerns regarding the ice and snow have been brought to property manager's attention. We plow and do the ice melt on a regular basis. I'm not sure what happened during your stay and apologize for your slipping. The mountainous area and weather that changes so quickly can in fact pose a challenge. Glenwood experienced some of the coldest conditions, not typical temperatures, in the last two weeks and if we did not get enough ice melt distributed, we will do better.

Thank you for your continued business and your review.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 11, 2013

After a long day on the road driving, there is nothing like a wonderful comfortable non-rubber bed to fall into....and that is exactly what we got..the room was very clean, nicely appointed, staff very nice and helpful, re-cycling available (YEAH)...and a great Hot Breakfast. Yes, there is a train but it only went by once early evening, so no problem for us. My only complaint about our stays at any of the Quality Inns is their use of styrofoam...ugh...not planet friendly!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tina L, Regional Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your comments. It is great to hear you had a nice stay. I look forward to passing your comments along to the rest of the staff.

In response to the comment regarding styrofoam, we are in fact working to become a greener property and the styrofoam is on our list of items to replace.

Thanks again for taking your time to respond and come again soon!