“Historic, comfortable gem”
Review of Hotel Denver

Hotel Denver
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
Reviewed May 8, 2014

After a long hike up and down from Hanging Lake, we had been intending to do the 1 hour drive to Aspen and spend the night there. However when passing through Glenwood Springs, we saw the brewery sign for the attached brewpub for Hotel Denver, and could not help but stop there instead.
We checked at the hotel desk for availability, got a great rate, and decided to stay.

The room was modern yet had lovely antiques. Our room overlooked the train station, hot springs, and Hotel Colorado - fantastic! The brewpub has tasty local beers and food plus friendly service. Highly recommend it. Then, to burn off the beers and food from the night before, take a hike in the morning up to the cemetery to see Doc Holiday's grave - the trailhead is only a few blocks away from the hotel. Then, after the hike reward yourselves with a soak in the hot springs, as we did! Highly recommend a stop in Glenwood Springs & a stay at the Hotel Denver.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the train station & river.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SunPorchGirl
There are newer reviews for Hotel Denver

Reviewed May 6, 2014

This is a must! We are already planning to go back we loved it so much. It started with the very personal and friendly staff. They remembered us every time we passed and had lots of suggestions on where to eat and what to do.The gorgeous room was one of a kind. Floor to ceiling windows, brick walls and hardwood floors.... I didnt want to leave the room! Thanks for the unforgettable stay!

Room Tip: Want a gorgeous room you dont want to leave? Room 304!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sloan A
Reviewed May 5, 2014

This is the premier hotel in town. Located downtown near several good restaurants and bars. We had suite with outdoor hot tub. Great view of the river. Nice clean hotel centrally located. We would go back again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GLENN W
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Hotel Denver was an awesome find. The hotel has maintained it's charm (tile floors in lobby from 1921, piano built in 1885, real keys for the doors, antiques and quilts in the rooms) but has also added everything you want while traveling (comfy beds and couches, big flat screen TVs, big tubs/showers, plenty of plugs, free WiFi).

Our room (Colorado style) was on the third floor on the corner so we had four floor to ceiling arched windows on two walls overlooking the Colorado river, mountains, and downtown Glenwood Springs. The room was spacious with hardwood floors throughout (tile in bathroom), a large couch, antique chair, coffee table and end tables, and antique dressers in the sitting area and a comfy bed (with headboard and footboard!) in the sleeping area. There was ample space and storage but what I loved most was the quaintness, the old-world touches and charm, and the overall feel of the room. It's comfortable - you just feel relaxed and at home.

All this AND it's super pet-friendly. No extra fees and no restrictions. You can even leave your dog in the room as long as you leave your cell number with the front desk (so they can call if your pet 'misses you').
The front desk staff were wonderful and incredibly friendly and welcoming. The girl who checked me in (unfortunately I don't remember we name) was quite possibly the nicest person I've ever encountered at a hotel.

The hotel is also within walking distance of everything downtown, including restaurants, shops, and the hot spring pools, as well as a number of hiking trails. The Amtrak station is directly across the street if you are traveling by train.

Loved our stay here and I highly recommend it.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank MyCuppaJo
Reviewed April 29, 2014

If you love trains, then this hotel is for you. If not, then you had best have a 'no-chain' penchant with your selection of hotels at which to stay.

Now if you REALLY love trains, such as being an avid train buff, or 'foamer', then ask if Rooms 204 or 304 are available. Those rooms will give you an expansive view of the Union Pacific's Rio Grande line, which has both Union Pacific and BNSF trains operating over such, as well as Amtrak's California Zephyr. As other reviewers of this property have noted, the train station is directly opposite the hotel.

Now my visit was tempered by unfortunate circumstances that by Memorial Day weekend are expected to be resolved. First, the City has been doing road construction in front of the hotel, resulting in its main entrance being closed. This of course engendered confusion to one who was being guided in by way of his auto's Sat/Nav system. In the end, I had to carry my luggage from their 'adjacent of sorts' parking lot through a back alley employee entrance - talk about a 'grand entrance' to a hotel that markets itself as 'boutique'.

Once inside (I personally travel light; 'If you can't carry it - as distinct from wheel it - don't bring it'), I now learned that the Hotel's restaurant and bar were 'closed for renovation'. I just loved that one, for after having driven for the better part of seven hours from Salt Lake City, I like having a 'full-service' hotel at which I can both drink and eat what I want without concerns the first noted can present.- especially in a strange city. The Desk Clerk passed out the 'apology letter' and fortunately there were restaurants available without much of a walk. Adjacent is one named The Pullman, whose 'fusion' cuisine was of no interest. Next to that was Juicy Lucy's that bills themselves as a steakhouse - and at which their steak certainly had resort town prices, but at best could be considered 'good enough'. Wine appeared to simply be a commodity, as most of the focus appeared to be on 'craft' beers. First noted is my beverage of choice; can't think of when I last has one of the other (college, perchance?). After I left Juicy, I then went to The Pullman, and 'had two' at their bar with some very interesting and amiable folk. Wine mediocre, company just great.

OK, enough of the negatives that may well be non issues by the time the reader expects to travel; now the positives. The hotel is both immaculately clean and refurbished, and the furnishings are 'not exactly major chain'. The building is well sound deadened so that if the trains are an impediment, you won't even notice them. If you choose to go to the public hot springs on the other side of the River, such is a convenient walk, and the hotel has towels and bathing wear available. The Downtown Glenwood Springs area is quite compact - everything you want can be had with a walk.

All told, if you seek out 'distinctive' hotel properties, or are any kind of a train buff, your impressions of this property will be more favorable than mine. I simply prefer major brand chain properties where 'the best surprise is no surprise' - and my one night stay at The Hotel Denver simply had too many of such.

Room Tip: Rooms 204 and 304 are 'railfan paradise'
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Gilbie_9
Reviewed April 21, 2014

My girlfriend and I just recently stayed in the 'St. James Room' suite at the Hotel Denver. We had a 2 night stay and the whole experience was wonderful. The entire staff was eager and willing to assist us with anything we needed. Roxy had a great attitude from the day I booked my reservation all the way through the trip. Its definitely going to be my #1 hotel choice in Glenwood for future trips.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Chris R
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Our first time to Colorado and Glenwood Springs. We chose Hotel Denver because of very good reviews on Trip Advisor and we were not disappointed.

We arrived by train and so easy just crossing the road from Amtrak station and being at our hotel. Centre of town so handy to everything. Room we had was large with everything we needed and in a quiet corner of the hotel. Staff were all very friendly and helpful. Would recommend the Hotel Denver.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends