“One of the cheapest places” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Silver Spruce Motel

Silver Spruce Motel
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
Portland, Oregon, United States
“One of the cheapest places”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Travelling the California Zephyr via Amtrak and decided to stop in Glenwood Springs since it's about a halfway point from California to Chicago. They do free amtrak pickup/drop off which was very helpful for us. I also noticed that you can do late check out for $10/hr, I was worried about the train being late (it was) but since check out was 11am and the train was supposed to come in a little after 12pm (it came at 1:50pm) it worked out okay.

Good location, we were able to walk to pretty much everything worth seeing in the area which was convenient. We got the "budget" room which was about $60/night with the tax. It was a ground floor room, pretty small (I would think someone in a wheelchair would have difficulty moving around) with a mini fridge, pretty standard motel room, clean. Only issues were that the hair dryer didn't work and started smoking and on our way out we noticed a bunch of ants in the bed. The hot tub seemed nice although we didn't use it and there was also a free breakfast we didn't get a chance to check out (we like to sleep in and it ended around 9am) Overall for the price it was fine for our needs and minus the ants it felt clean and safe.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Grand Junction
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

The Silver Spruce hotel in Glenwood Springs was really comfortable and a good value for the price (approx $100/night) for Labor Day weekend. It is in a good location near the hot springs, walking distance to several restaurants, and close to downtown. Our room, the honeymoon suite, had a fireplace, a comfortable queen bed, and a jetted tub. It's a little worn in decor, but that added to the charm in a strange way. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I hate to write bad things, but this is why we are on this site. The place is darling. It looks like you are in Germany. The family must be European that owns it. I noticed many people hanging out with their doors open - sitting in old recliners out front - which made me wonder of they live there or maybe it is a different culture thing.

Now to the bad part: BED BUGS. We were comfortably asleep (confy bed) when my husband woke me up at 5a (I am a 9a sleeper). He felt something crawling and bit his neck. We turned on the lights and there were about 15 little bugs - strange all around the head area?

As tired as I was, I couldn't go back to sleep in that bed. We both showered - went to the lobby and the older lady felt bad - I asked for a 50 percent refund and she gave it to me. Maybe it was that one room? Now I am freaked out about bed bugs.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank Ronda M
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Good location. Friendly people working to help you while you staying. Good rate.
This is only place I stay everytime when I go to Glenwood Springs. Many diffrent size of rooms are available for your needs. It is really good location for every where you wants to go from Glenwood Springs. Such as Shopping, Spa, Swimming Pool, Restaurants, Golf, Fishing, Rafting...... you name it!
Easy to excess HWY 70, Not that faraway to Aspen.

Room Tip: Honeymoon suites are large, bright and comfort.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Windsor, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

My family and I were tent-camping south of Aspen at 9500+ elevation and both my son and wife became very ill with altitude sickness at 4:30am. We abandoned camp and drove "down the mountain" past Aspen to Glenwood Springs. With no reservation at 5:30am in the morning ( and no sleep due to rain and sickness) we arrived to find 4 other "first choice" hotels fully booked. The helpful Silver Spruce desk clerk allowed us to check-in at 6am (and stay for the next 24+ hours, other hotels wanted us to check out at 11am that same morning or pay for two nights! ) for $100 bucks we got the HONEYMOON ( Bay window) room (which is an end unit facing the highway). The room was clean but dated ( on par with an older RED ROOF ) and it did NOT ( surprisingly ) smell like smoke. I was not being very picky at 6am and I could have slept on a log at that point, but the beds were comfy and the room was comfortable too with a quiet AC unit.
The continental breakfast was simply OK. Thank you SILVER SPRUCE for saving our trip and saving me from having to pay for two nights hotel accommodation!

Room Tip: the Bay Window room was huge ( two queen beds ) with a fridge and microwave.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hendricks, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

My wife and I got into Glenwood late and didn't have a reservation. Our first choice was full so we stopped at the Best Western, they wanted $165.00 but came down to $139.00 for a queen. We drove across the street to the Silver Spruce, Gail at the front desk was very helpful and had a ground floor king for $79.00. The room was clean, comfortable bed,and the grounds were well taken care of. A couple of good resturants close by. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I have stayed here 2 times in years past, but it seems like things have gone a little downhill. The location is fantastic, and I like that pets are still allowed here. It's quaint and I love the landscaping/flowers everywhere. Breakfast was pretty good, though fresh fruit would have been nice.No shampoo/lotion in the bathroom any longer, lightbulbs out, I'm not convinced the sheets were freshly changed....

Room Tip: Ask not to be put in the ice machine rooms or the laundry room rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family