“Our second visit here--just a great as the first time!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Denver

Hotel Denver
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
Boulder, Colorado
“Our second visit here--just a great as the first time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

My husband and I travelled by train to Glenwood Springs and decided to stay again at the Hotel Denver. We had stayed here a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the hotel and the town. We were once again very happy with the service and accommodations. Our room was beautiful--full of antique furniture and overlooking the historic train station. Even though we were near the elevator, we never heard noise from the hallway. The room was very relaxing and beautifully appointed. The hotel staff greeted us every time we came in and were so helpful and friendly. They even provided towels and a bag for our trips to the hot springs! We will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amy N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

The customer service is excellent at the Hotel Denver! I was very impressed! The room was one of the quietest rooms I have ever experienced in a hotel. The only negative was that it is probably time for the mattress to be replaced as I could feel the springs. Overall, a great experience!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 stars
Crawfordsville, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Stayed at this hotel based on other reviews on TA - my daughter and I were not disappointed. From the moment we entered the lobby, we were treated like royalty and the staff continued to be very attentive. Recommendations were made for nearby activities. The hotel provided towels for a trip to the Hot Springs. Since our trip was for a special occasion, when another room became available that was more suitable to our needs, the hotel upgraded our room for no additional charge. There is also an excellent restaurant adjoining the hotel. I will be coming back with my wife to stay here when in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the train station have the best views
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank WabashDoc
JACKSON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

This hotel is by far old, but the interior has been renovated and is lovely. From the minute you walk in you feel welcomed, relaxed and home! I recommend rooms that have a mountain view. The bathrooms are small but have luxury amenities and a great shower. The room is very comfortable with brick walls and antique furnishings. You are in the heart of downtown so you can park the car and walk everywhere.

Room Tip: Rooms with a mountain view
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Tetontails
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We went to a wedding in Glenwood Springs Colorado, where most of the out of town guests stayed at the Hotel Colorado, including a friend who stayed in the prestigious Teddy Roosevelt suite. Sounds fancy, doesn't it? It is, until you realize that the Hotel Colorado hasn't been rehabbed since Teddy Roosevelt stayed in it, and most of the rooms at the Colorado don't have A/C. Not a big deal unless it's summertime or you are having hot flashes; heaven forbid you are experiencing both. Point is, I am sure the Colorado was grand in it's glory days, but it no longer is. So this is why you should stay at the Hotel Denver.

Luckily, before blindly booking where all of the other guests were staying, I read TA and found the Hotel Denver was exactly what I was looking for. Although big box hotels often have all the amenities families need, I find them dreadfully uninteresting and try to avoid them at all costs. I called and booked through the lovely Janine. We entered the gorgeous lobby and were greeted by the most wonderful human in the hotel business, Roxie, in guest relations. She was so great our entire stay, I titled my review after her!

We stayed in room 205, which had a beautiful view of the Glenwood Springs pool, the Hotel Colorado in the distance and the mountain. The room was charming, beautiful, surprisingly large (with two queen beds) and appointed with beautiful antiques. The hotel is right in the downtown area, walkable to many great restaurants, shopping, nightlife and a 5 minute walk to the famous Glenwood Springs pools.

If I had to find any potential downsides, it was that I heard running around for about 5 min late at night over my head while I was sleeping. Not a huge deal, but I it's not a very sound proof hotel, but I didn't see any kids either. The bathroom was quite small, not a big deal for me, but if you like elbow room, it might not be the best. Lastly, there is no on site gym, but there is a community center gym that is a mile away (quick 10 min run) for $10 a day.

Will definitely stay there again when we are back in town. It's $209 a night for a summer wknd rate. Perfectly thrilled with our choice. The upside:

1) besides Roxie being the best guest relations mgr, who is willing to help you with restaurant reservations, adventure tickets, bkfst ideas, etc;

2)the beds are comfortable

3) they DO have A/C

4) free coffee, granola bars and apples out in the morning

5) free parking a block away (with a permit)

6) it's perfectly located with many restaurants and nightlife right outside your door, along with the GS Springs Pool

7) they have excellent housekeeping. I could have eaten off the floor. I love that!

Things to do: Stop by the GS pools (when in Rome); it's a 5 minute walk. $18 for adults. $11 for kids if you purchase tix at hotel. Drive 5 minutes to the GS Adventure Park $45 per tix (so much fun-get there when they open at 9am, lines are minimal until 11am). Take a hike. Have dinner at Juicy Lucy's a block away. Great food and beer. Sing Hotel Colorado to the tune of Hotel California

Room Tip: A view facing the Hotel Colorado is gorgeous. Room 205 was a great choice. Higher floors have less n...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank chicago60614
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

At every step of my experience with the Hotel Denver, I felt like the staff genuinely cared that every detail was met beyond my expectations.
I've stayed in Glenwood Springs about 10 times, almost always on vacation with my family. This time I had a very short business trip and thought I'd treat myself to the "fancy" hotel downtown rather than staying at one of the chains or smaller motels. Come to find out it was the best decision I could have made. From the offer of a corporate rate to the free parking and easy-to-access wifi, along with the fabulous location, free parking and absolutely charming and beautiful accommodations, it was the best business trip I've been on in ages.
In the end, the Hotel Denver was NOT any more expensive than the chains, yet offered so much more. I also took advantage of the proximity to the Glenwood Brewery and had a wonderful dinner with their delicious, seasonal Cattle Creek IPA to drink.
For a business traveler, it's always nice to have a safe place to take a stroll after a day of meetings or travel - Glenwood's historic neighborhoods surround the hotel and offer a delightful break from dreary conference rooms.
Thanks to every member of the staff - what a treat. I'll be back and will tell all my friends.

Room Tip: The rooms are extremely variable in size and shape - be sure to let them know your personal needs an...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

With a 100+ year history, the Hotel Denver is appointed with eclectic antiques and curiosities and located in town, directly across the street from the Amtrak Station. When I called to book the room, the receptionist was helpful in advising me on room selection based on our needs. We chose a room with an inside window, but not above the restaurant/ bar which she advised could be noisy. The inside windows let plenty of light into the room and use painted glass to provide privacy. Decorated with homey antiques, our room was clean, the water was hot and had good pressure, and the bed was comfortable. Upon entering, we were greeted by enthusiastic staff and presented with free bottles of water. They keep bowls of water and apples on the counter, that guests may enjoy at any time. They also offer coffee, tea, whole fruit and little breakfast bars in the morning. The staff helped us with maps, restaurant suggestions and tips for our hike to hanging lake. The hotel sells discounted tickets to the hot springs, a short walk across a bridge from the hotel (~1 long city block). And provided large towels for guests in a convenient carry bag. Upon our return from dinner, the staff offered to store my leftovers in the refrigerator. Glenwood Canyon Brewing Company (brewpub) located on the first floor serves as the hotel restaurant serving lunch and dinner.

Room Tip: Stay away from the brewpub and have the staff help you choose, each room is unique.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends