“Blood on the wall and pee on the carpet”
Review of Plaza Inn Hotel

Plaza Inn Hotel
Ranked #23 of 24 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This review is long overdue, but as we plan our next anniversary trip to Glenwood Springs, I can't help but reflect on our last one.

A frequent traveler-with-pets, I called this Ramada before booking to clarify their pet policy at length. It seemed pretty standard, so I booked. I arrived to find them trying to charge me almost double the pet free we had agreed upon (thank goodness I had printed out what I agreed to!). They did lower the price when I showed them I had it in writing. However, their pet policy was NOT what I had agreed to, or what any other pet-friendly hotel I have been to does (and certainly not what we discussed on the phone). I am used to no barking/no noise/no unpaid for pet damage/no pets left loose unattended in room policies. Imagine my surprise to find a "no pets left unattended in room under any circumstances (even crated) or a fee will be assessed" policy. That meant I couldn't leave my quiet, clawless cat LOCKED IN A CRATE in an unobtrusive corner of the room while the room was cleaned. Translation? I could never have my room cleaned during my entire stay, lest the maids discover my harmless, silent cat and charge me $45.

I guess I can't complain, too much, since the room hadn't been cleaned in years anyway. The carpet was a minefield of pee smells, and it dyed our feet black in one walk across the room. We had to wash our feet regularly, and it was an anniversary weekend during which we could not touch each other's feet. There was blood smeared on the wall next to the lightswitch, and brown water stains on the ceiling (we were on the bottom floor). We learned this hotel has an entire pet wing, where they throw all pet owners in a pee pit and let us fend for ourselves. Dogs bark all day (and sometimes at night) without repercussion.

Of course, the carpet was ripped, the shower curtain was marginally functional, there was dirt in every corner, etc. -- but this all pales in comparison to everything else!

The worst part? We wanted to love this hotel. The location is great. But we were trapped in a pit with our pets, so we had to take the dog out every chance we got, and leave our poor kitty in an uncleaned room in pee-ville with our permanently affixed "DO NOT DISTURB' sign.

I was relieved when we were contacted about a follow-up survey. I have done these for other hotels in the past, and serious complaints have been addressed and refunded. After doing Ramada's survey, I never heard another word from them. Inexcusable.

Room Tip: Stay away from the pet rooms - covered in pee!!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank B D

Reviewed April 26, 2012

Van is the man at the Ramada in glenwood springs. We are a school that needed a place to hold our ACT testing and the room they gave was excellent for our use. There was an outside patio for the kids to use between tests. Van was always very friendly and never once was annoye dwith me when i made the mistake of renting the room for 3 days instead of just one. I highly recommend them for a gathering place.

marta

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mparkerCarbondale
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I am used to staying in the Westins/Marriotts/Hiltons of the world, so when compared to those, of course the Ramada Inn is a step down, but within its own hotel category I thnk it's a decent property.

The renovated rooms, well you can tell they tried, but of course it's still a ramada. The entry area of the new rooms have hardwood floors, and an updated sink and vanity. Curved shower rod in the bathroom, which is small but adequate. The TVs are still the old CRT televisions, but they get lots of channels.

There is free wifi, and honestly their wifi is better than what I usually have to pay for in the westins and marriotts of the world, honestly I'm blown away by the wifi here! Large minifridge and coffee maker in each room. The sleeping room hallways have an skylight shining down, and the natural light is a nice touch. Sleeping room walls are brick, giving the room a 70s feel, but still a decent room.

It's only a five-minute walk, max, over to the hot springs pool, so it's convenient to that attraction, and to downtown.

Staff is very friendly!

Breakfast is OK, what you would expect at a ramada.

There is a nice fireplace in the lobby, as well as a computer that is free to use, with free printer.

If I had to stay in Glenwood Springs again, and needed to stay at this price point again, I would be OK choosing the Ramada.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 25, 2012

The room was clean & our doors opened both to the hotel & to the sidewalk for convenient for walking of our Dorkie.
Kevin was very good; the best. Colette was pleasant & conscientious.
The rooms smelled nice, had a refrigerator, microwave, ironing board, hair dyer & nice smelling toiletries. The pool was very small. Our only complaint was the Karaoke bar had 3 unsupervised children (under age 10) around heavy alchohol use by drunken patrons who were performing lude acts. No only was it highly inappropriate, it was after 10:30 p.m. When I complained to Gretchen at the front desk she rudely shouted "it's not against the law". We have stayed at a lot of Ramada Inns. I am an attorney & the "Karaoke Bar" did not seem conducive to family values & seems to be a huge liability problem waiting to happen for Ramada.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank MarvinMadeline
Bruce B, General Manager at Plaza Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay here at the Ramada. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your room and the location. We have karaoke in our restaurant/bar area on Saturday nights for the enjoyment of our guests. Some people do bring their children with them to enjoy the music. After reevaluating our business on Saturday nights, we have decided to hire professional security to be protect the safety and well being of all. Thank you sharing your concerns. We appreciate your comments.

