“Bugs, foul smell in lobby, mildew, lousy breakfast”
Review of Glenwood Suites

Glenwood Suites
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
Tulsa, OK
“Bugs, foul smell in lobby, mildew, lousy breakfast”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I had reservations for a 6 night stay for my family of 6 - a room with 2 queen beds and a 2 bedroom suite with a full kitchen. I noticed a foul smell in the lobby (like a dirty bathroom) upon arrival and I should have cancelled my reservation then. The first of the rooms had poorly patched carpet and also had a bald spot in the carpet. As for the second room, each night for 3 nights my husband received bug bites (BED BUGS!!!). We checked the room and within a few minutes located 3 bugs - 1 on the headboard, 1 on the wall above the bed and another under the mattress. Who knows how many other bugs were in the room. I spoke to Sean and he compted another room for my husband and me. My elderly inlaws remained in the original room since it would be hard for them to change rooms and we needed the kitchen. The new room had mildew around the bathtub. Breakfast had minimal choices and did not vary at all. We ended up cooking our own breakfast in our room. Would I stay here again? Definitely not!!

Room Tip: Avoid room 371 - it had bed bugs.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank OK_taqi
Tina L, Regional Manager at Glenwood Suites, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to respond on Tripadvisor. We would like to respond to the allegations because we take a comment such as the one you made very seriously. We tried to relocate you when you made the initial claim of bugs. However, you refused and stayed in the room for an additional three days. Upon your departure we had our professional service come in, investigate that room and the surrounding and have no bed bugs. We also comped the room for you in good faith. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced but are pleased to report there are in fact no bed bugs. We maintain records and have regularly scheduled service to guarantee this doesn't happen. Thanks again for your time and we were able to use it for further training at the front desk as well. Happy travels to you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
SC
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We wanted to help offset some of the negative reviews that we saw prior to our visit. We stayed three nights...had a clean and very comfortable bed/room. The breakfasts were as good as one would find at a Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express - scrambled eggs, waffles, oatmeal, various breads (including whole wheat, which we like). The staff was highly accommodating and responsive to every question or need that we had. In short, based on our experience, we would recommend this hotel. The purpose of our trip was to go to the Glenwood Hot Springs, and we thought that the accommodations and pricing were in line with our expectations.

Room Tip: We followed advice of other travelers and requested a room away from the highway and the outside smo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JadeJade88
Tina L, Regional Manager at Glenwood Suites, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
We certainly appreciate your time to write your considerate review. We all work hard to ensure our guests have the best stay possible and even though occassionally there are errors made. I speak for all of us when I say the culture of our hotel group promotes continued efforts to improve. It's great to be part of a team that recognizes this and even better when a guest does!
We welcome you any time and please take advantage of our packages. We have partnered with the Hot Springs pool and Sunlight Mountain and can now offer room, pool passes and lift tickets on request. Have a great holiday season!
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed December 2, 2012

this hotel proved to be ideal for my family once things were straightened out.Nothing major; just not the right room for my family.After contacting an extremely helpful night manager named Cameron he was able to make our stay very comfortable for us and was also very knowledgable of the area and the establishments local .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I look forward to passing your compliments on to Cameron. I aplogize if there was an error in reservations but it sounds as though Cameron proved to be able to resolve the issue in a timely manner. Please do join us again on your next trip to Glenwood Springs.
Reviewed October 21, 2012

For a long trip, definitely consider one of the executive suites. They are essentially one bedroom apartments with very comfortable living area, extremely comfortable bed and a nice big bathroom. We have a spa suite so we also have a jacuzzi tub, one of those little luxuries that I am willing to pay some extra bucks for since I can't get one into my own home. The kitchen has a full-size frig and oven along with plates, glasses, etc. Really nice cable offerings as well, along with DVR that works! First time I've seen that in any hotel anywhere. The hotel is a little off the beaten track but small price to pay for such nice accommodations at a very reasonable price considering what you get. Plus, right across the road is the Colorado Tiver with a nice walking path. And although this hotel is next to the interstate, it's very quiet in the rooms.

Stayed October 2012
Tina L, Manager at Glenwood Suites, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
I am writing this to say thank you for your compliments and your stay. We have several of the suites you are referring to and even larger ones for families or groups traveling together. We are currently working on putting several packages together which include local attractions and events. Please consider staying with us again on your next trip through Glenwood Springs.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 1, 2012

When going to bed that evening around 10p I did the bedbug check (I know I should of did it at check-in) and found some LIVE small worm like things. I brought this down to the front desk and was told they are 'larva". The clerks were very apologetic. One of the clerks contacted the manger who suggest they go up and vacuum out our bed and explain they are harmless. Maybe so but........... at that point I'm not sleeping in a bed with live worms, harmless to them or not. The clerk attempted to call around but was unable to find another room as everything in the area was full. After much back and forth with front desk staff was decided they would get us two roll-a-ways and we would sleep on them in our room. When we took the sheet off the roll-a-way there was actually a bunch of food and crumbs on the mattress, which also was thread bare. Now who would put a sheet over a dirty mattress. Was just so gross. Slept in our car.............. was a long night. Oh and when we went into the garage to get our car thier was three kids smoking pot in the garage. The clerks were apologetic and did what they can to help. The manager I don't believe cared at all and was disappointed with his attitude.

