“Very nice experience”

Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
Zionsville, Indiana
“Very nice experience”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Based on friends' recommendation we stayed one night at the Hotel Denver. We had room 444 that overlooked the side street with an 16 step climb after you got off the elevator on the 3rd floor. Our renovated room was a pleasant surprise! After a long day traveling, my husband sank into a real leather chair in our room and we appreciated having such a tastefully decorated room with a quilts on one wall and the bed with a lovely period piece dresser , table and end tables. The bed had a great mattress and pillows and the bathroom was totally updated.. We had the charm of an historic hotel with real furniture but with the present day creature comforts.

Both the evening and morning staff were very welcoming with lots of suggestions for breakfast, dinner and area attractions.

I would highly recommend this place to anyone planning to stay in Glenwood Springs.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Barb8505

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I have stayed here twice in the last two years for work. Nice rooms with an old charm. The hotel is in walking distance of great places to the hot springs and the downtown area. Did I mention the brew pub next door.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Kim E
USA
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Denver the first week of August. We checked in and our room was comfortable with 2 queen size beds. When I made the reservation, I spoke to a front desk agent. She suggested a room that had been 2 small hotel rooms prior that were now separated by a set of French Doors. We were traveling with our 6’1” 15 year old teenage son. We wanted a little privacy, but did not need a true suite. The room was a little on the small side and one bed was very comfy, the other little harder. The room was furnished tastefully with suitable period furniture with a small table and a few chairs. There was not really a sitting area, but this did not prove to be an issue with us. The bathroom was modern and very clean. Our room looked out towards the west and the sunset was beautiful.

We did have one problem; we had hung the maid service tag on our door prior to departing the day for Red Stone. When we came back, very tired and a little grumpy – there was note on the sign saying the room had not cleaned – they did not want to disturb us. No clean towels, no shampoo, unmade beds – we were not happy campers. We called downstairs and the front desk agent, Annie was so nice, you could not stay upset with her or the Hotel. They discounted our room for that night and I do not think we would have been upset in the AM either way. Their front desk staff is some of the best I have ever seen in the Hospitality business.

The manager has done a great job in hiring the correct staff and has trained them well. The Housekeeping staff needs some work.

We will return to the Hotel Denver and hopefully the room we stay in will have the beautiful wood floors restored. We looked in a few other rooms and all were very different. Some rooms had wood floors that looked original, our room had carpet. It felt like there was an old wood floor below the carpet. That was the only thing really missing from the room was old hardwood.

Also, they really should offer slightly more for breakfast. I understand they do not want to offer a true breakfast, but an apple and a Nature Valley Granola bar will did not work for Breakfast. Just plan on very little for Breakfast or go out. There are so many options, like BelVita breakfast biscuits that they could still keep it very simple but have a few more options.
I am rating this hotel stay a little higher than it should be with the housekeeping issue, but the hotel front desk staff did such a great job – they earned they rating.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sierra T
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Been here before, liked it. This time I'm told we are in the "Denver" section, which has been renovated most recently. It is not good. Furniture is pathetically antiquated, bathroom towels worn off as in a third class European hotel, low pressure in the shower, no breakfast, TV small and inconveniently installed. You can have all of this across the river, at the Colorado Hotel, at half the Denver Hotel price

Room Tip: Ask NOT to be put in the "Denver" section, best is if the Penthouse is available, it's...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Oliver S
Candace C, Manager at Hotel Denver, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Oliver S.

Thank you again for choosing us here at The Hotel Denver and we appreciate you taking the time to offer your feedback on your recent visit.

We value all feedback from our guests and consider it helpful as we continue to take care of each guest in the highest of qualities. If you would like to futher discuss how we can continue to improve our guest experiences, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

We look forward to the opportunity to host you on your next visit to Glenwood Springs!
Warm Regards,
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed August 6, 2013

From making my reservation, to my departure this is by far one of the best experiences I've had ANYWHERE. I have a dog, who is very much a part of my family. Hotel Denver is extremely accomodating, there are no pet fees, and no deposits. We had an incredible room for a "pet room". Our room had hardwood floors, a large stained glass window that opened to let in air, beautiful furniture, and a large bathroom. The front desk staff is what really impressed me. When I made my reservation they asked the name of my dog- "to make sure she felt welcomed as well"- I mean, who does that?! When we arrived the gentleman working (and it was late) asked us what time we would be up so he could make sure there was coffee ready. The hotel itself is beautiful. And the location can't be beat. You are within 5 minutes of everything you could need, the attahed brewery is nice, but there are tons of great little local restaurants/bars just down the street along the main street. I will never stay anywhere else in Glenwood. There are probably cheaper "chain" hotels west of town, but its' not worth it. This was a couple of dollars more, and after skipping the pet fee, probably cheaper! LOVE YOU HOTEL DENVER!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank megssy
Rocky Mtns
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in rm 309 last week. This is a very interesting hotel. I have stayed in some lovely historic hotels such as the Oxford in Denver. This hotel seems to aspire to that but doesn't quite make it.
Positives- charming, great location, friendly staff, apparently pet-friendly as tons of dogs, effective a/c, reasonably priced.
Less Positive- Many of the rooms have tired carpeting (ours had newly refinished
floors) and somewhat random (almost garage sale-like) antique furnishings. The drop ceiling w acoustic (?) tiles makes you feel like you're staying in grandma's basement, shower head was below my head and I'm only 5'7", no breakfast, no decaf, no fitness facility, many rooms including ours overlook the lobby (they call it the plaza) so we started hearing conversations beginning at 530 am.
I would return but I would be very careful in requesting specific rooms.

• Stayed August 2013
April C, Owner at Hotel Denver, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We consider feedback a gift and take it very seriously. Yes, please let us help you select a room on your next visit. There are some hints below.

We are continually remodeling our rooms to return them to their authentic, 98 year-old charm. This includes restoring floors (wood), ceilings, walls (brick), and also incorporating modern showers, TVs and internet. Showers are tricky as they simply did not exist in Glenwood Springs in 1915. Hint - request my favorite smaller rooms 300,302, 446, or the larger rooms 304,204, or 442. If you are interested in how far we have come on the remodels, and what the future plans are, there is a blog accessible from our website about The Evolution of the Rooms. Again, thank you for the valuable feedback - 309 is moving up the list!
Colorado
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We've stayed at this hotel twice now, and have loved it both times. The location is great, in the middle of everything. The rooms are cozy - with beautiful antiques and homemade quilts. It's a lovely place to stay, and I'd certainly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple