“Great hotel. Excellent pool!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glenwood Springs
Glenwood Hot Springs Lodge
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Alamosa, Colorado
“Great hotel. Excellent pool!!”
Reviewed August 17, 2010

I have been to Glenwood Springs many times and I always enjoy staying at the lodge the most. It is right across the street from the pool so it is very convenient. It is also very close to all of the main attraction in Glenwood.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Denver, Colorado, USA
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I want to start off by saying that swiming in the hotsprings pool is really a must-do if you are in Glenwood Springs. Even though it costs about 19 dollars a person (adult entrance fee) it is certainly well worth it. The huge pool with its history, delightfully warm water - soft with minerals and chaulk full of happy people is truly something unique and you'll always remember it. Bring your quarters so that you can sit in one of their "bubble chairs". Better yet, come early in the day and make a day of it. You are allowed to bring in food and everyone, kids through grandparents, seemed to be having a blast. Even with many people in the water it didn't seem crowded because the pools, all with naturally heated shallow water, seem to go on forever. There is plenty of space! Can't say enough about that relaxing and fun experience.

The lodge however. . . we arrived tired from our drive from Denver on a Friday evening. When we got to the room, my partner noticed that the toilet was not flushing properly - you know, when you flush and the water level slowly gets higher and higher, dangerously close to the top of the edge of the toilet? Yikes! I called down and requested that perhaps we move to another room so that we could clean up and relax for a bit after our trip and so that they could take care of the toilet situation in this room. I was informed that they were unable to move us because they were full. But they offered to send a maintenance person up to look at it.

Okay, well, we understood that it was probably true-they probably were full. I thought, it will be kinda gross to watch them plunge a toilet while we're on our romantic getaway, but . . . okay! Let's roll with it!

A very nice man appears with a snake (something about that gave me the feeling that this may be a reoccurring problem if he starts off with a snake and not a plunger, but hey, maybe he's just a no nonsense type of drain unplugger) and he starts to snake the toilet drain - again, . . .and again, . . .and again, shaking his head with dissatisfaction each time he retracts the metal snake back up from the depths of . . . where ever it goes down there. 30 minutes later, after snaking and resnaking the drain, he lets us know that he is still unable to clear the toilet. He lets us know that he thinks there may be a shampoo bottle down there. Well, I think, at least I have an image of a shampoo bottle instead of imagining what the heck could be stuck down there so stubbornly.

I called back to the front desk and let them know that the gentleman has said that he is having trouble clearing the clog and is she sure she couldn't move us? No, no available rooms, but she does volunteer that she would consider discounting the room to compensate us. However, she let me know, she would have to hear it "directly" from the maintenance man himself that he is unable to clear the drain before she could give us any discount. Can she talk to him? Wow. Okay.

I go back to the toilet and tell him of her request. He looks at me like I'm crazy (I'm starting to wonder myself at this point), his rubber gloves dripping with toilet water. "Tell her I can't come to the phone right now with my hands like this." I walk back to the phone and I repeat to the front desk woman what he has told me. I'm wondering if she thinks I am making this up.

In order to get the full laugh out of this, you have to realize that we paid 229 dollars for this room. Even without the toilet problem, the room is essentially a room that looks like it belongs at an older Comfort Inn (no offense to them but there is certainly a difference between a 79 dollar room and a 229 dollar room, or at least there should be). I realize as I am making a decided effort to not get upset or become impatient with the front desk - Wow. Really? We paid 229 dollars for a room that doesn't have a working toilet, not to mention that we have now burned up a 1/2 hour of our vacation weekend just watching some guy snake said toilet? Hmmm. Strange beginning to a get away weekend. I thought the maintenance guy was really nice, but I hadn't imagined spending that much time with him, you know what I mean?

When I mentioned that it wouldn't really be such a big problem except that we would really like to shower and rest after our drive, and by the way, I have to, er, . . . go to the bathroom, the very young sounding front desk person suggested, get this, that I go across the street and use the bathroom at the hotsprings pool. Huh? She also let us know that, by the way, if the maintenance guy could ultimately fix the toilet anytime tonight, she didn't think her manager would give us any discount at all, because, "you know, if he fixes it, then the toilet would ultimately be functional." Sorry, did I mention that this room cost us 229 dollars?

In keeping with the spirit of Don't Sweat the Small Stuff - i just took a deep breath, chuckled and told her to leave us a message as to whatever they decide about the discount, as i simply now had to hang up and make my way to the public restroom across the street. And down the hill, as it turned out.