Room Tip: Stay some where else.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Gransm
Tina L, Regional Manager at Glenwood Suites, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
On behalf of our entire team please accept our apology. You can see by our other reviews this is not a common experience. We consider this unacceptable and would like the opportunity to make things right with you. The entire team on duty during your stay has been contacted in regards to your comments. Please contact me directly at 720-495-2762. I do travel frequently but check voicemail daily and will return your call if I'm unable to accept as you ring. Measures have been taken on site and we'd now like to address them with you personally if you will give us another chance. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Tina Long
Regional Manager
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed one night at the Glenwood Suites and it was a nice clean place, seemed pretty new and had a friendly staff. Just across the street from the river and about a 5 minute drive into downtown Glenwood Springs. The young woman at the frt. desk gave us good directions and also recommended a couple of places for dinner (The Grind was great). Beds in the room were comfortable and there was a free breakfast in the morning, that was very good

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and encourage you to check our specials and packages any time you come through the area. We have lots of activities year round and can always help you find great things to do should you need any guidance.

Happy travels!
Tina Long
Regional Manager
Colorado
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I can’t even describe how disappointed we were with our stay. We have stayed here on two previous visits to Glenwood so we thought staying here for four nights would be a good idea- we were wrong.
(Day One) On our first night we noticed the parking lot was completely full with Union Pacific vehicles and other commercial vehicles so we had to park underground which has no security cameras so we felt uncomfortable with that. No one was at the front desk to greet us or check us in and when we finally found someone he was not friendly at all! We looked around for the baggage (dolly) to retrieve our luggage from the car and were told from the front desk gentleman “it’s around here somewhere you will have to go and look for it”. So far, not getting a warm fuzzy feeling at all.
Later on in the same evening around 9PM we heard yelling and screaming coming from the parking lot outside our window, I opened up the door to find approx. eight men fist fighting each other, one had a crowbar and was hitting another man with it and there was blood all over the parking lot and sidewalks. Another person was throwing up all over the landscaping and they all seemed drunk. We had seen all of these men at the Manager’s Reception where they serve alcohol for free (one drink) then you can purchase as much as you want. They were all from Union Pacific Railroad working in Glenwood Springs. (They all had also taken all of the outdoor tables and were congregating there earlier in the evening). I immediately called the front desk and the one person staff went outside and told them to break it up, these “gentlemen” continued to fist fight with each other and the police and ambulance were called. It was quite a sight to see.
After everyone was taken away either in handcuffs or an ambulance at 11pm we decided to go to bed, we were offered an apology from the front desk person that evening, but the manager never called us. The front desk staff told us that the Union Pacific workers were staying there on an ongoing basis (way to ruin a decent hotel.) **Warning**- the Comfort Inn across the street also owned by the same company had a lot of company trucks in their parking lot.
(Day Two)
We decided to go to the “free” breakfast- had it not been free I would not have paid for it. Cold everything- the coffee was really bad, the area where the breakfast food was very dirty, the tables all needed cleaned, the funny thing was all of the housekeepers were in there eating and not one was cleaning-Suggestion: I would take bananas with you because there wasn’t any fruit in sight except old outdated apples. This freebie was a pass. We returned to our room only to have it filled up with cigarette smoke coming from below- I opened the door to see there was a bench right below our patio and a smoking area- drifting right into our room- I went to the front desk and insisted they move the bench so smoke wouldn’t be blowing in our door and windows, they did do this, but it was moved back by the time we checked out- if you don’t want cigarette smoke blowing in your room all day DO NOT get room #251.
(Day Three)
We were gone most of the day sightseeing and when we returned our room was very hot, we had left the A/C running but it was still hot, we called the front desk and they had someone come to check it out. The A/C was frozen over and was full of ice, the worker told us this always happens with this A/C unit. So we sat there for the next two hours while he picked ice from it and got it running again. We also noticed no drinking water was left in our room, no lotion left in the bathroom, and it looked like the bathroom had not been cleaned.
(Day Four)
We checked out a day early!! YEA!! Deciding this wasn’t worth the $$ and we went somewhere else for our last night.
All in all we will never stay here again or recommend it. The first thing I will do is ask a SMALL hotel BEFORE booking a room is, do you rent out rooms to corporations? If they say yes, I would look somewhere else. Second, even though it’s a non smoking hotel, is the smoking area close to the room we have? And thirdly, if it looks like a lemon on the first day of vacation- MOVE that day, chances are it won’t get better, only worse.

Room Tip: Do not get room #251 unless you like cigarette smoke blowing into your room all day and night. Ther...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank okcolorado
I want to start by thanking you for your business. Your opinions are very important to us. Due to the nature of your comments, research and inquiry to the events was needed. Because there are several incidents you are citing, I'd prefer to discuss anything I can do to earn your business back personally. Our corporate business is quite valued and security is important to all of the companies that lodge with us. We continually exceed their expectations and this is in fact a one-of-a -kind incident. Proper channels were taken to address the situation. You had mentioned you stayed with us twice previously, which is why you came back. I hope you will be willing to give us another chance, knowing that is was not our normal level of service. I can be reached at 720-495-2762. Thank you for your consideration.