“STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS DUMP!!!”
Review of 1st Choice Inns

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glenwood Springs
1st Choice Inns
Ranked #23 of 24 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
VALRICO, FLORIDA
“STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS DUMP!!!”
Reviewed May 24, 2007

DO NOT STAY HERE!!! I was on the last leg of a trip out west with my two children and we were (unfortunately) coming into Glenwood Springs after dark. I'd been driving about 12 hours and called my husband at home to get on the internet and find some hotels in the area. After calling several of the numbers he'd given me, one of the hotels suggested this dump since all others in the area seemed to be filled for the evening.

For $50 bucks a night, it seemed a good deal with 2 beds, a fridge and microwave and a non-smoking room - NOT.

After checking in and reserving for a second night, I turned the corner to go upstairs with my 2 small daughters and there was a couple in a - should we say - "compromised" situation on the couch in the hallway.

As we walked upstairs, the dirt, crumbs and scum on the carpeting was so thick you could rake it up.

The cleaning staff apparently uses massive amounts of cinnamon to disguise the odor of the smoke and filth in this hotel.

Our "non-smoking" room, at first glance, looked somewhat nice. However, as the night wore on, the stench of cigarette smoke permeated the room and became almost unbearable. I attributed it to a lone rebel defying the rules - but I was wrong.

The following morning, with my face swollen and my sinuses affected from the smoke, I went downstairs to partake of their "continental breakfast". I explained my dilemma to the front desk "person". They pulled up my room number and proceeded to tell me that they had to charge me more for the current night because I wasn't charged enough the night before. He said the only way he could determine who was smoking was if he knocked on a door. I said "OK", meaning "go ahead".

I explained that I understood that the charge was already made against my credit card. He said "no", that he would have to charge me now. I explained that there was no indication that I would be charged more.

He grumbled and said under his breath ..."cheapest room in town"....

But he charged the same amount as the night before.

We went out for the day and stayed away until 6pm, when we returned to our room for the night.

At 1:30 am, after putting perfume to my nose and soaking a kleenex with perfume to block the cigarette smell, I told my oldest daughter that I just couldn't see staying there till later in the morning when I couldn't breathe now. I went to the front desk.

I explained the situation to the desk clerk who told me he couldn't refund my charge because I would have to wait till Monday when the person came in who was in charge of that.

I asked for the corporate office number. I was told that it is individually owned and the owner is the one who will make the decision.

I got my 2 little girls in the car and we left that hole at 1:30 am. and drove out of there.

I was told the hotels in this area are all booked up because companies are putting their workers in these places. It means that tourists passing through have to suffer the consequences.

I wish there was something I could do to get my $55 bucks back. This place is a dump and a dive.

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT STAYING HERE!!

• Liked — Absolutely nothing.
  • Disliked — The entire facility.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank BILLIE195

Couples
Solo
Business
Evergreen Colorado
Reviewed February 15, 2007

This was by far the worst place I have ever stayed! Noise, dirty & the front dest people were the worst. Bathroom was at best creepy. Bring a cheap pair of slippers because you will want to throw them away when you leave after walking on the carpet. I really should have went with my gut instincts and left, but I relly didnt want to hassel with it...My mistake. Makes me shudder to think when the bed spreads my have been washed??? Their so call free dinner was the biggest rip off of all! This was when it was knowns as "Marshall Dillons" Our free dinner cost us $40+ $'s. My friend ordered the Vegatable Alfredo & she was charge extra for the vegetables!! Xtra charge for everything...butter, sour cream etc... when we question the waiter, he became hostil and insisted he wasn't ripping us off....unbelivebale behavior screeming & yelling at us to the point our children were frighten of him. We complained to the front desk, but were told "We have never had a complaint about him before (shrug of the shoulders), another words "Oh Well..Go away attitude. Pay a bit more down the street, you won't be sorry! This place was a dump a couple of years back & from the other reviews it still is. Feels as if your staying at a "Working Girls Inn!.The Chamber of Commerce should be ashamed of it's self to have this place on their web site.

Stayed June 2005
12 Thank Skinny-1-7

Travelers are raving about these Glenwood Springs hotels

Denver, CO
Reviewed July 16, 2006

I went to Glenwood Springs with my fiance for a romantic trip. We stayed at the 1st choice inn for two nights. I can honestly say that this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in (and I have stayed in some bad ones), I would much rather of gone camping then stayed here. The walls are paper thin you can hear when someone is walking around upstairs or taking a shower. All of the three hot tubs were broken. The mattress was VERY hard and lumpy and the room had a very moldy/dirty look to it. Things in the room were either missing or broken or so dirty that you didn't want to use them. Whatever you do, don't stay here it is absolutely disgusting!

• Stayed July 2006
12 Thank Tessath
Reviewed June 29, 2006

We went as a group, it was terrible! As noted in the other reviews, leaking bathrooms, no AC in summer, when we complained we were blown off, we did manage to get one night's stay refunded, but we had to find another place in the middle of a motorcycle run when there was nothing available...we were lucky to find one room down the road...the chamber of commerce and health dept should close this place down...

• Stayed June 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 15, 2006

Disgustingly dirty from top to bottom. I feel sorry for the couple who own this place. Evidently they got into something they can't graciously get out of.

The city of Glenwood Springs should step in and shut this place down to prevent people from wasting their money. We had reservations for a week and left after 1 day.

Stayed December 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 8, 2006

My husband & I went there on a fantastic deal they had. We stayed 2nights and were given in the deal Dinner at the resturant right there with the establishment. I want to say Fantastic food cozy atmosphere they made us feel like we were a part of the small community and at home we also received tickets to the glenwood pool wow that was wonderful. The rooms were very clean and the amenities in the room fantastic Refrigerator & hair dryer & Coffee pot if anyone found this place not to there liking then they must be someone unable to please.

• Stayed April 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 8, 2006

Absolutely the worst place i have ever been stayed for 13 days. related to company stay.checked in on Dec.20 throught Jan.3 i agree with some tripadisor member who stayed there, the room are disgusting and dispair and also the hall way is so smelly with converted club rooms.rude desk people, in the rooms are so smelly like mold and mildew i was sick everyday with headache, sore throat, feel like handover mostly everyday. ever since staying there our room carpet was like never been vaccam and my bed was never made perfect. no wash cloth, every time i call to the front desk asking for a towel people are so rude. after i came home after new year i still feel like crap. i think it's about time i see a doctor. so people out there please don't stay at this hotel....

Stayed December 2005