“Excellent budget motel, wonderful staff”

Silver Spruce Motel
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
Reviewed January 21, 2012

We have stayed at the Silver Spruce several times over the years. Our stays have been for one night in January on our way to Aspen. The staff could not be more accommodating. If you come in on Amtrak they will meet you at the train station. On our last visit in January 2012, they even upgraded us to a larger room because we had a lot of luggage. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean and well equipped with a microwave, fridge and coffee pot. The breakfast is the best I have ever had at a budget motel--wonderful sausage gravy and biscuits, waffles, cereal and sweets. The location is great--only a short walk downtown and to the Hot Springs. We have stayed at other places in Glenwood Springs and paid a lot more money for less. We will be returning to the Silver Spruce!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OnLineBargainHunter

Reviewed December 22, 2011

Nice hotel with big rooms (for the price). Close to tram, springs and downtown.
Breakfast was good and stuff was nice and helpfull. Hotel was clean.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 16, 2011

We stayed there for one night. Arrived close to 2am the night before and the front desk was opened. The room was very spacious for what we paid. My friend complained that the bed was hard but I slept like a pig. I thought it was alright. Great breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 23, 2011

This was our second time in a few years staying at the Silver Spruce Motel. I have to say that this is an instance where you get what you paid for and believe me it was not much. After this last experience we won't return. We are thinking about paying a bit more and possibly staying at the Best Western across the street.

During this last stay, we felt like the place went downhill since our last visit. Our room was ok but we couldn't easily get connected to their free Wi-Fi and the breakfast in the morning was less than exciting (no yogurt) bagles, instant oatmeal I don't think they had fruits and the coffee not so good. We did not eat breakfast there on Sunday and went to Rosie's bavarian Inn and restaurant across the street for brunch and had a GREAT meal.

Also it seems like a lot of people were smoking and the people who stayed at the motel were louder and stayed up outside their room at night.

The rooms have not been updated and in our room we could feel the vibrations of the washing machine which was located on the floor below us. We had a second floor room.

The two people we dealt with at the front desk were nice enough but not enough to make us return. It is too bad as this motel is very well located and as potential.

Room Tip: Possibly second fllor away from stairs and not above guest laundry room - also away from the road
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank NatC100
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed here for a week. Beds are firmer than my personal preference--but still quite comfortable. Room was cleaned daily and fresh towels provided. Breakfast was good--biscuits and gravy, cereal, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, pastry, waffles and bagels. The staff was helpful and attentive--excellent service. We stayed in a double room with fridge and microwave. A friend had the "pent house" which was like a small apartment--two bedrooms, living/dining area, full kitchen and fireplace. They greatly enjoyed their stay as well. Several restaurants are located within a 10 minute walk. The Glenwood Springs pool and access to the tram to Adventure park are also close by.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kelsie05
Reviewed July 22, 2011

My children and 2 of their friends stayed her 7/18-20 because of it's low rates and ability to accomodate 5 people with a kitchen. When I made my reservation and told the person that there would be 1 adult and 4 children in the room, her response was "who did that to you". When I called a few days before to verify the accomodations and asked how many the unit slept, her response was "I hate that question." When we arrived I mentioned that I detected the smell of cigarette smoke in the Lobby and wanted to make sure our room was non-smoking. Her response was "no one smokes in the office, except for 1 person and she's off for the the next 2 days and isn't even that heavy a smoker." Our unit had 2 small bedrooms without nightstand or any drawers and no closet doors and a living room/kitchen combo with a sofa sleeper. It was extremely hot in the unit at 6:30 pm, as it was in the 90's that day, however none of the windows had screens and some of them didn't open and the small air conditioner never cooled down the bedrooms. I was assured that the kitchen was "fully stocked" with pots, pans, silverware, etc. There was a single frying pan, no bowls, no pots and enough silverware for 3 people. The refrigerator was set at 1 when we arrived and was finally cool enough to put our food in when we left. The hairdryer was broken, the toilet didn't flush consistently, we were given 3 towels for 5 people and not all of them were clean, there were screws sticking out of the floor, there were cigarette burns in the sofa, the sofabed mattress was torn and so thin you may as well slept of the bare metal. All these things were discovered after the office was closed. When I checked out, I gave the front desk person a list of the repairs and wasn't offered an apology let alone a discount. I was so flustered that it didn't occur to me that I never received a receipt for the room charge. I orginally thought it was a good deal, but that wasn't the case.

Room Tip: Front of hotel faces busy street and back faces highway. Not all the windows open and none of them h...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank cotraveler1125
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Small room but nicely done and clean. Biscuits and gravy breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple