“Satisfying, Flavorful and Comfortable”

The Italian Underground Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Centennial, Colorado
“Satisfying, Flavorful and Comfortable”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

The Italian Underground is a small establishment in the basement of a building near the walking bridge over the Colorado River. So it is very conveniently located to the hotels near the Hot Springs Pool.

I repeat, it is small. So expect to wait for your dinner because it's good and they do not take reservations. As a group of 7 our wait was a little shorter than for some of the couples and groups of 4. It is VERY intimate.

The hot bread they serve while you wait for your food is excellent. Great elasticity and a good crust. I wouldn't describe it as a crusty bread, though. Lots of very good garlic butter is served with it in tiny ramekins. They featured three specials at dinner. While several in my party ordered one of them, I ordered Linguini with Clam Sauce from the menu. It was so good. There was a perfect amount of fresh parsley chopped into the dish, the clams were so meaty (not at all chewy) and there was PLENTY of garlic in it... Chunks of it... Mmmmmm. The salad included with the entree came with a choice of three in house dressings: Thousand Island, Blue Cheese and Italian. I chose the Blue Cheese and it was delightful. So many times, Blue Cheese dressings have a definite bite. This one was smooth and creamy. Spumoni or Raspberry Sherbet were the included dessert choices to top off the meal. I don't think anyone in my party was disappointed with their meal.

If I were to share ANY negative, it would be that they do not serve fresh grated Parmesan with the entree. One small thing...

Denver, Colorado
“Good italian food!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Fresh bread, small salad, and small scoop of sherbert or spumonti is included with the meal. A bit of the wait, but worth it!

Colorado
“Long wait for a table, not worth the wait.”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Small restaurant very popular with the locals, we waited about 45 minutes for a table in a very small, very cramped, hot restaurant. Food wash okay but we weren't impressed, later the hotel clerk told us there isn't a good Italian restaurant in town and we'd have to agree.

Denver, CO
“Pretty Average Fare, But Good Prices”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We had a couple of varieties of spaghetti and a personal pizza. A small salad comes with the major entrees. The spaghetti is very average. Nothing remarkable about it, but nothing wrong with it either. Pizza was fairly good, but it is hard to mess up a plain cheese pizza.
Service was great. Tables are close together, but I wouldn't say it was loud.
There is nothing wrong with this place if you have moderate expectations and would like a reasonably priced place to eat in downtown Glenwood.

• Visited June 2013
Brighton, Colorado, United States
“A great little "hole in the wall!"”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is a small restaurant located in the basement of a building. It has about 20 tables and a small bar, but it has plenty of atmosphere, great service and great food. I had one of the best vodka martinis ever. They used Grey Goose and the price was only $8.00. Amazingly reasonable for the vodka used. Our waitress was very friendly and gave an excellent recommendation on a wine to go with dinner. There were four of us and we had lasagna, spaghetti and the fettuccini with shrimp and they were all delicious. The portions were generous and they were all reasonably priced. If I lived in Glenwood Springs this would be THE italian restaurant that I would always go to.

• Visited June 2013