“I would go elsewhere - Not up to the standards of most chains”

Glenwood Springs Cedar Lodge
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
Woodbury Minnesota
“I would go elsewhere - Not up to the standards of most chains”
Reviewed June 17, 2008

I’ll try not to let the fact that I got a stomach virus before I arrived at this hotel get in the way of the facts.

The motel itself is in a pretty good location, relatively quiet of freeway traffic. Glenwood Springs is located just off the freeway (I70) and tends to have freeway noise no matter where you are. We had just completed a drive from Durango to Glenwood springs – on our way to Estes the next day. After a long drive we were hoping to check in ( it was 2:00pm), but the lady in the front office was strict to the rules – no check in before 3:00pm, even though there were no other people waiting and they had to have had rooms available because the place was deserted. I can’t remember the last time I was told to come back after check in. She was nice enough to allow us to go swimming at the pool while we waited, but I personally wanted to rest on a bed, not a chair in a pool area. We checked in after 3:00 and things went well. There were a few items we needed and the staff responded but we felt that the staff was somewhat slow – 30 minutes to deliver 3 extra pillows, and about an hour to remove two starter bee hives outside our door. Staff was friendly, but slow.

The Room
It might have been my interpretation of their website or it might have been a misleading site. We reserved a two room suite, so I assume we had a kitchenette and all of us in the room had interpreted that the same way, but when we got there we only had a small refrig, a very small microwave, and not even a coffee maker. Since when does a hotel not have a coffee maker in a room? Not acceptable in my mind. They only cost $15 to add one. Since their breakfast was not open until 7, the only place to get a coffee was across the busy street to the City Market. Overall the beds were comfortable, sheets clean, towels were fine. The main sink was plugged when we got there, but we never called, for fear it would disrupt our day. Carpet was clean, no issues with cleanliness at all. One bedroom had a separate door and window, so that was nice, and there was one table with two chairs for sitting. Shower never got above luke warm so not sure what was happening. But I needed a hot shower not a cool clammy one.

The Continental breakfast
As mentioned earlier, I had a flu bug so wasn’t eating anything but based on input from the rest of the party the breakfast was pretty dismal. A few types of cereals, toast, toasted waffles, and some juice. It would have been nice to have a protein selection – hard boiled eggs maybe. Some of the major chains do a much better job, in my opinion, with cinamon rolls, eggs, belgian waffles, etc. My tea was luke warm only.

The Pool
Nice size indoor and outdoor pool. They also had a sauna, but we didn’t use it. The indoor spa – hot tub was nice and hot and enjoyable. Not too many people using the pool, which was nice. Most of the hotel was occupied by construction workers that worked in nearby Aspen. Very few families in the hotel itself and the place seemed about 40% occupancy, but one time at the front desk the lady told someone that its their busy season and they don't haggle on rates. Looked empty to me.

Overall we were disappointed, mostly in the room size and the fact that we were led to believe that there was a kitchenette, not just a micro and small refrig. Service was below par and slow to react.

• Liked — Location was quiet generally
  • Disliked — Small room, service in general, cold shower, no coffee in room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank MN_Bill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
chicago, illinois
Reviewed May 8, 2008

My family and I spent two nights at the Cedar Lodge Motel. We stayed in a room with two queen-size beds that had a small refrigerator and microwave. The room was very clean and nicely updated. The indoor pool was also nice and clean. The free continental breakfast was suffienct.
We narrowed our internet search to the Cedar Lodge Motel because we were looking for an indoor pool and hot tub and the price was right. We were hesitant to book because of the negative reviews it had on the Trip Advisor. We contacted the motel directly and was told by a staff member that the motel had been recently renovated and was under new management.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank exploringthewold
Loveland, CO
Reviewed April 16, 2008

My kids and I stayed here after a local recommended it- bad advice!! I should have known the experience was going to be marginal after the manager at the front desk fully ignored me until she finished her lengthy phone conversation. She didn't like being bothered to take my money I guess.

The room was marginal, dark, smelled like cigarettes, the beds were ok if you didn't touch the bedspreads, the breakfast was a JOKE, and some of the other guests were downright scary. We were much more comfortable camping.

My disabled son left a therapy pillow behind, when we returned the next day to get it, the manager couldn't find it but said she would call when it turned up. When she didn't return any of my inquiries and I reported her to the BBB, she said I lied about it. Oh yeah- I always lie about my son's disability and his therapy pillow because I was what? hoping to get a free night in hell?...What a sad sad place with bad bad energy- Look elsewhere for a place to stay.

• Liked — It is on the bus route
  • Disliked — no customer service, on a busy noisy highway, didn't feel safe, staff stole my son's pillow
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank Bigartbird
Cedar2102, manager at Glenwood Springs Cedar Lodge, responded to this review, October 8, 2008
This paticular guest claimed she left a pillow behind that was never found. We have corresponded with her through e-mail and explained to her that Cedar Lodge Motel should not be responsible for paying $150.00 for a pillow that was never found.
Fort Collins, CO
Reviewed April 9, 2008

There's too many other nice facilities in Glenwood Springs available for lodging, don't bother with the Cedar Lodge. Not only are the rooms extremely dated, beds hard, & service is dispicable to say the least.

I booked our stay thru email directly with Cedar Lodge and I verified the rate and AAA discount to be applied at the time of checkout. They would not honor the AAA discount when we arrived, then when I presented the email confirmation, I was rudely told that that's the way it is and was told to leave.

On top of the rate issue, the facility seems to be the stopping place for all of the construction laborers in the greater Glenwood/Aspen area. Normally this is not an issue unless being woken by a dozen diesel work trucks at 6am doesn't bother you.

I use to frequent this motel many years ago with my family and had not been there for probably the last 10 years. Needless to say, I will not be returning.

Stay at the BW Antler's Lodge...they are great!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank altadog
grand junction, colorado
Reviewed December 26, 2007

I was very happy with our stay and the Cedar Lodge Motel. The room was clean and very much up to date. The hot tub and pool were wonderful. I look forward to going back and hope I can stay longer on my next trip.

Stayed December 2007