Reviewed March 24, 2012

Hotel is VERY dated and had nasty ceiling in the bathroom. Has a bar in the basement that blares music until 2 in the morning on the weekends. At checkin, I specifically asked to not be placed facing the highway or to in a room that was noisy. We were put right over the bar and the "banquet" rooms, in which there was a raffle, auctioneering event being held with karoke in the bar. LOUD! The staff tried to be helpful, but all the other rooms were taken, so we couln't change rooms. The clientel of this hotel matches the decor. It is not worth the money unless you can be sure to get a room on the upper levels. Nice location to the hot springs though.

Room Tip: Make sure to get upper level rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. We are very sorry the karoke and auction event disturbed you and your family. We sincerely appologize for any inconvenience you suffered that night. Because of this incident we are reviewing our check-in procedures to make sure we are listening to our guests needs and concerns when they arrive. We want to be the best hotel we can be, and will work hard to make sure every guest is comfortable and happy. Thank you again for making us aware of your concerns.

Reviewed March 23, 2012

We had to ask to get the price quoted on the internet, but they did eventually honor the ad ($71) after a manager was consulted. Room was fine, a standard hotel room, clean and convenient to the hot springs pool. Checkout time was listed as 11:00 am, but about 9:00 a member of the cleaning staff knocked on our door (despite the "do not disturb" sign). When we answered, he was already walking away, and told us knocking had been "a mistake." When we asked if he worked at the hotel, he admitted that he did, and apologized for disturbing us. So we went to breakfast (not free, just $2 off the regular price, but omelets were fine and coffee was good) and got back to our room with an hour still left before checkout. We weren't allowed to enjoy it, though, because about 10:25 there was pounding on the door ("do not disturb" sign was still there) and the head of housekeeping was standing there demanding to know if we were going to be gone "today", and by 11:00. She wasn't especially nice about it, but did finally go away when we assured her we would be out by 11. I phoned the front desk, and all I got was a detailed explanation of how they organize the housekeeping, when what I would have liked was something like, "so sorry, please take a little extra time if you'd like before you check out, to make up for us disturbing you." I tried to give them a second chance to make it right when I checked out, and while there was no desk clerk, a manager or someone (he did not introduce himself) eventually came out of an office in the front of the hotel to speak with me. He also wanted to explain to me in detail how they set up the cleaning schedule, and when I told him that I was on vacation and not really interested in learning about the management of his hotel, he seemed to understand what I was saying, but immediately resumed his explanation of how they manage the housekeeping, as if what I'd just said to him was in no way relevant. He certainly did not say anything like, this was a rare incident, please give us another chance, here's a coupon for your next stay. No, both managers I spoke with just wanted to make me see how their system was necessary to housekeeping interrupting our privacy, as if a lecture about hotel management would add to our enjoyment of our little getaway. It didn't.

We've stayed at this Ramada before, traveling with children, and it's fine if you're planning to get up early and get out. But it's not the place to spend a leisurely morning, especially if you'd like a little privacy. And it's certainly not a place where management has a "make it right" attitude.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FeralTraveler

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay here at the Ramada. I am sorry your stay was not as relaxing as it should have been. I appoloigize for our early intrusion into your privacy. It is the policy of the hotel to not disturb guests with a "Do Not Disturb" sign. I am very sorry our staff member did not notice the sign until after you opened the door. The problem was compounded when yet another staff person knocked on your door and asked when you were checking out. I can understand your frustration when explaining the intrusion only to be given the housekeeping schedule. I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your stay. The management of this hotel does care and we will do a better job of anticipating guests needs in the future. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed March 4, 2012

We got a price of $65 on Hotwire, which gave it 3 stars. I'm not sure what qualifies it for 3, but it was not in top shape. Certainly clean, but nothing makes it stand out from a normal motel. We enjoyed the hottub, and you can also access the Hot Springs Pool by walking. I would not have wanted to pay over $100, which is what it advertises online. Certainly you can get this price if you call, at least in winter.

Room Tip: We were near I-70 but it was perfectly quiet at night
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family