“small place. good food.”

The Italian Underground Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“small place. good food.”
Reviewed October 27, 2011

This restaurant is very small, so we had to wait for a table for over an hour. The food was good. Not sure if it was quite worth such a long wait though. And I don't think they take reservations. Very homy atmosphere and friendly staff.

• Visited October 2011

“Worth the wait for food but the service is questioable.”
Reviewed October 22, 2011

We live in the area and have always enjoyed the food but it seems the service is not a guarantee. She was nice but when we asked to place an order for an appetizer she said she would be right with us, that's fine considering she was busy but to come back to our table and deliver bread, wine, etc she never once asked us what app we would like. We waited 15 maybe almost 20 just to put our order in. That's not what bugged me the most, it was when she added gratuity to a table of 4 adults one teen and 2 children one of whom didn't order anything and both under the age of 5. We tip accordingly and were a little disappointed for being gratted. Wouldn't have ripped her off but would have tipped accordingly.

Grand Junction, Colorado, United States
“cozy spot”
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Me and my husband returned here for our 7th anniversary. A friend had suggested it on our 1 year anniversary. We got there ten minutes before opening (which is at 6) so we had no wait when they opened. If you don't get there early you will have to wait a while. It's a very cozy place and good for couples or families. We enjoyed our meal. The drinks are a little on the pricy side, and I was dissapointed that the specials where all seafood, which my husband won't eat. They had three specials and I thought they could have mixed it up a bit. Service is quick. Anytime we are in Glenwood Springs, we come here for dinner.

Montrose, CO
“Not worth the wait!!!”
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Waited for over an hour for a table on a Saturday night - the hostess said the wait was approximately 45 minutes, could be more, could be less, so in all fairness, she didn't lie, but with all the people waiting, our thought was it must be worth it. We were finally seated an hour and 10 minutes later. The wait staff was the best part of the evening, but they couldn't make up for the lackluster food! The food was so marginal - the entire time I kept thinking, I can cook better than this! There were 4 in our party, we all tried different dishes. Unfortunately, there wasn't a single item we tried that was anything special. The chicken was tough and overcooked. The salad was bland, the dressing was awful. The pasta was okay - but like another reviewer said, pasta is almost impossible to screw up. The lasagna was so bad, we all tried a bite and grimaced. The worst part of the meal was the potatoes that came with the chicken - so hard you couldn't even cut them up - they were RAW! The gravy was so salty it was inedible. The portion sizes are generous, but who wants a LOT of food when it's bad? I guess the secret to enjoying a meal at the Italian Underground is to go to the bar first, have a few drinks, and then after you have a good buzz going, everything tastes good. This group of 4 won't be back any time soon - but with the crowds they have waiting on a Saturday night - it's obvious they don't care, as they know they'll fill the tables up anyway, bad food or not. Next time, I will check here before I try another out of town restaurant.

1 Thank ColoGirl43
Kanab, Utah
“A place to go stuff yourself”
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Waiting in line is not something I wanted to do in the first place (there are at least seven better restaurants on the block) but I relented as this establishment was rated so highly...although I should have read more of the reviews first to see what the rave was about. It's about family food not fine dining. For example when someone states that the fettuccine Alfredo was the best they ever had it should send up a flag that this is not a unique establishment (read Alfredo is a very simple dish that is almost impossible to make poorly). But here is our experience nevertheless:

As mentioned waiting in line was the first negative. This followed by being ushered down stairs into a small, dark, windowless cellar of checkered table cloths was the second. The atmosphere is dreary. The wait staff was prompt and friendly and smiled I think though there was not enough light to tell for sure.

As is sometimes our custom in Italian restaurants we ordered wine and an appetizer of bruschetta. The wine was a good, the bruschetta was horrid. Think a tough plank of flat bread, with halved grape tomatoes (late season and strong tasting) with hardly a hint of olive oil or garlic. Crazy bad.

We decided from that the "Italiana" food here was to local taste and would not be to our liking so we ordered the roast half chicken and a antipasto plate. There is a chicken rotisserie in the back of the room like the supermarkets use and I thought that would be a good simple dish for dinner. However before we committed I wanted to be sure that the chicken we were served was fresh off that rotisserie. I was assured it was. It wasn't. It had been sitting and had cooled down and dried out. The antipasto was simple cold cuts, pickled cauliflower, a bit of soft mozzarella and a sprinkling of olives. Nothing much but passable.

The dinner came with a salad (mixed greens right out of a super market bag) and overly sweet Italian dressing. It also comes with "free desert" of ice cream (and it that is not enough to convince you that this is not going to be fine dining then we just have different tastes).

So to be as fair as I know how, this is probably a great place to go for inexpensive family dining. We just are just not into restaurants like this and it is our fault that we didn't scope it out first.