“Love it!”

Sunlight Lodge Bed & Breakfast
Ft Morgan, Co
“Love it!”
Reviewed April 26, 2010

We have been making Sunlight Mountain Inn an annual trip for years and have never been disappointed. Gretchenn and Pierre have always made us feel welcome and at home. I enjoy the cookies, the hearty breakfast, the hot tub overlooking the mountain, the fireplaces and the bar/restaurant. The mountain is a short walk away and the Inn offers discount lift tickets. We wouldn't stay any where else. I'm already looking forward to next ski season.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank AllyCreek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Thornton, Colorado
Reviewed April 26, 2010

We have been up to Sunlight 3 or 4 times in the winters and we love it. The mountain is usually quite empty, good for a skiier like me but has its share of blues and blacks. Watching the locals is great fun, and stopping at the bar after a day of skiing is nice too. Even though it is "30 minutes up a curvy road" as some might say, you get to see some true beauty. The peacefulness is a wonderful thing. My husband and I look forward to these little getaways.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed April 23, 2010

Owners were easy to deal with and the Inn's room rates can't be beat. The breakfast is very good - except the coffee was so weak we couldn't drink it. Dinner was served only one night during our week and I thought it was only fair and a bit overpriced. The rooms seem like they are in need of a little maintenance (clean or replace the carpet, for instance). The common areas are cozy and nice, although the two large fireplaces never had a fire lit in them. This would have been a welcoming touch at the end of the day for the returning skiiers. I would recommend this Inn, but only with the caveats stated above.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
chicago
Reviewed April 7, 2010

This was our 5th time to Sunlight Inn and it did not disappoint. The inn is cozy and feels like your own personal cabin in the mountains. Our kids love the family atmosphere and meeting other kids. Service is great and Gretchen and Pierre have become good friends. The breakfasts are delicious and we also enjoyed relaxing in the bar with friends after a full day of skiing. The mountain is just outside the door, with no traffic, expensive lift tickets and plenty of nature. This was another relaxing week with the kids and our group of friends we travel here with year after year. Thanks for another memorable vacation.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
iowa
Reviewed May 28, 2009

My husband and I had a lovely time in the 'romance suite'. We were there for a short stay on our honeymoon in somewhat of an off season. The room was romantic, and large, and the view was just absolutely wonderful. The hummingbirds were a delight to watch in the morning. I'm certain we will return

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
FL
Reviewed April 2, 2009

We were so lucky to find the Sunlight Mountain Inn on a friends advice. We had been searching for a place to ski in Colorado that wasn't expensive or crowded. A bit concerned reading the previous review, but we know that everything is all in what you make of it.

We stayed for 4 nights in early March. Much to our delight the Sunlight Mountain Inn was exactly what we were looking for - absolutely charming and cozy and literally a 5 minute walk to the ski lifts.

We arrived very late night after traveling from Tampa, FL. I had called the week before and our hosts kindly said they would leave keys and directions to our room at the desk. The lobby has a big fireplace, cozy seating and rustic western decor. We had reserved the Romance Suite, which is the only one with a fireplace. It was warm and cozy with wood stocked and ready for a fire. This room had a big, beautful four-poster king sized bed with a lace canopy over the top. The mattress did leave a little to be desired, but the linens and down comforter were extra soft and plush. Of course, I was delighted to find homemade chocolate chip cookies on the nightstand!

In the morning we went into the dining room for breakfast and met our hosts. The dining room has plenty of tables, windows all across the back, and a lovely decor with trees, tiny lights and a unique collection of birdhouses. Far more than your usual B&B continental breakfasts, she offered up eggs, bacon, ham, hashbrowns, pancakes, toast, bagels, fruit, cereal, juices, coffee... and on and on. There is nothing like a real hearty breakfast after a full day of traveling and getting ready to go skiing. Breakfast is served from 8am to 930am (which is ideal for us). We finished our official check-in and got information on the best and least expensive ski rentals. The Sunlight Inn also offers discounted lift tickets.