After all, what else could we do but buck up and have a good attitude because remember, we're here for a well needed get-away and didn't really want such a silly thing to ruin it. Plus I had to admit that the person on the other end sounded so inexperienced that I had to assume that she had no idea what she was doing - why get mad at her? It was a training issue and I actually felt a little sorry for her. So off we went, to use the bathroom at the hotsprings and forget about the poor guy still snaking that toilet as we left.

When we returned later that night after eating at the Italian Underground (a good place to go if you can stand the wait - and there is a reason that there is a wait!) we were feeling happy and forgiving about the whole situation and ready to just get to bed. We hoped and assumed that the situation had been resolved since we had been gone for about four hours. As it turned out, we didn't have to wonder as the woman at the front desk, I can only guess was the manager, yells - and yes, I mean yells, in a way that reflected real pride in the accomplishment- all the way across the lobby, "MA'AM?! MA'AM?! YOUR TOILET IS (dramatic pause) . . . FIXED!" We just stopped in our tracks, turned and looked at each other and started laughing. Holy Cow! I'm glad that everyone knows now that I had toilet issues. . . LOL!

In general, you should be prepared for a very simple and in all honesty, somewhat tired looking room that will certainly do, but is also certainly nothing special. If you take advantage of the pool passes this takes a little bite out of the high price because you get a pass on the day you check in and on the day that you leave . For the price though, there can be no doubt that one would expect a little bit more sophistication in the service. I wish that I had known that other, much nicer (and as it turned out less expensive) hotels were so very close to the Hot Springs Pool when I made the reservation. The website makes it seem like the pools are right on the premises but actually they are seperate. Next time, I think we will most likely stay at the Hotel Colorado or the Hotel Denver, which are actually almost as close as the Hot Springs Lodge to the pools, only a few hundred feet in difference. Hopefully they won't yell at me about my toilet. Hopefully we won't have to hope for a toilet that works.

I did notice that when we checked out, they had deducted 20 dollars off the price. Hmmm. This gave us yet another little laugh on the way to Durango, where we looked forward to staying at the lovely Strater Hotel. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? I did discover the wonderful hotsprings pool, and after all, we did adopt a catchy phrase to use throughout the rest of our roadtrip get away whenever we wanted to inspire a little laughter. "Your toilet. . . is. . . FIXED!"

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Pepperoneez
Centennial, Colorado
Reviewed August 7, 2010

Glenwood Hot Springs Lodge is such an amazing deal. We always arrive early the day of check-in (12pm) and often we can get right into our room but if not no worries, our pool bags are packed and off we head to the pool. The hotel is great about giving us our pool passes for that day so the fun can begin! The ease of having the pool right outside your hotel room is such a great ammenity, Dining in the area is great and many options from takeout to sit down. Back to the pool for a late night soak and then the room is spacious and clean so slumber sets in. Love the fact that they ahve rooms that can accomodate our 5 person family which is often not the case with other hotels. Wake up and pool passes await us with a continental breakfast. Very filling with protien options as well as a very nice variety of items to choose from. A defnite annual get away for our family. This year was our 8th year attending!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Castle Rock, Colorado
Reviewed July 31, 2010

My husband and I have twin boys that are 5 and this hotel fit our family perfectly. We had a large room with 2 queen beds, a couch and a patio with a grassy area for the boys to play. The bathroom area was more than adequate for our size family and housekeeping was always more than happy to leave us extra coffee, pillows or anything else we needed. Our room faced the hot springs, and we happily walked across the street every morning for our fabulous continental breakfast, which included pancakes, irish oatmeal, cereals, potatoes, danishes, bagels and much more to please this finicky family! Our stay included the hot springs and our boys swam from morning until night. The waterslides were definately a draw and they kept us busy! There is so much to do in Glenwood Springs and the hotel staff is very knowledgable on getting you where you need to go. We had a wonderful time and cannot wait to get back to the Lodge and enjoy some rafting and other activities we didn't have time for on this trip! I would definately recommend this hotel!!!

Torrance, California
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Our family makes an annual trip to Colorado and while we are there we always stay at the Hot Springs Lodge and Pool for a minimum of 3 days. Because the majority of us grew up in Colorado, we mostly just hang out at the lodge and pool areas. The staff is great, the accommodations are excellent. The price includes all day access to the pool, continental breakfast, and a couple of other discounts. This year we received a little gift for staying at the lodge. Definitely a family favorite location!

Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed July 27, 2010

It was a very relaxing time to hang out at the pool and spend time in the water. We also love the miniature golf and mexican restaurant near by. We just parked the car and walk for two days.

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Very clean. Nice quiet place to stay. I will definitely visit again:)