After a long day of skiing and soaking in the big fancy bathtub in our room, in the evenings we went downstairs to the small restaurant and bar. Great little bar menu, which was cooked to perfection - loved the pizza! The restaurant had a huge cozy fireplace, a pool table and a couple of video games. Our bartender was a sweet girl who is also a ski instructor by day. We spent the evenings chatting with locals, who work on the mountain, as well as our hosts. It was so fun to get to know them and they filled us in on all the area things we might enjoy, as well as a little history on how they came to own the Inn.

There were only a few other guests during our stay. One was a family with 5 children that we could hear running around in the mornings, but it was nothing disruptive at all. There is a beautiful deck all across the back of the Inn that faces the ski area. The hottub is huge and always ready. At breakfast you can watch the mountain wake up as the groomers finish and the staff start coming to work, turning on music and starting up the lifts. There are a couple types of winter birds that frequented the deck, that we so enjoyed and we also spied a tiny snow white ermine stealing bird food.

I checked off 'pet friendly' as our hosts told us they are - In the Summer Only. I was happy to meet their two little dogs that live at the Inn too. The previous reviewer must have been expecting the crowne plaza and sounds like they got the same treatment they dished out to start with. If the Inn was more crowded or a party was going on during our stay, we would have joined in and made some new friends. Yes, the Inn is old and creaky, but that is what the "charm" in it is all about. The housekeepers did a very nice job and even restocked us firewood every day. Our hosts were so very nice, accommodating, pleasant and took care of anything we needed. They gave us directions to the local hot springs and where the Colorado Winery's are located. When we left they were both there to personally thank us and say goodbye.

I would love to visit again anytime and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Sunlight Mountain Inn.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shellbell524
Evergreen, Colorado
Reviewed February 19, 2009

We took advantage of a Valentine's weekend ski, swim & stay package offered through Sunlight Mountain Inn, which theoretically made the weekend a reasonably 'good' value. Unfortunately the stay at the Inn was a big disappointment -- principally due to how the hotel is managed (or mismanaged as it turns out).

We arrived on a Friday night and found a place that COULD HAVE BEEN beautiful and very appealing, but which ultimately fell short of its potential. The dining area, downstairs 'lounge', and lobby were nice enough -- rustic decorations and relatively inviting. When I first walked in to the Inn my first thought was 'this is a decent place that could be so much nicer' with some TLC and creative restoration. However, things went downhill from this initial impression.

Our room was not what I would expect in a "bed and breakfast" and the pictures on the web are deceiving -- the comforter in our room (#2) was stained and worn, the carpet was stained and badly worn, the baseboard heater was falling apart (a concern of mine since we were traveling with a curious toddler), and the door was a cheap, ill-fitting, residential closet-type door in terrible condition. There was no soap, but they did give me some when I asked for it. The heat, toilet, and hot water worked OK, so that was something. They did provide a pack-n-play in decent shape for our toddler, but I'm glad I brought my own sheet and blanket for in it. The 2nd day we got some clean (but stained) mismatched towels and only one washcloth for 3 of us. The floors creak very badly. When people walked around upstairs it sounded like a bunch of elephants -- this 'old house effect' might be considered 'quaint' by some, but in a facility as large as this some effort to make the rooms more noise proof would go a long way to making it a nicer (& quieter) place to stay.

At this stage we were thinking that it was 'not great, but acceptable.' That first night other guests staying in rooms nearby appeared to be having some type of unplanned reunion. They were exceedingly loud until after 1 AM in the morning -- I couldn't believe that the Inn wouldn't have a 'quiet hours' policy or at least ask especially noisy guests to quiet down. Somehow my toddler slept through this and I didn't want to open the door for fear of waking her, so I didn't go out to complain. It sounded like a party going on just down the hallway in the dining room. While this was not exactly the owners' or manager's fault, they could/should have made an effort to do something about it out of respect for the rest of their guests. That experience left me in somewhat of a foul humour in the morning (& tired), but we had plans to snowboard and focused on the day ahead. We did have a nice buffet breakfast with homemade blueberry pancakes, bacon, eggs, etc. We have no complaints on the breakfast and the lady in charge of the food was friendly and efficient. Then we were off to snowboard for the day.

The Inn is adjacent (just across a small stream valley) to Sunlight Mountain Resort and you can walk across a small footbridge to get to it easily. The snow was wonderful and the resort is a small (3 lifts), friendly, decently-run place. Their daycare was 'OK,' but it seemed like an afterthought rather than a planned facility/service -- our daughter did fine despite the ad hoc facility. Her care providers were foreign visitors who were sweet enough. It cost $80 for a full day of care, including lunch -- no 'napping area,' but they did their best with a pack-n-play in the office (our daughter took an extra long nap, so I guess she was OK with the noisy ad hoc arrangement). However, after we returned to the Inn we realized that they had not changed her diaper the whole time she was there and I don't think she got any snacks either -- these things were disconcerting, but she was no worse for wear.

Back at the Inn we took showers and drove into Glennwood Springs to go to the hot springs and out to dinner. We got back to the Inn a bit later than our daughter's normal bed time so we wanted to get her down to sleep asap. We were very tired from snowboarding (& from not sleeping much the night before), so we also were going to get ready and go to bed -- it was a bit after 9 PM at this stage. Shortly after we turned off the lights and got our toddler in bed the music started from the downstairs lounge, which was directly under our room. It was loud enough to keep me from sleeping and I was concerned it would keep/wake our daughter up. I could hear the words of the Jimmy Buffet songs they were playing loud and clear. I went downstairs and asked nicely if they could turn the music down and reminded them that we had a toddler we were trying to get to sleep. The owner, Ms Dubois, told me (with a very sour look on her face) in no uncertain terms that "they were having a party and it would last at least until 11 PM" and that "no they were not going to turn down the music." I was flabbergasted that she would be so blatently rude to a guest who was paying good money to be there for the weekend. I shook my head, gave her a dirty look and stomped back upstairs to tell my husband what happened. We almost packed up right then and there to leave, but our daughter had fallen asleep despite the noise and I hated to wake her. I fumed for awhile and finally was able to doze off later in the night with my fingers jammed into my ears and a pillow on my head. In the morning we had another decent buffet breakfast (apple cinnamon pancakes, etc.). The nice lady running the buffet told me the owner was really tired -- she had witnessed the rude response the night before -- but that didn't pass the muster with us. I told her how upset I was about the treatment we had gotten and that the night before the place was ridiculously loud, too. I also mentioned that we had very nearly left because of the owner's rude behavior and that we would certainly not be staying there again.

After breakfast we got our stuff together to leave (we had to be out by 11 AM). During this time I wandered around the Inn a bit more with my daughter and saw the owners sitting in the dining room -- the owner who was rude to me looked straight at me and never even offered an apology or friendly greeting. I might have forgiven her/them if she had apologized and I probably would not have written as negative a review as this, but she could have cared less. When we checked out Mr. Dubois offered my husband a half-hearted apology for the noise and he made some flimsy excuse about having 'good days and bad days.' He was basically unconcerned about having compromised our stay -- he said that they had thrown this party together at the request of some of the other guests at the last minute.

The owners simply had no regard for their other guests. Frankly I don't think a full-scale bar/lounge belongs in a real "bed and breakfast" anyway -- it is certainly not something we were looking for when I went there. The place was more like a noisy, run-down, poorly run hostel than a place "offering the ultimate accommodations for relaxation, quiet and beautiful scenery year round" (that quote is straight from their website -- what a lie!).

You can be sure that we WILL NOT stay there again unless it is sold and put under new management. The location is great and the building has potential -- it is too bad the opportunity for a successful customer-service oriented B&B is being squandered. There are simply too many places -- nicer than this one and better managed -- to choose to go back to a place that treats you like they treated us. I recommend the Minturn Inn (near Vail) if you are looking for a truly nice bed and breakfast in the Colorado Mountains near skiing and other outdoor opportunities.

PS. Mr. & Mrs. Dubois (owners) -- If you are reading this -- sell the place to someone who wants to make it a truly nice place (we'd be interested!) -- it sure doesn't seem like you're happy to be there and you could be free of your 'customer service' obligations.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family